[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

electric garden fence

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

File: tmb_5791_480.jpg (12KB, 480x256px) Image search: [Google]
tmb_5791_480.jpg
12KB, 480x256px
Anyone had any experience setting up/building an electric fence? Need something to stop small animals from getting into 15'x30' garden area.

No, I don't plan on shooting anything for multiple reasons.

Ideally I'd like to have it powered by solar, but cost is a factor.
>>
File: IMG_2909.jpg (38KB, 512x288px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2909.jpg
38KB, 512x288px
Fencer here, what want know?
>>
>>1194324
how much do you hate your life?
>>
>>1194324
Never mind am retard who can't read, for that area probably easier putting up a mesh fence, to stop small things you'd need a 9 wire electric with a solar unit. Tricky fence to build for someone new to fencing and pretty costly too.
>>
>>1194326
Eh my life's a 6/10, I have a one bedroom house that's paid off, never had a misses only drunken roots. I'm just your tipical lonely blue collar microwave dinner depressed guy in his 30s.
>>
>>1194324
>>1194327
I was planning on getting some galvanized wire from the hardware store, and stringing two wires around insulated rebar posts. I'm not sure what the cheapest way to power it would be.

I don't like having to run multiple extension cords out, but there are corded units on amazon from $30.
>>
>>1194323
>Need something to stop small animals
>electric fence

does not compute
>>
>>1194331

giving them temporary shock vs permanent dead

there is a reason they are considered nuisance animals and can be legally shot anytime of the year without a license; I don't want them dead (apart from skunks), I just want them to leave the garden alone
>>
>>1194334
Im the fencer from a few post up, it's not worth the money or effort in a garden that small. Get a mesh fence and an air rifle.
>>
>>1194323
All you need are some star stakes, some chicken wire, a non-conductive way to attach the latter to the former (zip ties and a rubber wrap around the stake, maybe slide a section of bike inner tube over them?) and a hv generator. Those bug zapper rackets come to mind. Some one smarter than me should be able to fill in the solar part.

Can't imagine it being too much of a chore.
>>
go to a farm supply store and look at the electric fence chargers, they do make solar ones but you'll be looking to pay at least 70-80 buckaroos for anything solar.
>>
>>1194355
>Those bug zapper rackets come to mind.
I thought about doing something that, but I don't think it would pack enough punch for something like a woodchuck. Maybe with more/larger capacitors?

Since those can run on AAs, it should be chargeable the same way the solar lawn lights are (they have AAs in them).

>>1194357
yeah, tractor supply should carry them, but that's more than I'd be willing to pay

If I did solar, I'd most likely want to use like a 15-45watt HF panel, so at least it would have a future purpose
>>
>>1194323

https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY/comments/6g1q2s/i_made_a_slug_electric_fence/

Just need more volts for stuff that isn't slimy.
>>
>>1194417
Also needs to be AC for big critters?
>>
No need for electric to keep rabbits out. Are deer chomping your garden?
>>
>>1194417
several years late

https://www.instructables.com/id/Installing-and-testing-an-electric-slug-fence-on-a/

>>1194423
something got in there last year; I know there are rabbits and woodchucks in the area, and the latter are incredibly crafty

deer are a whole different subject
>>
>>1194435
Seriously mate, don't bother with electrical, just build a solid fence around your garden and mesh your veggies, really is the best you can do.
>>
>>1194329
What part of Aus are you from?
>>
if OP decides to go along with this, he needs to remember an important safety feature: the fence can only be energized intermittently, to give whatever (maybe a person) a chance to let go. off the top of my head, i'd say ON for 0.1s and OFF for 3s.
>>
>>1194518
after more reading, and cost calculating, OP thinks it would be much more cost effective (and safer) to simply get a corded fence thingy, and hook up the wires as mentioned

I can get everything locally, and it will be cheaper than amazon

if I was going to do solar, I'd get/need a HF solar panel, battery, and inverter, then plug the corded fence shocker into it....and that's a heck of a lot more than the $30 or so for the simple setup
>>
>>1194329
>6/10
I'd say thats above average here
>>
Waist high mesh is all you need to keep rabbits out. An electric fence is not appropriate here.
>>
>>1194546
Electrocuting small animals is always the answer.
>>
File: 1 (1).jpg (120KB, 600x480px) Image search: [Google]
1 (1).jpg
120KB, 600x480px
>>1194323
somthing like this?
>>
File: DSCN2889a.jpg (3MB, 2040x3044px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN2889a.jpg
3MB, 2040x3044px
>>1194327
>>1194323
Farmer here. One of my gardens uses electrified welded wire fencing to keep cats, rabbits, opossums, raccoons, and groundhogs out of it. I originally used a couple strands of regular wire with a solar fence charger ($200 in 2007(?) for a 25-mile charger). That did the trick for most cats and everything else (there's a 6' fence for the rest of the property that keeps deer out/unless something is chasing them.) I kept the grass down using boiled water. Later, I switched to the welded wire fencing to keep the rest of the cats out, among other reasons. For that, I had to manufacture all the insulators myself using black plastic gasline pipe.

Here's the solar fence charger I use,

>Parmak DF-SP-LI Solar Pak 6 Low Impedance 6-Volt Battery-Operated 25-Mile-Range Electric Fence Charger
>$174.31 & FREE Shipping
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BWZB74/ref=asc_df_B000BWZB745032806/

I've needed to replace the battery once so far, but the 5-year mark is up for the latest battery so I'll probably need to replace it soonish. If you don't have cats being a problem, just the few lines of wire and some posts will work if you can get it really close to the ground and keep the weeds away.
>>
>>1194560
That fence pains me to look at.
>>
>>1194621
It works beautifully though.
>>
>>1194334
I'm saying putting an electric fence close enough to the ground to keep small animals out is going to cause you problems.
Any kind of plant or grass will grow long enough to bridge the gap easily and short out the circuit, you would need it over a strip of concrete or they will burrow under anyway.

You could look into ultrasonic repellers, would be much more simple
>>
>>1194420
Slug repeller works completely differently, electric field fucks with their navigation to turn then around before they touch it.

Doesn't need to be AC as in alternating polarity but it absolutely needs to have a very small duty cycle. When you listen to an electric fence you hear a click every 2-3 seconds, the click is it turning on and off again, it's only on for a tiny fraction of a second. Also the current and voltage should be calculated depending on the situation.
>>
>>1194627
>waratahs
>works beautifully
Fencers are laughing at you.
>>
>>1194647
I've been fencing for nearly 30 years on innumerable farms and fence types. I don't see the point of doing anything else when everything else won't work as effectively. This way the entire fence is electrified and insulated.

>waratahs

What?
>>
One weed against the fence shorts it and the fence is useless...plant a bigger garden and figure a 20% loss to insects and animals etc...
>>
>>1194661
>Yank thinks he knows about fencing.
Also metal post (Waratahs) are hated over here.
Also H bracing is shit.
http://youtu.be/xvMj4zRN9Fo
>>
>>1194549
if I see boar, I would need something with a lot more firepower

>>1194560
yep, that's about what I'm thinking it will look like

I thought about using pvc on the posts too

I saw that one, but considering the price, I could probably get a large panel kit, inverter, battery, fence electrifier, and accessories for that price or less

>>1194642
>>1194663
that is what a weed barrier is for

I don't think they would try to dig under it, there are probably easier meals to find
>>
>>1194677
PLease for the love of God, why can't Americans into post insulators, and fuck off it takes some serious fucking weeds to short a fence. I've been on properties where blackberry has ground into the undergat and still hasn't been shorted. and I'll repeat this one more time.
DONT BUILD AN ELECTRIC FENCE FOR YOUR PUNY FUCKING GARDEN CUNT!!!!
>>
>>1194669
oic you're just trolling.
>>
>>1194680
>it takes some serious fucking weeds to short a fence

I live in a temperate rainforest. "Weeds" are an understatement. Some grow a foot a day and electric fences don't do anything to them.

>getting this asspained

You should probably stop posting, kid.
>>
>>1194702
>electric fences don't do anything to them
Yeah no shit the weeds aren't fucking bothered but the fence isn't as effective if its dumping charge into weeds instead of animals. Dickhead.
>>
>>1194701
No, my life's just boring and all I'm good at is fencing.
>>
>>1194677
>that is what a weed barrier is for
In the midwest that barrier would have to be 3' wide on each side of the fence...I get it
>>
well if you don't want to kill them you would want around say 5-10V AC with 10mA of current. that shouldn't kill them but it'll give them a good zap.

you would need a solar panel with built in PV panels, so they produce AC and not DC (AC is more dangerous than DC, hurts more, etc)

to step up or down said voltage you would need to find a correctly rated AC a transformer.

you would need a battery so when they turn off at night it runs off a battery. this whole process would involve some circuitry so if you don't know that, better to buy one.
i'm pretty sure this would work, i'm no professional.

easiest way would be to get 2 separate metal meshes, metal exposed of course, and put them next to eachother about 2cm.

attach one to live wire, the other to neutral wire. aka a wall outlet.

they would climb through and get stuck in the mesh, and probably struggle and at some point touch both wires. they'd probably die.

i don't recommend this because if the meshes touch, it will short circuit and possible fry your wall outlet.
>>
>>1194753
>i don't know anything about electricity
>>
>>1194753
>a wall outlet
yeah
that's a bad idea
>>
>>1194706
>>1194706
>weeds can't short a fence out
>weeds can short a fence out
>*autistic cursing*

Seems like you have a serious problem. Did you skip a meal?
>>
>>1194767
you have misread what i wrote
did you skip putting your glasses on
>blah blah autism
oh wow i guess i have autism grow up eh.
>>
>>1194777
Sure thing, kid.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.