[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tiny Housing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 12

File: 1495753884917-ck.jpg (449KB, 1280x1178px) Image search: [Google]
1495753884917-ck.jpg
449KB, 1280x1178px
Let's say I owned 5 acres of land in Georgia.
Let's say I wanted to construct, or partially construct, a livable space - large enough to fit a bed, small kitchen area, small washroom space and a place to fit a computer. Would have plumbing and power. AC could be handled myself.
Let's say I didn't care for lots of bells and whistles.
Since it classifies as a home, how small a "house" could I make myself (or assisted with contractors) either from scratch or using a prebuilt structure like a large shed without building codes fucking my asshole?
I want a livable space that's cheaper than an apartment. As it stands my expendable money a month is $450, and that's before food costs; there are no apartments worth dying in below $550.
What are my options?
>>
cuckshed
>>
>>1195396
>without building codes fucking my asshole
depends on where you live.
It's different by state, county, and even city sometimes.
>>
>>1195422
>It's different by state, county, and even city sometimes.
This. Typically, if you build it on a trailer, you can classify it as a temporary structure, and ignore a lot of building code bullshit. That's what most people do when they build these tiny house cucksheds.
>>
Some states have adopted the new international building code which has 23 pages of tiny house regulations. I suggest you look
>>
>>1195426
>Typically, if you build it on a trailer, you can classify it as a temporary structure

That's true, in many places.

Of course, if you are contemplating building a one-off on a trailer, you're probably financially and practically better off buying a small travel trailer. (Used, if you're on too much of a budget squeeze.)
>>
File: Winne.jpg (46KB, 500x277px) Image search: [Google]
Winne.jpg
46KB, 500x277px
Dude, just save up for a trailer. Used Winnebago's are affordable, come with a shitter, shower, power, heat, kitchen, everything

It'll be cheaper than building a shack (unless it's like groundskeeper Willie's shack from the simpsons)

The only reason I haven't done it myself is I have no land to park one
>>
File: shippingcontainer.jpg (145KB, 987x800px) Image search: [Google]
shippingcontainer.jpg
145KB, 987x800px
>>
>>1195396
Go look at Kirsten Dirksen's videos on YouTube for some ideas. Go look at Ana White's videos to see how a wizard can fit everything into a small space.
>>
File: IMG_2949.jpg (51KB, 512x287px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2949.jpg
51KB, 512x287px
Don't bother with all this hipster shit, the art of small living spaces has already been perfected.
>>
Build an open-ended metal building, like a large garage or vehicle storage shed. Park a craigslist RV there, in the shade. Run all your electrical, water and sewerage into a small "closet" frame in in one corner of the 'shed', then across to the RV connections. Think ahead and make sure you can insulate and heat the 'utility closet' in winter, along with the connections.

Park your RV, hook it up, maybe lift it on it's included jacks or others for more stability and less tire problems. Set up awnings or shades as needed. Keeping the RV out of the sun and rain will increase it's lifespan and decrease the strain on air handling. You could also probably offshore the AC functions to a 'mini-split' system based at the utility closet and connected with the rest of the utility umbilical to the indoors end.

The Pros: probably fast and easy. Upfront costs will vary
Cons: limited space, depends on what you get and are comfortable with.
>>
>>1195401
Just another 30 year old autist thinking he will move away from mommy and support himself on his disability check.
>>
>>1195557
Yeah man ! Just buy something made with the flimsiest possible material. It'll be to hot in the summer, to cold in the winter, will leak when it rains. And if a strong wind rolls it over, at least you didn't die a hipster.
>>
>>1195396
People usually build tiny houses on trailers because it skirts building codes by not being a permanent inplace structure.
>>
>>1195693
>ive never been in a trailer before
>i think that a budget tinyhouse is going to suddenly be better!

He will spend more money and get less in the end.
>>
>>1195693
Its Georgia, stop fucking complaining. A trailer will be just fine, and cost way fucking less.
>>
>>1195693
Those things are made of metal, insulated, and you generally anchor them if you don't intend on using it as an RV. They also come with septic and fresh water tanks, as well as appropriate connection points so you can get municipal water and sewage access.

But I'm sure your pallet-based wooden shack is going to be better
>>
>>1195536
Yeah but those only really work good if you bury them.
>>
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/tro/6118827459.html
>>
There are no new alt housing methods worth bothering with in the Southeast.

Singlewide trailers such as bank repos can be had cheap, or you can buy a used office trailer (often for less).

Have power pole placed with an outdoor breaker panel and 220 and 110v outlets since you need a power pole anyway. Then you'll have power for your eventual trailer and for DIY outside the trailer. I did my workshop that way.

See your county about any permits because some have rules about not connecting power to a residence without septic, but may connect to a shop.

Learn the rules and have printed copies in your fucking hand, because "he said, she said" means nothing.

My disabled contractor bro beat the system by placing an outhouse on his rural property. He then had a slab poured and a common pole building shop erected on it. He had power to the shop. Afterwards he built his bathroom and kitchen and piped his waste to the outhouse which is dug deep enough he'll never fill it. The outhouse is far enough out you can't smell it.

If you get your plan right when you start, no one will know thus no one will care how you handle the details.

Ignore containertards. They are all shiposters but me and I tell people to use them for shops as I do. Ignore tinyhouse fagfags. Tiny houses are niche market codebeater artfag bullshit and if you have five acres why live in a matchbox for more money than a singlewide or office trailer? You can use your space to build whatever later.
>>
Is your 5 acres of land very heavily wooded and can it be seen from the road or by neighboring homes?
If so, Just build whatever on it then. Build a hardwood frame, get some bricks from the store, and mortar it together outside, use Tamped Adobe for the walls, it'll keep cool in summer and retain heat in winter. Get a cheap gas generator and rain barrels for water. Tamped earth floor.
If not, or if you really want to live ghetto, live on the property in a tent until you can afford to follow building codes. There's also some serviceable coroplast mini trailers you can make for under 100 bucks. You'll be roughing it, but it'll be serviceable while you save for a better dwelling.
>>
File: images (74).jpg (30KB, 321x458px) Image search: [Google]
images (74).jpg
30KB, 321x458px
>>1195396
Stop daydreaming OP.
>>
File: van-ricing.jpg (2MB, 1173x4609px) Image search: [Google]
van-ricing.jpg
2MB, 1173x4609px
5 acres is a pretty decent size.
Check this infographic, it may be useful to you, I haven't tried it myself though, I would recommend to get the cheapest shed you can find also, to make space for a washing machine and as general storage room for stuff that doesn't suffer from temperature or humidity changes, since the space in the van is limited.
>>
>>1197025
if you want more ideas based on this, just search "sprinter 2500 living" in google images to see what other people did with it.
>>
>>1195471
If you're willing to put in some work to restore one people give away these things with some basic issues on the Free section of Craigslist all the time. Some of them are totally trashed but some of them are also easily fixed if you're willing to try
>>
>>1195396
You really need to look up your local building codes. Anything /diy/ers from Slovenia or Texas tell you here is going to be wrong.

That said, look into south facing passive solar homes using rammed earth techniques. Off grid buildings, especially earthships, are fucking fascinating and I am jealous if you really have 5 acres to build a dream home / rifle range. They're a bit of an investment, like a real house, but way more bang for buck than a shitty frame house or tiny house. All else fails you should be able to pop a tent and camp on your own damn land without the gubmint giving you a hard time. Keep livin' the dream my man.
>>
tried and true method from the back-to-the-land hippies (don't knock it til you've tried it)

> get a yurt .yurts are the sweet spot between easy to set up/ take down/ relocate/ inhabit/ modify/ insulate etc. get one thats under min sq footage for your building code. look this up as it pertains to your area, i'm not doing it for you. the yurt qualifies as a temporary structure so you may not even have to have it under the min sqfootage. but also as a temporary structure you may not be "habitable" and you could be forced to dismantle it if an inspector comes. (again, check your code) luckily it's a yurt so it's made to be put up and taken down.

> use a coleman stove and battery powered lamps to start.

>this will give you a good base to start building structures on your land. you can build multiple under-code structures (below min. sqft and within enough distance apart)

b> solar generator
c> a rainwater catchment system like a barrel shed.
d> outhouse-- check if septic are allowed by code
e> dig a well if possible (can be up to $10,000)

http://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/building-regulations-zmaz76jaztak
>>
>>1197677
Not OP but another Georgian looking to be on a similar path. I looked into yurts and for a while planned on getting one but they appear to do best in cooler climates. It's easier to raise the temperature in one than it is to keep it cool. Even up in the mountains where I'm planning on living the summers are too hot.

For anyone in Georgia who wants to try out a yurt, several state parks have them. Also the Cedar House Lodge in the hills above Dahlonega has some they rent out.

My current plans are to buy land, preferably something with an old trailer or falling apart cabin that already has the utility connections in place. Then build a small A-frame to live in. I don't want a mortgage so I'll build a large more traditional structure as money becomes available, turning the A-frame into a guesthouse or home office.
>>
For those talking about using a house on a trailer as a way to get around building codes, keep in mind that some jurisdictions have a time limit on how long a "temporary" structure can be in place. This limit is commonly six months per calendar year but varies from place to place and not everywhere imposes a limit. Just be sure to know the rules where you plan to live and how they're enforced (if at all).
>>
>my budget is $450 a month

Seems like the easiest solution is to find a home and get a mortgage on it. Your payment on a 60k home with a mortgage would only be $300, including insurance and taxes. Find an older neighborhood where values aren't plummeting (read: not a nigger neighborhood or soon-to-be nigger neighborhood). Sell your 5 acres if you want to buy more house.

Alternatively, you can talk to a GC and see how much house you can have built on your land for 50-60k, then get a mortgage on the house and land once construction is finished.
>>
File: House.jpg (201KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
House.jpg
201KB, 1024x683px
https://homenation.com/home/starline-yale/
>>
>>1195471
Aren't those things built like shit?
>>
>>1197025
Ah yes just a $40000 investment.
>>
>>1195396
Why don't you get a real job or work full time? That's way below poverty levels. My stepfather in Mexico makes more.
>>
File: DIY_Sprinter_camper_bed_web.jpg (118KB, 640x424px) Image search: [Google]
DIY_Sprinter_camper_bed_web.jpg
118KB, 640x424px
>>1198220
>$40000
nigga please. You can build a perfectly comfortable camper van for 5-6K. it shouldn't even cost more than 10K unless you want to start with a newer/more expensive van, and waste more money on extra shit to furnish it.
>>
People fucking buy land with and without trailers all the time. Just do what's proven. Getting the land first is a good plan. After that you can choose whatever works for your budget. If G.I.s can live in a tent for a year at a time (been there, done that) anything better is gravy. It's amazing what you can do by not being a pussy.

That said, if you are poor and not defective or have a criminal record you might as well enlist and improve your life then build later. Guard and Reserves are a thing if you want to stay in Georgia.
>>
>>1198264
??? literally just the batteries and solar panels in that infographic were $30,000.
>>
>>1198287
>literally
try literally $3,550. But it's an easy mistake. I know it can be a bit confusing adding 2 entirely different prices listed directly under the items you mentioned.

Also, you can easily get by with like 1/4 of the batteries and solar panels if you cut back on extraneous appliances like a fridge or large TV screens and shit.
>>
File: Airstream.jpg (222KB, 1150x767px) Image search: [Google]
Airstream.jpg
222KB, 1150x767px
>>1198182
I'd say they are medium quality.

There are definitely nicer trailers you can buy - like Airstream (pic related), but they cost a lot more. Winnebago makes a solid trailer for it's price point.

At the end of the day, you get what you pay for
>>
>>1195396
They won't bother you if they don't know it's there. Build underground. You can either make a concrete dome house or buy a used shipping container for $2k or so and bury it. You can also use the method European settlers would use in early North American colonies, digging into the side of a hill and using stacked sod to construct a soddie; after the first winter they'd turn their soddie into a root cellar and build a cabin in top of it.
>>
File: metal-carport.jpg (99KB, 822x626px) Image search: [Google]
metal-carport.jpg
99KB, 822x626px
>>1195396

I live way up in N. Ga and generally speaking unless you live within city limits you can do almost whatever your heart desires as far as codes go, but it depends on county and city.

As far as what most people could reasonably build by themselves I would say 20' x 20' stick frame is about the limit. Being able to pour and finish a slab, tilt walls up, and set trusses single handily ends at 20' x 20' for most people. Some could do larger solo, but not most.

As far as prebuilt structures you could have a pole building erected. Or if you're destitute, a four sided metal carport/garage (see pic related) and finish the inside out normally. Metal carports are cheap per sq/ft and the price usually includes install. Seen a few done this way and it's actually not as bad as it may sound.

Some people up here just park a travel trailer under a carport and hook it to water/electric/sewer and call it a home. that would be the easiest but maybe not the most cost effective.

Don't forget to price in utilities and infrastructure.
>>
If you are really fucking cheap/poor, you can probably find a broken down school buss for a couple hundred bucks, and get it towed to your property for another couple hundred. Then remodel the interior so it'd be kinda like a trailer home.
>>
>>1198446

Was actually thinking about this. Prefabricated metal structures are really fucking cheap, very solid (typically galvanized steel), don't succumb to termites or mold, and are a blank canvas for what you want to make. I have it all thought out. I live in NW Georgia and you can find some decent bits of land around here, but thought about moving out west since I enjoy being /out/.

But I do have a few concerns.

>power
All I need to power is a computer, monitor, coffee machine, and a few other small appliances. But I don't know what I am going to use. I don't really know how expensive generators are to operate. Plus I want to install a few IP cameras so I can check in on the place while at work so no trailer trash or niggs steal my shit. My biggest concern is refrigeration. I don't want to drive all the way to Kroger to make a single meal of chicken.

>shitter
Literally have no idea how human composting works and I am not paying a fortune to install a septic tank and plumbing

>internet
How expensive would it be to get a decent connection to a place that is sort of off the grid away from powerlines?

It's alway been my dream to have my own large slice of property away from people, the government, and HOAs. I just want some nice affordable living where I can do whatever the fuck I want.
>>
>>1200442
>Literally have no idea how human composting works and I am not paying a fortune to install a septic tank and plumbing

My bro built an outhouse on his property. He first had a power pole placed with service panel and 240 and 120v outdoor outlets so he'd have power to work with. The pole got inspected and only that. He said the pole was for a shop, NOT a residence.

Then he put up his pole building about thirty feet away. He ran PVC from his toilet to the outhouse pit. It's invisible and in the wildly unlikely even he managed to shit enough to fill the pit over many years he could dig another hole and dump the earth into the old pit. An outhouse can last many decades and if power is out you can just shit there if needed. If you live in a vehicle with plumbing you can dump the blackwater tank into the outhouse pit.

If your water table is high enough you can drive a well yourself and connect to a hand pump (which work surprisingly well if you're not familiar) until you install an electric pump.

You can find a shitload of info on the above by searching. Power is optional of course. Millions of people still live without it but the smart move would be to have a "mobile home pole" placed as soon as you can. If you want to run a fridge you really should have power run to the site.

You can live without power for a while by not buying food requiring cold storage. If you're gonna live poor for a while to save money, suck it up. I would. Canned food and dry food in bulk can be cheap with some searching. If you don't want to eat it, you aren't hungry.

You can cook using a simple propane grill. None of the fancy features on expensive grills are necessary and it doesn't need to be pretty. You don't need to heat coffee if you buy caffeine pills in bulk. (I get mine via Amazon. I want caffeine, not ritual.)

Rednecks have solved every problem you will have in many different ways. Ask the old guys who grew up on farms.
>>
>>1198900
>How expensive would it be to get a decent connection to a place that is sort of off the grid away from powerlines?

HAHAHAHAHA. Sacrifices must be made. Make sure your phone has decent performance then use a data plan. You need to study the SPECIFIC area you consider. Forget heavy bandwidth applications. You can use a notebook and leech off wifi for large files when not at home.
>>
File: percolator.png (873KB, 1259x594px) Image search: [Google]
percolator.png
873KB, 1259x594px
>>1200442
>coffee machine,

It's called a percolator.

Will make delicious fresh coffee with a campfire, coleman stove, kitchen range, or any source of heat able to boil water.

Available in enamel, stainless steel, glass and aluminum.
Don't get aluminum. You can taste it.
>>
>>1200564
>>1200446
>>1200444

I appreciate the replies, this is quite helpful.
>>
My buddy got injured, lost his job, and had his house foreclosed on.

He bought a used older RV that didn't run but was in otherwise good shape inside for 1k, and one of those carport canopy with the corrugated metal roof for like $250. Got his buddy who is a mechanic to look at the engine and it was pretty fucked, basically needed to be swapped, so he towed the thing for my buddy.

He parked the thing under the canopy to keep the sun off it to keep it cooler and to avoid any leaks. He paid an old guy he knew who lived just outside of town $100 a month to let him park it on his unattached property.

He had the option to run power to it but since it wasn't his property he just used a generator and barely ever had the power on. He got a new job that had essentially unlimited overtime and he worked 60-80 hour weeks so he was almost never home and when he was it was usually light out. He kept very few perishable items there since he only ate 1-2 meals at home a day he would usually just stop by the store and buy the day's food. Small jugs of milk for breakfast, small amounts of meat that he would cook right away. RV had a fridge but he didn't want to waste gas cooling it.

After all this be bought a new house in a few years before the foreclosure even dropped off his credit history. Just paid cash. He still owns the RV too, swapped out the engine and it runs fine now.
>>
>>1200923
From what I've seen, the biggest challenge is not the dwelling itself, but having some place of land to put it on where you won't get hassled about it.

RVs and trailers are plentiful and cheap. Land to put one on that allows someone to live in it is a different story.
>>
>>1195693
>at least you didn't die a hipster
AMEN
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.