[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I have a great friend thats a hoarder. We exchange favors

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 3

File: hoarding.jpg (157KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
hoarding.jpg
157KB, 720x720px
So I have a great friend thats a hoarder. We exchange favors often yet he always expects me to help move truck loads of shit to storage units because he helped me with something trivial. We spend two days clearing his house to have it filled up again in a month. If you try and discuss it he gets mad and throws guilt trips. WTD? His wife and kids are miserable. Ironically the guy is a genius....and alot of fun to be around. I'm the exact opposite with regards to hoarding, I'm very organized...Frustrating...If I didn't like the guy I'd tell him to fuck off ...Pic not related but relative
>>
>>1194678
Your pic is acceptable level of hoarding, at least it is clearly organized, kept clean, and the plants taken care of, which would make it healthier than an empty room
>>
>>1194678
It's an addiction OP. It's not going to change until he wants to, and nothing you do or say can make him want to.
>>
Instead of taking the junk to a storage unit just throw it out?
>>
>>1194684
Not a pic of his place, it's 1000 times worse
>>
Some people are just like that op. I helped an old guy downsize and for him moving 4 sheds into one has proved hard. He had a storage unit for a while. Time will sort it out one way or the other. No one lives forever and sooner or later you or someone else will end up clearing his stuff up.
>>
>>1194688
Ive said the very same thing....to him its as if you suggested killing his dog...Its insane you just dont get it
>>
>>1194694
*he
>>
Crazy isn't curable except by death.

When the crazy becomes inconvenient, drop them out of your life.
>>
>>1194678
I'm a bit of a hoarder. I know because every 3 years i haul dozens of pickup loads off or give anythibg i can away. I immediately regret it bit i won't let it run my life.

One of my greatest hits is diging through random boxes in the garage untouched for years only to find cool shit i forgot about. Just to use it of put it back for another 3 years.

Most of my shit is sit tho or started with a plan in mind. I dont just have 14 new fans in a box or 4 closets full of shit that doesnt fit me
>>
>>1194712
I get that, it would be cool pulling out old stuff, not the case here...this guy just buys and piles. He dont buy 1 thing on E-Bay he contacts the seller and buys 1,000 then brags about getting a deal then never uses the shit FUCK...The shit is to the ceiling in every room of a huge house and in at least a dozen huge storage units...then he bitches when he can't find anything. It is insanity...Such a quandary..appreciate the input gang! Although Ive already thought everything I've heard so far
>>
>>1194697
Me or him?...lol....leaning towards myself for giving a shit
>>
Multiple buried, stacked, and drone suspended cargo containers?
>>
>>1194721
If hes got multiples (of everything) get selling. Hes got no excuses for hanging on to crap if its all in bulk. Give us a few examples, new? electronics? - see what we talking here.
>>
>>1194846
Most is antiquated
>>
>>1194839
elaborate
>>
>>1194678
Why don't you ask him directly, "Are you gonna spend two days clearing this house to have it filled up again in a month?"
Considering he's a genius I don't see how he doesn't realize that he has a problem and that it's not fair to trouble you and his own family with all this shit.
Just be honest with the guy.
>>
>>1194678
Friendships are all about the good times being worth all the shitty times
>>
>>1194869
Did exactly that....I'll buy you a beer...People at this level of mental illness are beyond reasoning
>>
>>1194895
you are right my friend...buying you a beer as well
have to weigh the good with the bad
>>
Thanks gang...you havent answered my question as noone can...but you have made me realize that my thoughts are normal....
>>
>>1194895
Friendships are also about telling your friends when they are being shitty and self destructive.
>>
>>1194911
>are being shitty and self destructive.

What you are his nagging girlfriend?
Being a packrat is self destructive now?
>>
>>1194678
Why do people hoard things? You're going to die, and you're going to die soon.
>>
>>1194678
my mom does this, and its gotta be with drugs she is on (meth) that makes her do this, I swear to god.

IDK how I didn't end up like her, I only buy stuff I need, not wanted. With her its just whatever.
>>
My grandma is a hoarder who bought a two storey shed and filled it up shit from her doublewide trailer. We now live on the land without the trailer and a two storey house (not filled up with shit). She lives with us and asked me to go out there and clean once in the middle of the NC summer. It was 90f in the morning. A nightmare.

She now doesn't want to clean it and whenever someone mentions it she'll say, "WELL I WANTED TO CLEAN IT BUT NO ONE WANTED TO HELP!" We have a small shed too that belonged to my grandpa and we started to clean it out (with the help of her friends who were convincing her to throw stuff away) and we still only able to clean out about half of it (which has tools now so it's not the worst thing and at least progress was made), but she wouldn't even let us throw out Christmas decorations we'll never use ever again. She just says, "no" and because she doesn't want to.

Living with a hoarder is hell. Her room is a cluttered mess. I recently cleaned up my clutter and I feel much better, and have way more room. It's crazy.
>>
>>1194678
Stop helping him move the shit then, and don't accept his favors for you if they're going to come with disproportionate shit-hauling strings attached. I'm no stranger to the favor-for-favor system but it's not unreasonable to expect a measure of parity in the exchange such that 5 minutes helping to carry a desk up some stairs is not the same as spending literally all day cleaning/organizing/hauling garbage.
>>
>>1195063
BINGO....that is exactly what I did yesterday
He refused to throw the junk away and I told him this is it...dont offer to do me any more favors...fuck it....
>>
>>1194927
drop the glass dick cracky
>>
>>1194911
agreed, nutbuckets can justify it...this guy thinks everyone else is crazy....just told him doing this once, never again
>>
>>1195061
crazy indeed....beyond reasoning
>>
>>1194916
Yes.
http://m.nydailynews.com/news/national/extreme-hoarder-texas-found-dead-home-garbage-article-1.1737809

Definitely makes me not hang out with you, like ever. Get your shot together.
>>
>>1195216
>Definitely makes me not hang out with you, like ever. Get your shot together.

Sound like a real gem. Hypberole of /diy/ers who are packrats are suddenly on the level of old men who saved literal garbage for years. Then you sit and think that you are special enough to matter, so shallow you would whine about what people hang onto yet somehow worthwhile enough for people to want you around? kek
>>
>>1194869
My mother has mild hoarding addiction and you CAN NOT appeal to logic or reason. Mention that most of the food in the fridge is expired, or complain that all four chairs and the table are stacked with shit? She'll brush it off as a joke. She'll pretend not to hear. She'll deflect by pointing out the fact that my shoes and bag are in the hallway so "it's not just her mess". If pressed, she'll get upset and cry to end the conversation.

She frequently talks about "organising" and buying storage boxes, under-bed storage, etc. Once in a blue moon she'll have a "clear out" where she gets all her shit out, puts it in piles, and then puts 95% of it back where it was originally. And then goes out and "treats herself" with a bulky new purchase because in her mind she's created ample space.

Put up with it while you can and cut ties when you can't stand it any more. It's the only way.
>>
Thanks for all the input...just solidifies my thinking
because I felt guilty...Some people with mental illness are very manipulative
>>
>>1194895
Friends are people you associate through choice, not obligation. If your friends regularly give you "shitty times" then they're not good friends.
>>
>>1195227
He has literally said that his friend IS AT THAT LEVEL. The OP image IS NOT HIS FRIENDS HOUSE.
>>
>>1195333
>>1195227
And to begin with, the OP image DOES display an unhealthy level of hoarding. That's not being a packrat. That's being a peice of human trash. Hence the 'rat' part of the term in the first place. Guarantee your ass grew up in a dilapidated trailer with a chainsmoking deadbeat mother and an alcoholic father if you think that shit is fucking acceptable. Makes me all the more grateful that I had decent parents to teach me right from wrong and how to keep a fucking house.
>>
>>1195336
>that I had decent parents to teach me right from wrong
If, as stated, you enjoyed most every advantage life has to offer in your own upbringing, things which some people never had, surprisingly - why then, are you such an unpleasant cockend?

There are also an odd amount of cleanliness fascists in here for a fucking /diy/ forum, suspiciously so. Chaos and Creativity go hand in hand, now, bow down to your shitlord betters - I had planned to finish this on a different, stronger sentence, but, I mislaid that, somewhere..
>>
>>1194678
That is the cleanest hoarder nest I have ever seen, how is there not dirt and filth on the carpet?
>>
>>1196434
He also hoards vacuum cleaners.
>>
File: operationdickfarm1.jpg (354KB, 1080x1752px) Image search: [Google]
operationdickfarm1.jpg
354KB, 1080x1752px
>>1195208
G-glass dicks you say?
>>
>>1194721
Sweet hell...
>>
>>1194721
Sounds like your friend is the opposite of genius and cool.
>>
My girlfriends mom is a damn hoarder also. But she is on of those coupon and save a few cents here and there jew. She keeps almost every damn coupon and buy shit she rarely buys and gives us coupons for shit we never buy. Some of her junk she tries to give to us but its junk/damaged crap.

I got called a pack rat a few times but not a hoarder. This is because I have a (small walk-in closet) room of computer parts and electronics. But I keep it clean and nicely organized. Once or twice a year I do look to see what I don't use and can get rid of.
>>
>>1194678
tip the cops that he has drug somewhere in his house
>>
>>1194678
Op, my mom is a hoarder. It made growing up hell as me and my brother would have to navigate a maze of boxed garbage everytime we needed to get somewhere. We'd also get blamed for it, my mom saying it was all because we didn't do enough chores. I'm 30 now and she still has the shit in storage, paying 300 a month to keep garbage.

It's mental illness and addiction, so you have to understand that it's like a separate personality inside of them. I've tried everything with my mom, from being cold and harsh, to subtly suggesting, to just pleading and begging. Those kinds of things won't work. Sometimes these people develope fantasies about how they'll get rid of their hoard in a highly profitable way like selling it all for a good price, but it's just apart of their mental trap. My mom has loads of ragged furniture she thinks an antique collector will pay top dollar for.

You may have to let go of this problem. Hoarders become desperate and it's hard to watch, but you cannot make their problem your own. Trust me, I've done that and it's gotten nowhere and taken its toll on me. After all I've tried to do, I just get rewarded with resentment. My mother's attitude is "you've had 20 years to solve my problem for me despite me resisting every step of the way and you failed." Hearing her express that in different ways was very hurtful, until I realized that its not my fault someone else chooses to not grow. Suggest he go to therapy but just leave it at that.
>>
>>1197131
I'm kind of a redneck. Got a yard full of mowers and cut up 4 wheelers and shit. If im not working im generaly pkaying monster garage in my back yard. You think thats a hoarding problem anons?

It takes up a lot of roo. And i keep a lot of good parts in out og the weather but near all of it has a purpose or i junk it....
>>
Check out his stuff and rent out a space in a flea market and sell it

I'd argue that the fact that he has to store things away in some storage buffer, that is like two or three tiers away from accessibility (It's not in his room/car, so not IMMEDIATELY accessible, and thus, not needed, and it's not in a garage or shed, not "kind of" needed), shows that it's not necessary and is a collectible, in his eyes, in which case, selling would bring in more funds to buy real things or at the very least, BETTER collectibles.

Frankly he should run a small shop, it's even more storage, and he can pawn off his stuff and also open up doors for other people to sell him stuff, but the lease will keep him check. The guy likes to collect, I know the feeling. I would just make a strong argument for selling, there will always be better things to have. My inner piggy can vouch for that.
>>
File: IMAG0064.jpg (1MB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0064.jpg
1MB, 1520x2688px
>>1197284
pics are the only way to tell a horde from a storage area

>>1197131
>After all I've tried to do, I just get rewarded with resentment

I feel this.

This is my grandmother's bedroom - she was sleeping on her couch for years before she died because the room was full up with junk
>>
>>1197306
I'll add I cleaned it up but my parents are hoarders too and they saved a lot of the junk "to sell later" and get angry if I tell them they shouldn't
>>
>>1194678
I can sympathize, my stepdad is a hoarder. It's funny how he gets when we talk to him about it, as if his brain just shuts down, like he's oblivious to the whole thing
>>
>>1197314
>as if his brain just shuts down, like he's oblivious to the whole thing

More like people dont give a shit about your opinion when it comes to their stuff.
What do you expect him to say?

"Sure, ill let you dictate what I buy and how I keep house!"
>>
>>1197322
>t. hoarder
>>
>>1197327
>4chan
Not surprised tbqh senpai
>>
>>1197327
Nobody wants to hear about how they keep house, hoarder or not.
When you come in and obviously lack respect for their possessions, of course nobody is going to listen to you.
>>
>>1194678
A good therapist. Hoarders often hoard to try to cover up or cope with horrific trauma that dont want to deal with. They hoarding wont stop until they deal with the trauma thats giving them an unhealthy attachment to all the junk.

I'd suggest pulling up the research on the causes of hoarding and talking with him about it. Offering up some good therapists that have dealt with this in your area. Some people don;t know how to take the first steps or are scared to do it alone. Some people know whats up but are to scared to do it and need an intervention.

For now stop helping him move shit, thats just enabling him.
>>
>>1197284
Well no, I mean if you have the yard and storage, I think it's OK. It's only a problem when it's hurting your life, your living space, or costing you. I personally don't feel comfortable with junk I don't use around, but if I had the time to tinker or play mechanic on some stuff, that sounds like a nice hobby. Plus the kinda stuff you describe tends to have utility and value.
>>
>>1194684
Looks more like an antique shop, than a hoarder's place.
>>
>>1194859
Antique as in a room full of original Macintosh computers or other hipster level desirable old tech? Or antique as in a bunch of zip drives that have little value?
>>
>>1195289
Most people with mental illnesses are manipulative, only to preserve and spread the illnesses. Found this out the hard way.
You will feel guilty, your friend will help you feel that way. Stick to your guns. In the end, it'll be worth it.
>>
I haven't fully unpacked after moving and this thread is inspiring me to finish unpacking and organizing today...
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.