[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/diy/ router

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

File: Router.jpg (39KB, 660x450px) Image search: [Google]
Router.jpg
39KB, 660x450px
>It has to be small
>It has to be silent
>It has to have 3 or more Gbit ports and wi-fi
I was planning to use rpi but its no good networking-wise
>>
>>1197060

http://espressobin.net + any wifi mini-PCIe card

But seriously if you want all that in one package just buy a cheap router.
>>
Form factor
Performance
Cost

Pick any two.

Netgate appliances running pfsense will get you there but for about 800 usd.
>>
Seriously consider seperating out wireless access points as a seperate piece of hardware you deploy where youll get best coverage or need. Look into the unifi ap's for a decent cheap alternative to the enterprise grade cisco's
>>
The best option is to stop being a boring wanker trying to be a special snowflake about everything and get a regular router/switch/firewall/wireless box and install a different firmware on it. You'll spend at least as much on jigglybutt interfaces for something else, and quite a bit more powering it.

The lowest power consumption desktop I've metered, a Pentium 3 box consuming 25 watts, would cost about $20/year to power 24/7. Figure a router is good for half a decade, and that's $100 thrown away even if the hardware cost you nothing. Any desktop PC you have today will likely be at least twice as power hungry.

pfSense is good for running in a VM on a server you already have on for other purposes.
>>
>>1197060
What functionality do you want that purpose-built routers lack?
>>
ok separating wifi is a good idea but then I need at least 4 ports
>>1197072
I want to use my own linux based firmware
>>
>>1197075
You can do that to an extent on many routers. What functionality do you hope to gain?
>>
dnscrypt, torrent client, some tiny network programs written in C
>>
Buffalo's work well for this.
>>
Something to consider:
https://wikileaks.org/vault7/#Cherry%20Blossom
>>
>>1197184
This is why I never run stock firmware.
>>
>>1197184
welp I don't mind them spying on me but changing my firmware is breach of contract
>>
>>1197060
The only reason you would need something like this is if you had some incredibly specific use for that hardware. And if you were doing things with computer equipment at that level, you would most likely know that this is the wrong place to be looking. I think you'd be better off buying an off-the-shelf solution and consulting an IT forum or some network professionals.
>>
>>1197060
Look at Mikrotik products. They have good price/performance ratio and have support for running OpenWRT on their devices.
+ their RouterBOARDS come just as boards, without an enclosure, so you can make one in DIY-style.
>>
>>1197259
>Mikrotik
Also my recommendation.
>>
>>1197060
>router
do you even know what you mean?

>It has to be small
define small. wrt54g small? to me 1u is small.

>It has to be silent
embrace fans, keeps things cool, keeps things running. fans are friends.

>It has to have 3 or more Gbit ports
do you want 3 Gbit ports as in an internal bonded switch or actually 3 router ports for firewall segmented networks?

>and wifi
now you are trolling! why would you want wifi which spec has gone through how many fucking revisions in the past decade? included on hardware that let's be realistic is pretty much set.

>I was planning to use rpi but its no good networking-wise
yeah no fucking shit do you have a separate modem anyway?

if you want to go hardcore just buy an old firewall from ebay and put pfsense on it.
>>
>>1197367
Sounds like an underpaid but overworked It guy. I love how you compare 1u and don't know what a wrt54g is, considering their about as old as the gbic interfaces and are the size of aironet 1200 access points.

Most guys don't know routers are not switches or APs. And most people don't want to tolerate fans in the house. Is your office in your data center?

The poor fuck has no clue of any of this and ur suggesting pfsense to a total fuckin noob who probably doesn't know what a console cable is.

I love you anon, never change.
>>
If you need more ports, just get a gigabit switch the size of a deck of cards and you'll have as many as you need no matter how many are on your router.

But yeah, if you need to be a special snowflake, just get a Mikrotik. They're pretty nice for what they are and all your hacker friends will think you're leet because they've heard of them before.
>>
Not a good idea nor really feasible to match the power and convenience of any decent router. I also can't understand why you'd use Linux when drivers and firmware updates could be a major issue and destroy your build with a simple update.
>>
>>1197075
No you need as many ports as you plan to have firewall zones (or less if you trunk multiple vlans over one port) and a proper good networo switch. 48 port gig poe switches can be picked up for $200-300 on the used market. Look into the Extreme Summit series like the x450e-48p. Let your router/firewall handle just that and let dedicated hardware handle packet switching.
>>
>>1197555
>>1197568
so I only need 2-3 ports wan + Gbit switch + AP?
>>1197556
>destroy your build with a simple update
I only plan to update when it is absolutely necessary but yes it is a possibility
>>
>>1197606
>so I only need 2-3 ports wan + Gbit switch + AP?

More or less. You'll have a router that does its job well and located ideally, with an AP that does it's job well and located ideally, with switch(es) that make your LAN as big or small as you want. You'll have maximum flexibility, but now instead of:

>It has to be small

... you'll have 3 devices that are potentially small.
>>
>>1197373
Wrt54g is pretty much if not exactly what op posted it's the same size and shape at least. Nobody doesn't know what it is its fucking ubiquitous.
I run an old firebox in a cabinet in a cupboard and another in the attic. Both have fans, can't hear either from anywhere normal.
Pfsense isn't exactly fucking Cisco cli it's pretty much sets up itself. Simpler than most of the aids ui's consumer kit gives you.
I was going to suggests openwrt on ubiquiti pro ap with radius&vlan but I won't bother if that's your attitude.
>>
>>1197060
i have that exact router, very good and simple
>>
>>1197617
lol he was not OP...

>define small. wrt54g small? to me 1u is small.
I don't have a rack or space for 1u and I posted wrt54g, so make a guess...

for others see >>1197606
>>
TP link Archer c7
>>
File: Futro-S550.jpg (15KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Futro-S550.jpg
15KB, 300x300px
>>1197060
I bought a used x86 thin client with GbE and internal PCI-E and PCI slots
silent and miniITX sized
added dual GbE Intel NIC and a 802.11n PCI card
runs pfsense like a charm and total cost was like €50

pic related
>>
>>1197676
depends on what space you have available.
i have seen plenty of consumer 'routers' in cupboards or holes or stuffed away that overheat and crash because there wasn't enough room for convection current cooling. there are plenty of places i could fit a rack unit i couldn't fit one of those thinks. use your imagination.
>>
i'm running one of those asrock mITX boards with on board 8 core intel avoton, 32G ECC RAM, dual gigabit nics and just switch up the LAN
pfsense in a bhyve and it works great as a home gateway thingy, plus it's a sweet nas and virt box all in one
>>
>>1197071
>not using a thin client instead of a full on desktop
>consumer-grade routers don't use electricity
>>
>>1197556
>bad linux driver meme
>everything broken by a package upgrade
arch babby detected
>>
>>1197606
>I only plan to update when it is absolutely necessary
Don't be silly anon, update regularly. Have an easy method of rolling back if there's a problem
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.