[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Custom USB Game Controllers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: 3015-05.jpg (870KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
3015-05.jpg
870KB, 1200x900px
Hello /diy/. Currently I'm writing up plans to make a wooden dance pad so I can play Stepmania and get back in shape since hard/metal dance pads are hard to come by these days. I was hoping I could get some help in choosing a PCB.

I've made a custom control box for another old dance pad out of an original PS1 controller before, so I have okay knowledge of what needs to be done. However I'm not quite sure which PCB I should go for. I want something that's easy to work with and has a USB output so I can just hook it directly into my PC. I've heard Arduino boards would be good for this, but I've never used one before or even know what type would be the best option. Plus, they're relatively expensive and I'd like to get away with a cheaper board if I could. A crappy USB game controller off amazon I could rip the PCB board out of that would be easy to work with would be ideal.

What kind of cheap, easy to work with boards/game controllers would you recommend?
>>
Video games are for children.
>>
File: ok.jpg (29KB, 375x305px) Image search: [Google]
ok.jpg
29KB, 375x305px
>>1198332
>>
>>1198332
>fun is for children
fixed
>>
Is there something better than rubber domes that would work well on a gamepad? Or is mushiness part of the experience?
>>
>>1198330
Are you copying the super robust Cobalt Flux design? Each button is two steel plates with spacers in the corners, and then a sticker and plastic plate on top. Some other mechanisms tend to require more maintenance.
>>
>>1198332
>having an inflated sense of maturity
How's that black coffee working out for you?
Sure must suck being pretentious all the fucking time.
>>
File: dance pad.png (65KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
dance pad.png
65KB, 1000x1500px
>>1198433
Somewhat, but rather than a solid steel plate under the buttons I'm using an interlocking design. This way, the actual arrow panel will bridge the gap between the two connections rather than the panel itself completing the circuit. hopefully this will ghosting and improper button presses in the future. Pic related is the design I drew up based on a few designs I researched.
>>
>>1198532
>hopefully this will ghosting
hopefully this will prevent *ghosting
>>
>>1198330
You could get a chinese arduino leonardo clone from ebay/aliepress and use that. It supports standard usb hid output, and as it's trending at about 5$ it's pretty cheap to just get one and test if that's something that works for you.
Here's an example listing:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1Sets-Share-official-ATMEGA32U4-TQFP-ATMEGA32U4-AU-LEONARDO-R3-for-arduino-the-spot-to-non-QFN/32438050796.html

I've made controllers for konami's sound voltex/beatmania iidx using it and I don't see why it wouldn't work for stepmania too. You can get example codefor a stepmania pad here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXjj9IXUaA4

Another option might be one of those zero delay boards for fightsticks etc., but I don't have any personal experience with those. However, those work with ps3 and pc and you don't have to program or flash anything, so that's nice. Those are usually a bit more expensive, maybe 10$ or a bit more.
>>
>>1198829
This is very helpful, thanks anon.
>>
>>1198332

Fpwp
>>
File: matrix_A_B_D[1].gif (1KB, 193x186px) Image search: [Google]
matrix_A_B_D[1].gif
1KB, 193x186px
>>1198543
>hopefully this will prevent *ghosting
lol what?

ghosting is a result of using multiplexing, not the construction of the buttons.
when 3 out of for buttons in a square of the matrix is pressed the scan signal leaks through the pressed connections and registers the 4th button.
easily fixed with diodes in series with each button to prevent said leak.

do you mean bouncing?
if so that is easily handled in code.
>>
>>1199760

I believe he did mean bouncing. Which, yes, is easy to take out in software or with a simple RC filter. Or already a solved problem with my suggestion below.

Anyway...

I recommend something along these lines:

https://www.amazon.com/Reyann-Arcade-Encoder-Joystick-Fighting/dp/B00UUROWWK

I recently used a couple to make some fight sticks for a friend. Super easy, fairly cheap (you can find them cheaper than that; I just clicked the first link) no dicking around with anything on the PC or electronics side. Just look for "USB encoder". Should turn up usable stuff.

I recommend turning the corner panels into buttons, as well. Probably the center button, too. If not for the additional games that use them as directional input, then for control in the menus.

I haven't fired up SM in a long time. Wonder if they've finally implemented a proper track catalogue thing so that it doesn't have to scan the gorillion files in my collection...
>>
>>1199760
>>1199778
Sorry, yeah. Wrong terminology I suppose. What I meant by "ghosting" was say I press and hold one button, and the computer reads that one button hold as several button presses in quick succession. This was a problem that I had with the Cobalt Flux dance pad after years upon years of use. I kind of assumed that the design was at fault (that design being, one sheet of metal attached to the pad under the arrow panel acting as ground, and the arrow panel made out of metal acting as the input).

What exactly do you mean when you say this problem can be handled in code? Am I worrying about this for nothing? Because if I can use a solid sheet metal panel rather than the interlocking design it would certainly make things a heck of a lot easier.
>>
>>1199778
Also, thanks a ton for that link. That's looking to be exactly what I'm looking for.

>I recommend turning the corner panels into buttons, as well. Probably the center button, too. If not for the additional games that use them as directional input, then for control in the menus.

I'm not gonna worry about this since I'm only going to use it for Stepmania. I can just use the keyboard to select songs. And quite honestly, incorporating this into the design would take more time and likely more money. And I'm trying to make this as cheaply as possible while sill making it durable.

To be clear, I have absolutely no interest in using it for Pump It Up since I've never played that game. Besides, the dimensions of the arrow panels for that game are wildly different and would require a completely different design.
>>
>>1198330
Why does it have to be called Pi Girl? Fuck this world.
>>
>>1198330
Teensy 2.0 pretty much made for custom controllers
Has USB
Is tiny af.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.