[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dry Ice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: IMG638212943.jpg (67KB, 460x645px) Image search: [Google]
IMG638212943.jpg
67KB, 460x645px
Need to make a little dry ice, some what regularly. Been looking around and attachments are expensive, makers are even more, and the fire extinguisher pillow case method isn't cheap either.

I was thinking a pillow case over a paint ball cartridge would essentially do the same thing. But without a trigger, I don't know how to release the CO2 from the canister in a controlled way.

Any ideas?
>>
>>1194813
For the small CO2 powerlets take a look at bicycle tire inflators. Alternatively, take a look at the 9-32 oz paintball bottles. Depressing the valve stem will release a LOT of CO2 very quickly. Any paintball store can also sell you the fill valve and hose. Tell them you are putting together a home fill station. Screw on the valve body and turn in the valve stem to release the gas. You can easily hurt yourself like this so be warned. The hose will whip around and if the bottle is not securely held it could take off like a rocket. Also, frostbite.
Something to be aware of if this CO2 will be used for anything you will take into your body: industrial CO2 found in small powerlets and paintball tanks is NOT food grade. It is made from petroleum products and contains carcinogens. Food grade CO2 is made from Ethanol.
>>
Use earmuffs when doing anything with pressurized gas.
>>
>>1194868
My understanding is that most CO2 comes from the same sources, but the difference is cleanliness of storage tanks? The air gun cartridges may contain some oil for rustproofing?
>>
>>1194813
What's the dry ice for? Couldn't the gas be used directly for cooling whatever? Why not buy dry ice instead of buying carbon dioxide tanks?
>>
>>1194868
Great info, thanks.
Huge help, I gotta look into the food bit, thanks for the warning.

>>1194952
Noted, thanks.

>>1194956
Something to look into.

>>1194959
I'm a bartender and one of my best selling drinks has a little dry ice ice cube in it to make it smoke.
It has been food grade for years, made sure of that when we introduced it.

Used to buy the ice in blocks, but my supplier moved. Now I'd have to drive over an hour to get some. There might be somewhere closer, but I can't find shit.
>>
>>1194956
Might contain impurities depending on how its made
>>
>>1195243
Where do you live?
>>
>>1195243
Build storage for a weeks worth of dry ice.
>>
>>1195248
Long Island, NY. Pretty sure I'd have to go to Brooklyn.

>>1195315
Why?
>>
I know this is /diy/ but grocery stores sell it by the block, why go through the hassle?
>>
>>1195337
>Why?
So you only have to make one trip per week. But there really should be a closer supplier to you than Brooklyn. Dry ice isn't exactly rare.
>>
>>1195339
yeah a bunch of the walmarts around here (dfw) sell it in a big freezer up at the front of the store. i forgot the cost but think it was pretty cheap/lb
>>
>>1195339
>>1195390
>>1195346
Can't Wal-Mart's and grocery stores don't sell it here. Even the beer distributers don't sell it. In fact they can't even get it either.
>>
>>1194956
Not exactly. Non-food grade CO2 is made from petroleum as I said while food grade CO2 is made from ethanol. The non food grade contains traces of benzene and God knows what all. Beyond that, the two products are stored, shipped, and dispensed from different products. Everything from the valves to the bottles to the hoses have to be food grade. I work in a sporting goods store service shop and we fill thousands of CO2 and HPA tanks a year. We are expressly forbidden from filling those Soda Stream bottles, beer keg tanks, or anything else used for human consumtion. I used to think it was just because if how the gov't regulates things and that the end product was identical. Not the case at all. Carbonating your beer with industrial CO2 would be the equivalent of serving your beer out of an old gasoline can.
>>
Your yield will be uselessly low. There's probably a nearby supplier you just haven't found yet.
>>
>>1195553
Probably cheaper to have the dry ice couriered to you than to make yoir own.
>>
Contact praxis or airgas they distribute dry ice and food grade co2.

At yhr least you can get them to drop you a tank of co2 weekly at the bar, to make the ice yourself.

Then claim your ice is small batch atrisinal
>>
File: 1466029584686.jpg (43KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
1466029584686.jpg
43KB, 1000x750px
>>1195402
You fucking liar
>>
I'm in comparatively sparse Minnesota and dry ice is only a few miles away. How are you so helpless?
>>
>>1195553
>>1195630
>>1195645
Trust me I've used Google and called a lot of places.
I'm pretty much assuming NY or maybe more specifically LI has a law about it.

>>1195634
I'll look into this, if they can deliver for a reasonable price that'd be perfect, thanks anon.

>>1195644
Literally why would I make that up? It would be so much easier to just drive 20min to the Wal-Mart. Do a search over LI for Wal-Mart, pick one, and call it. It'll take you a minute and a half.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170618-190128.png (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170618-190128.png
1MB, 1440x2560px
>>1195729
Fucking liar!
>>
>>1195897
3, 2, and 5 are too far away. Thus my desire to make my own.
4 out of business, based on just the location. I can't see the name.

Never heard of Apple Ice. I'll try them though, so thanks?

Also, what did I lie about kek?
>>
You think it's acceptable to serve shit from a damp pillowcase to paying customers?
>>
>>1195922
A clean pillow case maybe, or one of the attachment bags made for exactly this. This idea hasn't really gone past the idea phase. Chill out.
>>
>>1195337
They easiest way is to just order some Omaha steaks. No joke
>>
>>1195948
I've actually considered this, having bought from them before (for myself).

Any idea what the cheapest with shipping would cost?
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.