[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DIY scuba regulator

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: home-made-scuba-gear-early days.jpg (153KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
home-made-scuba-gear-early days.jpg
153KB, 1280x720px
Hi guys,

Lately I've been tinkering around with homemade scuba gear. Making the tank and some sort of push-operated airflow Regulator is pretty easy. But I'd like to build one that is, just like a commercial regulator, activated by breathing in.
Does anyone have an idea on how to do that in maybe an elegant way?
I've found this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yktilms-Tck
it's in russian and the guy seems to be building some kind of breathing-activated regulator. I don't know what the round valve thing he's using is though, any pointers would be much appreciated and if someone could tell me if that Thing works for him in the end it would be nice, too.
Thanks in advance and looking Forward to some discussion about the subject.

P.S.: I know that this is very dangerous and rest assured I would not be using it to do any actual diving. I'm just facinated by the concept of maybe doing that myself. I'm a certified diver and thus I'm aware of the dangers of homemade gear in any significant dephts. Thank you so much for your consideration and I'd be happy to hear about your safety concerns aswell, of course.
>>
I'm not normally one to advocate buying shit, but in this situation just buy it mate. It's your fucking life on the line.
>>
Well, even on the surface, if your regulator valve fail you get your lungs literally btfo by high pressure gas from the tank.
>>
In the early 60's people used old fire extinguisher bottles for tanks
>>
Like a demand flow regulator?
>>
>>1196593
Also known as a demand valve.
Those are the words you need to look for.
>>
Never trust a diy regulator
That's how you die senpai
>>
Hopefully the guy with the DIY rebreather can help you out. I don't know if he's still here.
>>
>>1196534
>I'm a certified diver
If you were, you would know how regulators work.

>I would not be using it to do any actual diving
What's the point in building it then.
Just read a book, like the US Navy Diving Manual.
>>
>>1196534
it looks like most designs use a diaphragm and spring valve to compare the pressure inside the regulator and the ambient pressure. when you breathe in the pressure inside the reg drops and the ambient pressure pushes the diaphragm in and cracks the valve open.

the purge button just manually pushes the diaphragm from outside instead of relying on reduced internal pressure and cracks the valve to flood the reg with air.

the round valve that russian guy uses is probably a venturi lever.

if you want to see one in more detail then try going to a dive shop that does repairs. they usually have a reg or three in the back that they popped open to check seals and whatnot
>>
>>1196537
/thread

Just buy good quality shit. I love some DIY but also enjoy buying things worth the money.
>>
People die during dives primary because they fuck up. Secondary because of sudden illness. Gear usually doesn't fail.
A self made demand valve is something that would add an extra level of failure in a dive. Wouldn't do.

I work as a diver and I diy a lot of my gear but not the breathing part. Or the suit or mask part. But tools and other gear.
>>
>>1196534
The round think is gas stove/bbc regulator, he even says it in the beginning.
He is just modifying it to work on negative pressure demand, hence the rubber. Personally I would use small spring instead, because if that rubber fails, the valve will open and your lungs blow up.
>>
>>1196534

Are you the guy that was going to make a re-breather? How did that go?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.