[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A/C help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 3

File: Capture.png (31KB, 217x180px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
31KB, 217x180px
I have a Kenmore 580.75281700 air conditioner installed through a wall. The fan runs but I'm not getting any cooling.

On-line repair suggestions include cleaning the filter and evaporator coils, both have been done.

The next two suggestions are to replace the thermistor assembly or the capacitor (in that order). I can probably do the termistor assembly but the capacitor may be an issue since the unit is through the wall 10' above the floor.

Before I go further, I have also read that there are error codes the unit may throw off. Does anyone know whether these show automatically or do I have to do something to get them to show?

Any help is appreciated.
>>
>>1195349
the fans run can you hear the compressor kick in?
air con is actually pretty fucking simple in principle, its either 1) the compressor is fucked 2) there is no pressure because 2a) the coolant has escaped or 2b) there is pressure but there is a sensor that detects the pressure and that is fucked

i don't know shit about window units but in a car a/c 99/10 times the gas has escaped somehow or other. but take that with a pinch of salt because a window unit liek this isn't under anything like the same conditions of course. but thats me i'm biased to say the gas has escaped because its the simplest thing i think.
>>
>>1195349
if the suggestion is to replace the thermistor assembly i assume that is just what turns the compressor on to allow cooling to happen.
are you competent enough to bypass the thermistor assembly (short it out or open circuit i don't know don't ask me!) to trick it into turning on? that would tell you if that was the part.

i would test the capacitor with a multimeter if you had one? but careful it might be charged up even if its unplugged!!
>>
>>1195349
A fucking air conditioner's 100$, they're not worth fixing beyond what you've already done IMOO, OP.
>>
>>1195358
The suggestions are to remove the termistor and check continuity. I can do that, but the error codes are supposed to tell you if it is the thermistor that is bad. But yeah, I can trick it.

>>1195353
The compressor does not kick in at all. The compressor is down on the list of things to check. I think the difference between a car A/C and this one is that this one doesn't move whereas the car is hitting bumps, etc... which put s more strain on the system.
>>
>>1195364
27,500BTU through the wall model. Why don't you pick one up for me and install it for $100. I'll give you the money AND a small tip.
>>
>>1195365
yeah plus it fucking rusts to shit immediately and something to do with the way the compressor is driven means it leaks unless you run it to distribute sealant regularly around the pump. i guess a normal ac pump would be sealed like a fridge or something.

fucking crazy air con gas is like 1500x more damaging than c02 yet fucking every year guys pumping leaky cars with this gas into shitty acs that just leak it all out. fuck global warming man co2 blaming is just short sighted.
>>
>>1195374
true. i worked for a auto and home A/C company back in the 70's and we dumped that shit out into the air every day. but remember we didn't realize back then how bad it was. in fact everyone thought it was better than ammonia being used.
>>
Set the mode to Cool
Set the temp to the lowest number it will go to
Set the mode to Fan
Wait three minutes
Set the mode back to Cool and listen for the sound of the compressor starting
(the fan may slow slightly then return to normal speed while this is happening)
If the fan slows and the louder hum continues for a bit then it 'clicks' and the fan speeds up it's probably the capacitor.
The capacitor helps the compressor start if it doesn't start within a few seconds an overload device disconnects the power to the compressor for safety.
The overload operating makes the click and then the hum (compressor trying to start) stops because it's disconnected.
The overload is self resetting so if it hums > click+no hum > click+hum > click+no hum continuously when set to cool the thermostat is OK but the capacitor is likely bad.
If the compressor starts and there is no cool air within a few minutes, it's likely lost it's refrigerant charge.
(unlikely but possible)
If there is no evidence of the compressor trying to start it may be:
the thermostat or the overload protector
>>
>>1195381
Thanks. I'll go through that routine and see what happens.
>>
Check the foam for black mold while you're at it.
>>
>>1195364
Tiny window units are. Higher throughput wall units are closer to $500.
>>
>>1195609
Already did. It was pretty gross. Took all the plastic into the shower with me and scrubbed it with a toothbrush.
>>
>>1195381
So what I have so far.

Start A/C in cool mode set at 60 degrees. Fan starts and a second or two later the compressor kicks in and keeps running. Air temperature at exit remained at room temperature.

Switch to fan only but can't hear the compressor shut off. Back to cool and don't hear the compressor turn on (but never heard it shut off, too).

Shut A/C off for a minute and restart with only fan on. Switch to cool and compressor does not turn on. Back and forth between cool and fan and don't hear the compressor turn off/on.

I've removed the thermistor to test it but the batteries in my good multimeter is dead. I have a Harbor Freight free multimeter but don't trust it.

I have to stick staples into the thermistor connector to make connections since the holes are so small and the HF multimeter isn't giving me a reading with the thermistor at both room temperature and on ice.
>>
>>1195679
It's got time delays you twat, so when idiots like you turn the dial 20 times the compressor doesn't keep turning on and off.

If the compressor is buzzing but not cooling, you have no gas in it or the buzzing you're hearing is just the buzzing of a dead compressor. Either repair costs more than a new unit.

Protip: It's dead. I fix commercial food equipment for a living, including refrigerators.
>>
>>1195691
You can easily confirm this by touching both lines coming off the compressor. If one of them isn't hot WHILE THE AC IS RUNNING it's dead.
>>
>>1195691
Didn't realize it had a delay. Thanks.

>>1195692
Problem is that the unit is through the wall and I'd have to take it out to get access to the compressor and lines.

Got the multimeter working and there's virtually no difference in resistance (15 ohms vs 18 ohms) between the termistor sitting on ice and in my hand. Since it's a cheap fix (<$10) I think I'll replace it and see what happens.
>>
>>1195349
Have you checked the coolant gas level? Presumably no because you're asking. Most common fault.
>>
>>1195795
No, because I assume I'd have to pull the unit out of the wall. Also the first 4 recommended steps are
clean the filter
clean the coils
change the thermistor
change the capacitor
>>
>>1195849
The system has leaked away all refrigerants, it'll be cheaper to replace.
>>
>>1195374
if that gas is so fucking bad for the atmosphere then how is it created?

special laboratory conditions or does it occur naturally? Is it separated from air?

CO2 levels are constantly changing like they have for the past few billion years.
>>
>>1195849
dont just do things because a list says so. its a fucking basic piece of equipment. learn how it works and figure out whats not working.

you can start by taking it out of the fucking wall. its not that hard and you are just avoiding the inevitable. stop being a piece of shit
>>
>>1195794
>Didn't realize it had a delay. Thanks.
>>1195381
>Set the mode to Fan
>Wait three minutes
>Set the mode back to Cool
>>1195381
>Wait three minutes
>>1195795
>Have you checked the coolant gas level?
window/wall units are sealed and have no service ports
>>
>>1195349

>both have been done

By a human being or by the retards at Sears?
>>
File: il_570xN.782671530_5doa[1].jpg (97KB, 570x858px) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.782671530_5doa[1].jpg
97KB, 570x858px
>>1195886
The gas likely being discussed is one of the "Freons" that was common in air conditioning systems. The most used one back in that era is 'dichlorodifluoromethane'. Known as Freon-12. It does not occur naturally and can only be created by man. It is extremely damaging to the ozone layer and has been banned in the developed world in most applications for over 20 years. It is a pretty complex compound so researching a reliable source would be a better method of learning how it is made than me condensing it for posting here.
>>
>>1195349
>>
>>1195889
This. OP, your compressor is running, that ruled out that part your changing, because it tells the compressor to run. It runs when it should after a delay. You have no gas.
>>
>>1196070
Yeah, I thought of that as I lay in bed last night.

Would the compressor run without gas? Is there no pressure switch that would catch the no-gas situation?

>>1196003
I did.>>1195889
As I mentioned before, the unit is 10 feet off the ground. It's not that easy.

Thanks everyone for your help. I think the fact is the unit will cost more to fix than to replace.
>>
>>1196079
Probably only for overpressure, because that can cause worse problems. Underpressure just means the gas is missing or is low, and the unit may still cool on low gas, so the manufacturer saves money on a low pressure cutoff.

Regardless, you would have to take the unit out to replace that part. I'd suggest looking over the unit for copper tubing with a greenish tint from a leak. To have no gas after the unit was working well for a while means a sudden, big leak; compressor running causes line to vibrate and crack, for example.
>>
>>1196079
>Would the compressor run without gas?

There is gas, just atmosphere gas.
>>
>>1195903
>>Have you checked the coolant gas level?
>window/wall units are sealed and have no service ports

I find that hard to believe.
>>
>>1196226
Go check your fridge. Nobody installs test ports anymore, just a place to leak and added costs. Plus, most home appliances are cheaper to replace than to fix, so they're pointless. OPs a prime example
>>
>>1196226
>I find that hard to believe.

refrigerators, freezers, water coolers, dehumidifiers, window and portable air conditioners and similar devices are fully assembled and tested at the factory.
The units are charged via a copper tube from the factory equipment to the compressor.
After charging, the tube is crimped, cut, and hard-soldered closed.
Home air-conditioner condensers and evaporators are assembled and tested at the factory then filled with dry nitrogen to protect the internals.
(some manufacturers pre-charge with the correct refrigerant)
Once installed, the lines and evaporator are subjected to pressure testing then a vacuum to remove air and moisture is applied.
Service ports on the high and low side are necessary for these operations and for adding refrigerant and monitoring the pressures to assure a proper charge.

tldr: service ports are necessary for installation of full house air conditioners but unnecessary for window units.
>>
>>1196291
A fridge is not an air conditioner.

>>1196297
>Talking to anyone who understands problems of condensers in such a derogatory fashion

If there's no gas there's opportunity to modify the copper to allow a recharge.

Your school of thinking is by the book, throw away culture. Mine isn't.

Anyone with a fgas and brazing cert could diagnose and repair.
>>
>>1196512
>A fridge is not an air conditioner.

but it is
it conditions (cools) the air inside an insulated box
it has parts of the same function as an air conditioner - just on a smaller scale
>>
>>1196594
>but it is

>>1196291
>Go check your fridge. Nobody installs test ports

>>1196512
>A fridge is not an air conditioner.

The way they operate is the same given, the way they're used, packaged, maintained and sold is not.

Refrigerators are generally made to be cheap as the majority of residential customers are going to want one but they often have an excessive service cost against the cost of replacement. That said you can if you want spend £1000 or more on a fridge. Are you going to tell me that can't be serviced or repaired?

Same goes for an air conditioner. If you want it serviced you will be able to get it serviced. The cost is an irrelevant factor while making the point, if it's already fucked you can't fuck it no more. And as long as air conditioners cost a lot more than fridges there will be a means of servicing them.
>>
>>1196512
>If there's no gas there's opportunity to modify the copper to allow a recharge.

Good luck with the coil leak, and do you know how expensive R-22 are now?
>>
>>1196628

Are you thick or misrepresenting the scenario on purpose? If the condenser isn't working there's no gas. If there's no gas there's nothing to lose.

Do you know anything beyond the 6 months college you did once?
>>
>>1196628
R-22 isn't even used any more.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorodifluoromethane
>>
>>1196678
He's got an old AC, it uses R-22 most likely. You can't just change the type.
>>
>>1196679
MO-99 babe. Don't even have to change the oil.
>>
>>1196679
>You can't just change the type.

You can.
>>
>>1196689
You guys really like to suck OP dry eh? I guess you have to make your living somehow...

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?360942-ISCEON%AE-MO99%99-refrigerant-(-R-438a-)
>>
>>1196710
>What is legislation

In the Next 10 years R-22 won't exist. It doesn't exist beyond decades old out of service devices in the EU at all now.

You're implying OP needs air con and needs to get it recharged with a non CFC alternative. He doesn't but as long as he's going to wake up in a pile of sheets damp from his own sweat, he has the option to spend his money how he likes and people with the knowledge to oblige will be willing to take that money from him you communist faggot.
>>
>>1196756
It's cheaper to buy new than pay your guys to (((try))) to repair it.

The fucking coil is probably leaking, and yet all you are going to do is take his money and charge it so it works for 2 more months at terrible efficiency..
>>
>>1196759
>It's probably cheaper

And OP probably knows that yet here he is asking the question. You're really dumb in the sense that you presume everyone around you is oblivious to reality.

If OP gets a quote for a repair and looks to price a replacement the decision is his.
>>
>>1196512
Good luck finding the leak and repairing it when it's in the coils.

Just replace it OP. What kind of wall unit is it? Is it just like a window unit, but built through the wall? If so, they're easy to replace. Do you have a pic so I can better understand what you're dealing with?
>>
>>1195374
>blaming co2 at all
>>
>>1196816
>Good luck finding the leak and repairing it when it's in the coils.

Never seen a day in the field, have you.
>>
>>1196676
Except for all that moisture in the lines now. Are you literally retarded?
>Hurr Durr it has test ports
> Muh fridge a snowflake, not an ac!
>No reason not to refill a system that sat unsealed for who knows how long!
Surely OP, who didn't even have the ability to take down the AC, knows how to vacpump the system, identify leaks and refill it to factory spec after sweating on test/fill ports, rite guys?
>>
File: IMG_1256.jpg (2MB, 3477x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1256.jpg
2MB, 3477x3024px
>>1196830
Go fuck yourself, shitlord
>>
>>1197073
OP already said he's going to buy a new one. All these AC techs in this thread BTFO and is going to starve.
>>
>>1196820
Curious about your opinions on this.
Energy comes from the sun. All of it.
For long time it was used to make trees and animals and shit who got buried and turned into all oil and gas and coal and shit right. So then all of a sudden we start fucking burning all this stored up energy that's been accumulating for how fucking long? Thousands millions of years and we turn it all into heat essentially.
And peoples are like woah suddenly it's hot now?
No fucking shit.

I though someone figured out cows farting was supposed to be making gas that was way worse and yeah that would be humans fault but no we have to go on hearing about co2 and cars are bad and shit instead?
I guess catching the bus is better than being veggie
>>
>>1197685
Look into the electric universe theory. Energy also comes from the Earth's core.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.