[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Old Vacuum Tubes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_20170622_230209.jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170622_230209.jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
Recently I found I bunch of my grandpas Yugoslav vacuum tubes (valves) in my basement. He used to be an electrical engineer so i recon he either used them for work or to repair house appliances (like our old TV)

Since I am a electrical engineering freshmen and know nothing about tubes or transistors/amplifiers I have a few questions

1. How do I test if they are in working condition ? Some of them were out of box and some were intact sealed in the box

2. What do the pins mean ? I know the basics of how the tubes work but these things have 9 pins, what are they for ?

3. Suggest something cool I could make out of them, so far I had no idea what to do with them. I found 11 of them so far and there could possibly be even more
>>
File: IMG_20170622_231241.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170622_231241.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
Just bumpin with more images
>>
File: IMG_20170622_231456.jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170622_231456.jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
Here are the boxes
>>
>>1197818
1. Find a tube tester or build a bunch of test circuits. You can also use a multimeter to check against shorts or burned filaments.
2. The same way you find out what some random IC and its pins do: read the datasheet.
3. You could insert them in your ass.
>>
Mini guitar amp?
>>
>>1197833
Too bad I don't play the guitar
>>
Don't be tempted to clean them and rub the numbers off. This is easy done. Read up on them first.
>>
>>1197818
Post a list of the numbers on the tubes/boxes.
>>
make some audio amplifier, they sound awesome.
>>
>>1197962
PV88
PCL85
PCH200
two DY86
PC900
PCF804

these are the ones that I can't read that well since the markings wore off

Two that only says PC-____
CL8____
>>
>>1198119
PCF 801 actually, not PCF804
>>
>>1198119
>PV88
It's PY88.
>CL8____
Most likely missing a P. Another PCL85?
>>
>>1198126
Wow, thanks man, you actually helped a lot

Seeing that you know a lot about these, do you know which pins on DY86 / DY85 are for the heater ? I managed to light most of them up except these two, seeing trough the glass it looks like the regular heater pins (4 and 5 I think) are soldered together on the inside
>>
>>1198127
4 and 5 like almost always.
Just download the datasheet.
>>
>>1197818
These are all tubes from TV sets. Most of them have no good parameters or values to make a amplifier from it, i.E. DY 86 is a high voltage rectifier, even the PY 88 I've seen in Your set. If the description code on the socket not readable, so find out the small sign code inside the tube, this will also be useful to find out which type You have. My hint, sell these parts, You will find a seller. If You are interested in the inner schematic /socket outlet, so use the types of the tubes to find this in google i.E.
>>
>>1198338
I'm definitely not selling, Seeing the online market in Serbia, I wouldn't get more than 20$

I'll try to make something out of them, if anything I'll make some cool decorations or just showcase them to friends
>>
arent old tubes just garbage?
especially the tv ones
>>
>>1198377
Make steampunk shit and sell it to autists
>>
>>1198384
do this
autists love steamshit
>>
>>1198384
>>1198526
A few days ago a was googling to see which tubes they use when building amps and I stumbled upon a tutorial that literally said

>Buy a cheap steampunk amp on Aliexpress
>Cut two or three holes
>remove the plastic housing from the tubes
>put a pair of LEDs inside
>hotglue

Some people are retarded
>>
>>1198694
Seriously, look at this shit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnuW_MoHR28
>>
>>1197844
learn
>>
>>1198696
He could have made an amp with a tube buffer.
>>
>>1198696
Top Kek!!
Thanks for sharing.
>>
>>1198696
>not thermionic
>lm386 aka babbys first opamp
>leds

into the trash it goes
>>
>>1197818
Do not touch them with your bare fingers.

Contact a local radio amateur group and tell them you have new old stock (old but unused goods). They might give you a good offer.
>>
>>1199811
>radio amateurs
>making good offers
Lol. Besides, none of the mentioned tubes are particularly useful for their stuff. Not that OP can't try, but still.
>>
>>1199811
>local radio amateur group
That will be hard since the only local radio amateur would be me
>>
File: C4OAj0lVcAA_1jU.jpg (263KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
C4OAj0lVcAA_1jU.jpg
263KB, 1200x1200px
This....
While these tubes may be fascinating to you, to people in the free world these are useless junk.
Unless you are a faggot audiophile and boast about the warm tones your tube amp brings out of your analog vinyl.
>>
>>1201049
>audiophile
I wonder if they can really hear anything above 18Khz
>useless junk.
the ones in the picture look cool at first but I wouldn't want any of them in my house, but I guess it would be a nice gift for a kid
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.