[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pinewood Car

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: Pine_Wood.jpg (47KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
Pine_Wood.jpg
47KB, 960x540px
- How many pinewood cars have you built?
- What's your fastest car?
- What's your most interesting car?
>>
It cannot be built with a hammer, therefore it is not diy and you need to leave.
>>
>>1194451
I did build one, when I was in Cubs...I might have been 7 or 8 years old...so about 45 odd years ago...
>>
>>1194459
liar, everyone knows the dads do at least 80% of the work.
>>
>>1194451

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RjJtO51ykY

My dad put a couple bullets on the sides of mine for weight and the other kids thought it was the coolest.
>>
File: 15.jpg (154KB, 550x461px) Image search: [Google]
15.jpg
154KB, 550x461px
>>1194457
I beg to differ.
>>
>>1194461

Try having a dad who designs aircraft help you with your pine car... we built a fucking wind tunnel because we had it pushing the point where drag was an actual problem. We raced at a total of 8 races over four years and never even came close to losing a race, but I never really did a damn thing on that car.

It did rub off though because my town held a race for a fund raiser a few years back and I won it pretty easy with my own car.
>>
>>1194451
Polish your axles
Countersink the inside of you hubs
Raise one wheel so it only runs on three of them
Make sure your wheels spin without going "wonky"
Tune it so it goes straight as an arrow
Add all your weight as low and far back as possible
Graphite.. lots and lots of graphite
>>
>>1194524
>Tune it so it goes straight as an arrow

You actually want it to veer very slightly to one side.

Reason being that, if it goes straight, it tends to chatter between the rails. This is worse than rubbing lightly against one of them.
>>
>>1194529

You want it straight, the front end should only have one wheel on the ground and with the weight in the back keeps it from sliding where there are two wheels to bounce.

>>1194524

Don't forget
>bend your axles
>cut your axles
>polish your wheels
>shave your wheels
>balance so that it sets on two wheels on the flats
>cut a notch on the front bottom for that extra fraction of a second when the pin drops
>Teflon, lots of teflon
>>
>>1194524
>Raise one wheel so it only runs on three of them
>>1194575
>>bend your axles
>>1194575
>>polish your wheels
>>shave your wheels

Some packs have rules against these tricks.

You also want to avoid any flat surfaces on the car.
Any flat surface will create turbulence, and thus increase drag.
>>
>>1194494
TOPKEK
>>
File: pinewood_derby.jpg (102KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
pinewood_derby.jpg
102KB, 1024x768px
>>1194451
Only two. Both won by a landslide.
Pic related.
First one was the "School Bus", the second was the "Pinewood Derby Cheater"
>>
>>1194687
what is the metall?
>>
>>1194582

>You also want to avoid any flat surfaces on the car.

this gives me the idea to add the textur of a golfball on the outside
>>
>>1194451
Funny memory.
I wasnt in the scouts for very long, small town and the whole troop wasnt very serious.
I think I made 2 cars? I dont remember

I bought one of the precut cars from the hardware store, sanded and spray painted it. Threw weights in the bottom of it.

I got 2nd place. I recognized the first place and third place cars as also being precut ones from the store. During the trophy ceremony on stage we were actually joking and laughing that we had won with precut ones.

Nowadays I would have dumped hours and hours into making something badass. I didnt care in that point of my life though
>>
File: Pinewood_Derby_1.jpg (19KB, 510x289px) Image search: [Google]
Pinewood_Derby_1.jpg
19KB, 510x289px
>>1194687
why are there radiation signs on that
and whats in the yellow waste barrel

are you stan marsh stealing parts out of a hadron colider
make sure you wont accidentaly discover a warp drive
>>
>>1194687
>>1196358
The radioactive boy scout never fucked around, even in cub scouts.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.