[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why this homopolar motor does not want to work?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: P_20170622_171302.jpg (1MB, 3328x1872px) Image search: [Google]
P_20170622_171302.jpg
1MB, 3328x1872px
Why this homopolar motor does not want to work?
>>
>>1197806
There is no way a Lorentz force can be applied on your magnet retard

Must be bait
>>
>>1197807
Sorry, but I don't know anything about it, what am I doing wrong?
>>
>>1197814
Excuse me for even suggesting the possibility of such an inconceivable fault on your part, but did you by any chance not even try looking it up? Once again, sorry if I sound like I'm implying that you're utterly incapable of independent thought or problem solving, but I assure you I am not. I am simply bringing up the highly improbable possibility of you skipping that one step due to your rightful confidence in your unparalleled knowledge of physics and certainly not because you're a mouth breather. Surely, a problem such as this - a problem that not even your special mind could tackle can only be solved in the most prestigious of scholarly circles. And I am truly humbled that you've graced us with your light and permitted us to follow you in your endeavor to untangle this incomprehensible enigma of science.
>>
>>1197814
literally everything is wrong with this. Throw it away and watch a youtube video on magnetism and how electromagnets work.
>>
>>1197847
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH7DFPIayNg
>>
It's so funny when self-styled experts are proudly parroting their half-digested text book wisdom and at the same time are unable to recognize that this is _not_ a homopolar motor but a totally conventional one with a cleverly hidden commutator. Shame on you, tons of egg on your face. Your place is /sci/, the waterhole for empty children in search of a new religion.
>>
>>1197895
I see the "commutator". I also see that it does not work as one unless it was purposely obfuscated.
>>
Your loop needs to be made out of insulated wire so the pixies can dance around the magic fairy circle and chooch off the magnet when they pass by.

Right now its just a short across the battery. They are just very slightly warming up the wire and draining your battery.
>>
>>1197895
This one might be made with a commutator... It is hard to tell with the double wires on each side. But a homopolar motor definitely can be designed this way (as shown in the video >>1197848).

I suspect the problem op is experiencing is related to the how he wound the coil, number of windings, sizing of the magnet relative to the coil.
>>
>>1197895
>>1198417
wait what communicator is their?
>>
>>1198468
Are you serious? Just look at the fucking wire
>>1198453
This guy got it, except he drank too much and now he's imitating AvE.
>>
>>1197806
Is that just bare uninsulated copper wire? The coil needs to be made with magnet wire. It looks like bare wire but there's a very thin enamel coating. Without that you don't really have an electromagnet coil; just a fat piece of wire.
>>
File: homopolar_motor.jpg (14KB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
homopolar_motor.jpg
14KB, 250x188px
>>1198468
In a homopolar (or unipolar) motor the axis of rotation is parallel to the magnetic field which never changes polarity and no commutation is required.

A commutator is a segmented slip ring, a rotary switch mechanically connected to the rotor. This is necessary because (in contrast to the unipolar motor) the magnetic field generated by the coil of the rotor changes its orientation and thereby its polarity. If the current is never interrupted it would swing back and forth like the needle of a compass and finally settle in a position where it attracts the external permanent magnet.

How do you interrupt the current when the rotor loop has the 'wrong' orientation? You scrape off only a segment of the enamel (insulating coating) at the ends of the magnet wire loop that contact the battery such that current only flows for about half of a revolution. This forms the necessary commutator.

Neither OP's battery powered heater nor the functioning version shown in the video are homopolar motors.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.