[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /diy/, I'm 19 and want to learn practical/workshop/whatever

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (115KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
115KB, 640x1136px
Sup /diy/,
I'm 19 and want to learn practical/workshop/whatever skills, but don't know where to start.

Any easy/fun projects you guys would recommend to build skills? No one ever taught me how to into diy, but I'm not autistic and I have basic tools at my disposal.

>inb4 suicide methods

pic unrelated
>>
File: PjUdCBy.jpg (22KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
PjUdCBy.jpg
22KB, 480x480px
>>1196404
depends what kind of /diy/ you wanna do

>woodworking
make a jewelry box for your mum or gf, or a coffee table for your future apartment/housing/whatever. both are hard to really fuck up and help you get used to the basics of working with tree carcass

>metalworking
if you find some copper or tin sheet then make one of those bent metal roses, youll learn how to layout designs and cut/punch metal, plus a bit of brazing/soldering

>electronics
led circuits are cheap and ez, dick around with them while you learn p=iv and v=ir and all that shit. after that you can venture into voltage regulators and op amps and make your own relatively simple usb chargers or pocket amplifiers or whatever

this is all the shit i did in high school when the diy bug bit me. just remember you will absolutely find ways to fuck up while youre learning, dont let it discourage you

if youre interested in specific disciplines then i can drop more project ideas
>>
Go get a circular saw (must be corded and preferably makita or skil) and make some saw horses.
http://youtu.be/DtizUSUgUG4
After that make a workbench, then some tool holders. Fix shit around your house that needs fixing, pick up tools as you go. By the time you're 21 youll be a diy master.
>>
>>1196404

go to ebay
search for Home Improvement 1-2-3
buy the book that is $4
read it
>>
>>1196404
Old fuck here. I successfully taught my kids tons about tech and skills by taking stuff apart like old printers. Their goal was to reduce the machine to its smallest components. If you don't know how things are put together, how you going to make anything? Cheap easy method to learn diy skills.
>>
>>1197442
no no no
the learning comes when you have to put it back together
>>
>>1197523
Teardown teaches disassembly on something expendable which is useful even if you don't reassemble the item.

The student learns the tactile feel of fasteners, tabs, tapes and torques which is vital for more advanced work.
>>
>>1198981
The disassembly student also learns how to use tools for many purposes. I still do this just to learn how someone else(a competitor) solved problems.
>competitive intelligence
>>
>>1196489
Hey thanks for the video. Not OP but almost his same story and i was looking for a way to make saw horses aswell, so thanks again. However, i don't have a circular saw...

Do you think i could do the same with a jig saw instead of a circular saw?
Where do you think i could get some free wood? (Or how do you think i could make wood planks out of wood logs, with basic tools and a jig saw of course)

I do not even have a workbench so i guess i should make one aswell...
>>
>>1196502
This really is a good book OP
>>
>>1196489
What about Bosch or Stanley circular saws mate?
>>
>>1196404
>>inb4 suicide methods

That retarded banner was made by someone who doesnt actually browse this board
>>
>>1200511
Any moderately priced circular saw from a known brand will be adequate.
>>
>>1200546
how do you know?
>>
>>1199436
>Do you think i could do the same with a jig saw instead of a circular saw?

It COULD be done, but its going to be a whole lot harder. Like a LOT harder.
Also just buy 2x4s at the hardware store. An 8 foot one costs like $2.50. Find the odd sized cutoff clearance wood if you are looking for a bargain.
>>
>>1200548
Because ive been here since the beginning of the board. I saw the "meta" banners which encompassed the "culture" of the board. And it was clear the ones which did not reflect the board at all. That was one of them.
>>
>>1196404
i have a degree in nuclear engineering, and just today I was thinking I wish I was 18/19 again so I could learn to be a blacksmith instead.

go to a trade school, there are trade schools for TONS of things that youre not even aware are things
>>
>>1196484
Would it be unreasonable to make av simple Murphy bed as my first project? It'll be a huge challenge for a noob like me but it's the reason I've been getting interested in DIY in the first place (however that's also why I don't want to fuck it up lol)
>>
>>1201289
Why not learn now?
Btw how's the work as a nuclear engineer?
How much hours per day do you have to work aswell? Sorry i am just curious
>>
>>1201342
not unreasonable, but it might be challenging for a total beginner. im sure there are tons of premade plans online that you can copy. just make sure you pay attention when copying. identify the key design elements like hinges and supports, visualize how each piece fits together and contributes to the whole design. doing this will give you a better idea of which parts will be easier to build/assemble and which parts you shouldn't give up on even tho they might be tough.

just dont get discouraged if you finish and it looks like total shit and only folds halfway. if youre unhappy with something then just tear it apart and start again. youll have to pay for more materials, sure, but youre gaining experience in what works and what doesnt. youll get there eventually if you keep trying
>>
>>1196489
Why must it be corded?
>>
File: tmp_21985-DSC_04771942022937.jpg (2MB, 3920x2204px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_21985-DSC_04771942022937.jpg
2MB, 3920x2204px
Drill, saw and measuring tape and you can make basically anything out of wood.

Pic related, made this bench with 2 x 4s I found behind a bakery
>>
>>1201679
>I made this bench out of garbage
You don't say.
>>
>>1201682
Oh, fuck off, it's not bad.
>>
>>1201679
>>1201682
>>1203245
you guys made my day, i started giggling like a girl reading these comments.
It's true you can start working with simple wood projects with just very basic tool, but the you need to see extra effort to make good quality. That chair is not bad but not very good either. Would pay max 5$ for it.
>>
File: 7Bgs6uW.png (200KB, 407x652px) Image search: [Google]
7Bgs6uW.png
200KB, 407x652px
>>1201289
>i have a degree in nuclear engineering
>I wish I was 18/19 again so I could learn to be a blacksmith instead
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.