[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help me fix

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0360.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0360.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Useless person here and suck at knowing how to do stuff. Can anyone tell us how to fix this? At the bottom of a cheap door
>>
From a dog scratching it
>>
>>1197912
make it a little smoother and fill the gap with plaster
or just smoothen and paint over
>>
>>1197912
If you have a dog your best option might be to install an aluminum plate on the door. It will cover and prevent further damage.

To fix it you could try sanding it a bit, applying filler and painting it white, maybe you can use use a fork on the filler to emulate the fake grain. Paper doors suck and will probably get damaged again.
>>
>>1197912
Buy a house not made of cardboard before the hurricane, not after
>>
>>1197920
real doors are fucking expensive and plastic doors are not a thing
>>
>>1197923

Get steel or fiberglass dummy.
>>
>>1197932
for interior? umm no
I am broke
>>
File: IMG_3375.jpg (193KB, 1018x1578px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3375.jpg
193KB, 1018x1578px
Go to Home Depot and pick up this kit, it's going to run you about $8. If it doesn't come with sandpaper grab a few sheets, say around 200 to 400 grit. Sand down the rough brown part as best you can. It's mostly cardboard so you're not going to get it perfect. Shoot for good, not great. At this point you'll want to remove a bit more, at least the size of a dime. Take that scrap piece into Home Depot and they can use it to color match some paint for you. Paint will be about $10 or so, get the Behr brand with primer already mixed in. Tell them you just want a sample size and not a full quart because you'll just need a very small amount of paint. Gloss would be too shiny and flat would be too, well, flat. Go for the matte or eggshell finish. The guy mixing the paint will help you pick what would look the best. Buy a 3 inch foam brush ($1) while you're there to apply the paint, and find something to stir the paint. NEVER SHAKE THE PAINT TO MIX IT. This causes many small air bubbles that will pop AFTER the paint has been applied and it will ruin the finish. Just stir it gently for a while. Use the scraper looking thing in the kit to apply a small amount of compound to build up the chewed part. Keep it light, a little compound goes a long way. It dries fast so work quick. Once it's dry you can sand it flush as needed. After you're done sanding apply the paint. Put a tiny bit of paint on the foam brush and feather it out to try and make it blend in to the surrounding color. Wet paint is not the same color as dry paint so don't be alarmed if the color doesn't match perfect when you apply it at first. Any other questions lmk.
>>
>>1197917
This is a great idea - use a fork and drag it along to mimic the fake grain pattern
>>
If it wasn't shitty particle board you could have just cut it with a circ saw and made a block. Don't really know if it's worth fixing such a shitty door, I guess you could fill it with plaster somehow.
>>
File: Supplies.jpg (219KB, 1528x503px) Image search: [Google]
Supplies.jpg
219KB, 1528x503px
>>1198066
Same guy here, they sell a few wall patch kits and any will work fine. HDX is the "store" brand and it works just as good. You're trying to make a cosmetic repair so at the end of the day it just has to look nice, it's not structural or anything. You really just need a scraper and the compound or "spackle" but the kit will have both and maybe some sandpaper so just get the kit. You can throw away the patch the kit comes with. It's like a giant band-aid sort of. Has a sticky back and whatnot. Don't use it. As the compound starts to dry you can gently run a fork through it one pass to help mimic the pattern around it. Hope this helps.
>>
Also OP why the fuck do you have an inside dog? Build that little shit a kennel.
>>
>>1197917
This. My uncle had a scratcher/chewer so he installed metal panels on the doors. No way to 100% fix it, but you can minimize future damage.
>>
>>1198342
wouldn't it be better if you covered metal panels with sandpaper?
so the shitty dog lost some of its nails everytime
>>
>>1198354
This. Get a pistol and put a forward grip on it, then wait.
>>
>>1198066
Wall patch / plaster will fall off, walls don't move or vibrate... or shouldn't.
Use polyester auto-body filler, like Bondo.
It won't fall off if you kick it, and will be stronger than the Melamine and particle board door
>>
>>1197912
Mold a new door out of cement.
>>
>>1197912

either kiss your security deposit goodbye or buy a new door you cheap piece of shit renter
>>
>>1197912
Might try durham's rock hard water putty.
>>
that doors like $20 just replace it once you train your dog not to fuck shit up
>>
>>1198465
>Might try durham's rock hard water putty.

This!
>>
>>1198068
why stop there, use a comb
>>
if you are broke like me mix fine sawdust with woodglue to make your own filler
close the bottom, apply pressure from the front, sand and paint when dry
>>
>>1197917
This
>>
>>1197913
> dog
Is that what you call your slave girl? Just use wall putty/ filler and spackle it smooth then repaint the whole door
>>
>>1198370
I put my boot through my mom's door as an angsty teen. Patched it before she came home from work and she hadn't noticed in over ten years. The house is currently rented and my boot shaped hole lives on in spirit. I used cheap wall spackle and paint that hardly matched.
>>
Shit is that what these whack ass doors are made of? I see why they've installed them in every room of this rental now.
>>
>>1198792
>Shit is that what these whack ass doors are made of?

You can still buy $300 dollar doors. Unless you go a lot higher, even those are mostly veneer over cheaper wood.

But that door is fine. Just prime it then paint it. no need to try to restore it because nobody will ever notice it once the color is the same. If you like, buy some joint compound and level it out, but all those people saying you need to put wood grain back are insane. If it were at eye level, yes. But down there there's no need to go crazy.

1 quart of primer, 1 quart of paint. or get that new paint that is self-priming. add some joint compound if you want perfection.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.