[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Burning down the house

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

Dear experts,

I am building a laser cutter for fabric (linen, cotton, ...) based on a chinese 5.5 W laser module. I want to make a safety enclosure with a transparent lid around it. In the description of the module I read "co2 laser 450 nm". I thought that CO2 lasers have a wavelength of 10 um? What now? I don't have the laser yet, but I would prefer to know what kind of goggles I should wear before plugging it in.
Has anyone of you experience with these modules? Will a polycarbonate window (which should be good at absorning IR) do it?
>>
Maybe you should stick to kitchen renovation, car repair and shit posting about makita. This shit is beyond my level of brain cells.
>>
I'm just hoping this isn't some bait and you're not just making everyone loose his time.
Yes , co2 lasers have a 9-11 um wavelength.
At those wavelengths , anything will protect your eyes. Literally everything but very specific material block lwir so unless you find someone making prescription glasses out of germanium , just putting on your typical 1 dollar googles will work.
Now, there's 100% chance you're not getting a co2 laser and it's just going to be your typical diode blue laser.
Which means several things :
1. You're an idiot for thinking co2 lasers come in that size factor anyway.
2. It'll work for fabric so that's good
3. You want some specific goggles that protect for that wavelengh because 450 is just going to bounce of any reflective surface you throw at it.
something like https://www.amazon.com/400-450nm-Protective-Googles-Eyewear-Protection/dp/B071NLMW4S

Whereas exposure to lwir would just burn out your cornea and *could* be dealt with at the hospital, 450nm will fuck your retina for life if you mess up.
So, NO.
Polycarbonate windows will not protect you from blindness.
>>
>>1196526
in the same place where you buy the laser they sell also glasses to protect your eyes, also if you want to make an enclosure use white acrylic walls and for the lid use green or orange, dont use polycarbonate, if something goes wrong it will expel toxic fumes, acrylic instead is safe
>>
>>1196529
Isn't this the place for people who have built rockets and napalm in their childhood?
>>
>>1196544
Lol no, try treehouses and crossbows. Chemicals is scary.
>>
>>1196540
Now this is helpfull. Thank you!
Actually I have ordered goggles from the same seller which should be compatible, but my trust is limited.
>>
>>1196541
Thanks!
>>
>>1196526
Dont
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.