[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the pro and con of Polystyrene Cladding /diy/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

File: 1466250081283.jpg (22KB, 370x278px) Image search: [Google]
1466250081283.jpg
22KB, 370x278px
>>
>>1194193
Look at news in london.
>>
>>1194193
>Polystyrene Cladding
what i saw when you put only plaster on it its not vandal proof you can punch a hole in it and birds can make nest in it and so on
also i read the new isolation standard is som mix of fibers(Glass wool?) and polystyrene or somthing like that so you dont need like 15cm+ thick polystyrene
>>
It increases R-value and airtightness. It also brings the dewpoint (the point where moist air condenses into water) out closer to the outside and on to the right side of the vapor barrier.
>>
>>1194193
>Pro
You'll die really quickly when it catches fire

>Con
Your life insurance company get to keep all the money that was saved by not having to pay for cremation
>>
>Pros
Killed 600 pakis
>Cons
There are non, high rise scum need to be burned.
>>
File: pri_43341355[1].jpg (357KB, 2500x1664px) Image search: [Google]
pri_43341355[1].jpg
357KB, 2500x1664px
>>1194193
tbf, London was not exactly 'polysterene', theres a few components in those sheets, waterproof skin, etc. There is also 2 basic variations, one 'flame-retardant' (= still go on fire, just takes longer) and the cheaper version, which could just be called fire retarded, esp in tower block use.
As is obvious, they chose the latter, but even then, Christ Almighty.. was watching some of that live, thinking, never seen shit go up like that, not even stuff that was s'posed to. Pic Related, the nuclear glowing white flameline (and fireballs dropping from the sky) is the cladding, 70 metres high inferno, in minutes. While they weren't in any danger of running short of other things they fucked up (leaving a cavity behind cladding, removing internal firestops, blocked one of the two fire exits in a previous renovation, etc), must be about time they banned ise of such blatantly combustible material for high-rises At least asbestos gave you 20-30 years, this shit does you in as many minutes.
>>
>>1194289
>cavity behind cladding,

Isn't that a required rain screen gap?
>>
>>1194293
http://www.vivalda.co.uk/products/frame-fixings/cavity-fire-barriers-lamaterm/
s'posed to be these or similar, in an ideal wrold. Whether reg or not, I dunno, but, if they were fitted here? dont seem to have been done so very effectively
>>
>>1194289
>70 metres high inferno, in minutes
guy was on the phone for 2 hours to relatives waiting on the fire to reach him.
i don't want to speak ill of the dead but if you sit in a burning building for two hours waiting to die then you are kind of a retard. his brother escaped, just walked down the stairs and out.
>>
>>1194319
perhaps some genius at the Fire Brigade advised:
>DONT FUCKING MOVE AN INCH, WERE COMING TO GET YOU. STAY WHERE YOU ARE!
..but, I'm sure that never happened or anything? I'm not totally disagreeing either, I'd probably take my chances and leg it as well, but, that was the advice, however retarded. There was also, as said, an original fire exit closed in that building (AFAIK) - and the burn time, depends what side of the building - one side went up, unargued, in about 15-20 minutes flat - took longer to work its way entirely around the building, but not long enough. If they'd left the fucking thing alone, original 70s concrete sans 'improvements', been fine.
>>
>>1194328
WHO GIVES A FUCK!! It was a building full off a benefit sucking pakis.
>>
>>1194328
The same thing happened in the twin towers.

The people who evacuated immediately are the ones who survived. The ones who listened to their "Safety Coordinators" and managers to stay put and wait are the ones who died.
>>
>>1194444
Octs confirm, the Jews did this one too, it's all so clear instead of killing whites so that the whites will kill Muslims they cut out the middle man and went straight to cooking sandniggers.
>>
Doesn't PS only ignite after prolonged exposure to an open flame? The ignition point or w/e where it self ignites is pretty high.
>>
>>1194448
I love the flavor of cooked sandnigger...my secret ingredient is minced garlic...how about you?
>>
>>1194454

Polystyrene doesn't catch fire THAT easily, but it, like most thermoplastics, it's a pretty energy-dense fuel. So, when it DOES go, it goes hard.

Polystyrene foam is even worse, having oxygen conveniently supplied throughout.
>>
>>1194456
Bacon and sage.
>>
>>1194454
>>1194464
Polystyrene is the main ingredient by weight in modern napalm. It burns long and hot, and sticks to anything it touches while burning. Of course, polystyrene construction materials lack the white phosphorous that ignites on contact with air, as well as a few other ingredients. But it's still a mess if it does start on fire somehow.
>>
So it's actually polyiso insulation.

"Ipswich firm Celotex confirmed it provided insulation materials for the refurbishment. The material has the most stringent fire rating in building standards regulations but independent tests on the material used to make it, polyisocyanurate, show that in intense fires it can release lethal hydrogen cyanide fumes and can be rapidly fatal."
>>
>tfw when used the same cladding system on a bunch of projects
>>
>>1194579
You monster.
>>
>>1194454
it depends on the temperature of the flame, you struggle with a lighter because there isn't enough energy to get it to ignite. if you are burning some fuel that has a high burn temperature it will go quite easily.

a candle burns at something like 1500c, carbon monoxide yes that is what i meant to write carbon monoxide burns at 2500c

if you work your way up to it its very easy to set pretty much anything alight very quickly.

you can't light thermite with a match (can you?) but you can light a strip of magnesium and then get it going with that.
>>
Aren't most Ameri-fag McMansions and Faux Chatouxs made from this? EIFS systems and all that?
>>
>>1194847
Nope, we use fiberglass bats. Only the hippies use foam.
>>
>>1194193
It is really shitty if you live in an area with regular gasoline rain.
>>
>>1194847
It's only really popular with commercial designs that require custom shaping, but the customer doesn't want to pay for actual craftsmanship. So, they ask the contractor and he says 'lets just fill it with foam and slather it with stucco'

There are houses with it in there, but maybe a pillar or two, possibly rounded edges. Nothing as extreme as that sandnigger tower.
>>
>>1194742
>you can't light thermite with a match (can you?)

Thermite is notoriously inconsistent with its ignition. You probably could, if you tried hard enough.
>>
Pros:
Cheap

Cons:
Mold
Fire
Garbage
>>
>>1194872
Everyone uses foam panels where I live as a layer on the outside and fiberglass between timbers. My house has fiberglass between everything, a 1-inch thick shell of solid, local hardwood sheething boards (the only thing house here don't have,) a layer of plywood on the outside of all corners, a layer of OSB on everything outside between the corners, a shell of foam panels all over everything then vinyl siding over that. Inside is all drywall. It is super quite inside too.

Every new house is like that, minus the hardwood layer, when you see them while driving by (redneck land).
>>
>>1195111
I forgot that all new houses that use foam also have a vapor barrier (tyvek brand) wrapped on the outside under the vinyl.
>>
>>1194847

Not the McMansions. But a lot of our lowrises and commercial buildings, yeah.

Thing is, in EIFS, you don't go leaving a cavity next to it.

When it's used under a rainscreen, code mandates fire blocking every ten feet height.
>>
>>1195111

That literally sounds like a deathtrap made of fumes and possibly burning.
>>
>>1195111
>Everyone uses foam panels where I live

RIP
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.