[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Painting over wallpaper

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

I live in a brick building and there's a room with wallpaper I want to paint over with latex.
The internet sez I should:
>clean wallpaper
>cover with primer
>spackle wallpaper seams
>rub everything with sandpaper
>clean off sandpaper residue
>paint
...while my parents are saying that all I have to do is clean it, paint it and that the internet's advice is needlessly complex.
Will I be fine if I just clean and paint it? The wallpaper is pretty well-preserved except for certain edges, no danger of it completely falling off or whatever.
>>
>>1196618
Remove the wallpaper before you paint.
>>
>>1196620
But then I'd have to hire someone to spackle the entire room, I was hoping I could avoid by quickly painting over the wallpaper
>>
>>1196622
>hire
You can do that by yourself.
The main question here is whether you want nice-looking results or something crappy.
>>
>>1196625
Yeah, I might decide to go with the quality solution and remove them.
>>
>>1196622
>I was hoping I could avoid by quickly painting over the wallpaper

You absolutely can, but it will look like garbage. Do you want it to look like garbage? Are you a garbage person?
>>
You may also need to render the wall / smooth it out once the wallpaper is removed. Paint will show lumps and bumps more than wallpaper.
>>
>>1196618
can you do these with a wheelchair?
>>
>>1196618
Solution is simple, try both advice on a small area and check the results yourself
But if it was me I wouldn't prime then sand. Sounds kind of retarded, surely the other way around? Then again I can barely tell which end of a paint brush to hold so don't listen to my advice
>>
Just remove the wallpaper and spackle it yourself, the extra effort is worth it in the long run and any future home owners will appreciate it. Old wallpaper with paint over it is a pain in the ass to get off.
>>
>>1196680
Those instructions are probably to make sure the spackling will stick, in case the wallpaper is glossy.

>>1196618
It all depends on the wallpaper OP. If it's put on well, has a flat finish (not gloss), and the seams are done right/well, then you may be able to simply prime and paint it. If it's shit then follow the internet's advice, it will work. It's probably somewhere in the middle, so use your brain and good luck.
>>
Every time you you paint your walls, you lose living space :(
>>
Thanks everyone, removing the wallpaper turned out to be much easier than expected and the plaster underneath is smooth enough to only need some fine spackling.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.