[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking to upgrade my air impact wrench, narrowed it down tl

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

File: 71j-sICyR4L._SY355_.jpg (18KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
71j-sICyR4L._SY355_.jpg
18KB, 355x355px
Looking to upgrade my air impact wrench, narrowed it down tl the harbor freight earthquake or the IR thunder gun. The IR is about $60 more at current prices. Which should I get?
>>
File: 41752X249XL._SL1500_.jpg (29KB, 498x500px) Image search: [Google]
41752X249XL._SL1500_.jpg
29KB, 498x500px
Pic of other wrench
>>
Ingersol Rand....there are no others
>>
File: IMG_2903.jpg (29KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2903.jpg
29KB, 480x480px
>Air impact driver
>>
The HF gun is severely overrated, check out AvE's video on it.
>>
File: 172~1_L_197c5cb1.jpg (68KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
172~1_L_197c5cb1.jpg
68KB, 600x600px
>>1193985
upgrade to a 3/8 airline and high flow fittings before you go 'upgrading' the gun.
>>
>>1194076
It's not overrated. His conclusion was that the methodology used in determining the figure was a little misleading. Watch the end of the video again
>>
>>1194076
>>1194090
Link?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmqKp6k9F-I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phu0R9DcElM

>>1193986
We don't get HF in this country but I'd imagine if you're comparing that with IR, do you really want to buy the IR?
>>
>>1194191
I'm actually leaning toward the IR, just wanted to check for sure to see I it is a lemon or if the HF one is actually a good deal
>>
The Earthquake line of HF impact tools get suprisingly good reviews. They sometimes go as low as $85 on sale for the 1/2". For the extra coin the IR will be waaaay better though.
>>
One thing I will say is that the HF fittings themselves are junk. All the ones I have bought leaked. They used to sell a black rubber Goodyear branded hose that was an outstanding buy but they don't carry it any more. They sell a red rubber one instead which is ok.
>>
>>1194042
check out this guy, he doesn't have his garage fitted with air lines.

he doesn't even own a compressor!
>>
>>1193986

That gun is basically IR's cheapest design for impacts, with upgraded internals to make it more powerful.

I can't stand that basic design, I used one professionally for a few years. The little direction and power setting switch on the back doesn't stay in place at all, you constantly have to check it and make sure it's where you want it. After like two pulls of the trigger, the vibration of the tool is enough to knock your settings back out of whack. It's always fun to spend like 5 minutes lining up your socket and universal and two extensions holding that all with one hand when you pull the trigger to find the damn thing has knocked itself into neutral. Slightly tapping the gun on anything is usually enough to knock the toggle switch out too. They're also loud as fuck, I never used one of the thunder gun types but I imagine that's got to be even louder. Oh, also because of the triangle sort of design on it's top, the ONLY way you can set the gun down is on it's side...which, you guessed it, knocks your settings out when you do that.

Never used the HF ones, but the composite line of IR start at like $30 more than the thunder fag, I have a few of those and can't recommend them enough.
>>
>>1194401
I do, I just don't use it for meme tools. I use it for lighting my fireplace and cleaning the door of my car.
>>
>>1194082
Anon is wise.

For seriously stuck fasteners I use a CO2 tank (vapor withdrawal, kegerator size or larger) with a Western 200psi fixed pressure regulator and a long hose to allow for more CO2 expansion. Beats buying an expensive "power tank" and CO2 cylinders store it as a liquid so they hold far more than a compressed air tank of similar size and pressure.

Expensive version:

https://www.expeditionexchange.com/powertank/FAQ.php

Instead, get this:

https://www.amazon.com/Western-Enterprises-RP320200-Regulator-Spring/dp/B008BJYHYW/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1497640141&sr=1-1&keywords=Western+Enterprises+RP320200

then install a BRASS quality high flow air chuck like a Milton Hi-Flow. (Steel chucks corrode too easily.)

CO2 cylinders can be purchased new or used and since they are exchanged for refill I buy used cylinders.

I score all the good used cylinders I can get cheap, and have nitrogen, CO2, argon and mixed gas for welding, and oxygen and acetylene for torch work. Learn to love industrial gas.
>>
>>1194703
wtf are you talking about?
>>
>>1194082

3/8 fittings is kind of overkill for anything under like a 3/4" impact. They make those smaller guns with a 1/4" inlet for a reason. You'll have to use an adapter to get it to work, and it's going to be stressing your gun way more than needs be. If you bought a powerful enough gun in the first place, you shouldn't need this.

Professionally I'd use 3/8 fittings on 3/4" and 1" impacts, as they're kind of needed. On my 3/4" impact, I actually set up a little adapter that I could use 1/4" or 3/8" input, whatevers handy. With a 3/8" input, It'd zip semi tractor/trailer wheel lugs right off, with the 1/4" it'd struggled but just barely get them off. Not really THAT huge of a difference, that shows you how it's made for much bigger tools than a 3/4" even.
>>
>>1194715
CO2 power for pneumatic tools, which should have been obvious.

I also use an air compressor but 200psi is above most consumer compressor output.

It's an old offroader trick and if you need to run an impact to free very stuck hardware works delightfully.
>>
>>1194732
>CO2 power for pneumatic tools, which should have been obvious.

aside from the fact that NOBODY was talking about that, why the fuck would you bother with co2 for air tools?

I don't actually care btw, so please don't answer.
>>
>>1194723
>You'll have to use an adapter to get it to work, and it's going to be stressing your gun way more than needs be.

Extra flow doesn't being AVAILABLE doesn't stress a pneumatic motor given equal pressure, and with the larger lines you get less pressure DROP between compressor and air motor. Extra air VOLUME available at the gun is always a good thing. How much of that volume you use depends on how long you hold the trigger.

"Air pigs" (a small tank or large pipe with one or more pneumatic chucks) at the end of an air line are useful to build up VOLUME near the gun between trigger pulls. I use a tee fitting to connect my feed line, gun/tool line and spare air tank for jobs that need intermittent volume like running my needle gun for paint and rust removal.

When in doubt, copy industrial and military practices.
>>
>>1194733
>why the fuck would you bother with co2 for air tools?

I'll answer because it can help others. Contractors also use CO2 cylinders for portability.

CO2 is powerful and portable. Off-roaders like it for the power to seat tires as well as run pneumatic tools. Now you learned something.

Basic to DIY is the further away you move from consumer shit the greater your advantage.
>>
>>1194735

and...none of this really matters seeing how we're talking about impacts, and you don't really hold the trigger down for continuous use on them.

What the hell is the point of any of this aside from you showing how much you think you know?
>>
>>1194748
>and...none of this really matters seeing how we're talking about impacts, and you don't really hold the trigger down for continuous use on them.

You can use quite a bit of air using an impact as well as other tools. I do and that's why I kept upgrading. If you are only going to turn a few fasteners now and then then you may not even need an impact, but if you use an impact they run MUCH better when generously supplied with power!

You can buy a king shit impact but if you are running off a feeble compressor with low pressure and volume it won't do you much good. Understand pneumatic tools as a system.

OTOH you can feed an ordinary impact plenty of air or other gas at high pressure and it will have much more power than otherwise. It's worth mentioning because noobs make the common error of not feeding their impacts enough air.

Common automobile example is removing stuck CV axle nuts. DIYers often can't shift those because their air supply is the issue. They may upgrade their impact gun without solving the problem. An experienced person wouldn't ask here so I give complete responses.
>>
>>1194759

I don't really know anybody who runs into such shitty air supply problems that they can't run an impact properly, so much so that they'd need to buy a 15cfm compressor and upgrade to 3/8" fittings.

I use my pretty high quality tools down at my dads place with his shitty old 1hp oilless compressor, and they still work alright, I don't have any problem taking cv nuts off and I do quite a few on his vehicles.

You're really talking overkill dude.

Or whatever, in order to do ANYTHING, you're going to need a 10hp compress with 1/2" hoses and 3/8" fittings in everything, along with extra tanks for more volume, and 200 psi co2 tanks for portable power. Yeah, so everyone get right on that.
>>
>>1194738
So why not HPA? I think you get something like half the shots from a 3k HPA as from a 20oz CO2 in painball. The advantage being that HPA does not frost inside the gun, causing pressure fluctuations. I would wonder if the freezing effect inside pnuematic tools could damage them.
>>
>>1194685
>meme tools

yeah, that's why every shop ever has IR air impact wrenches.
>>
>>1194884

Well...I think a lot of that is because their bottom line stuff is really durable and powerful. Loud as fuck, vibrates like crazy, and completely without ergonomics, but they're cheap, hard to break, and zip shit on and off.
>>
>>1194082
great idea if snapping lug nut studs off gives you a boner
>>
>>1194874
>I would wonder if the freezing effect inside pnuematic tools could damage them.
>>1194703
>and a long hose to allow for more CO2 expansion.
You musta missed the part about the long hose.
>>
>>1194912
I didn't miss it. I was not convinced by it.
>>
>>1194907

That's kind of a good point too. You don't need THAT powerful of a gun, I see some of these 1/2 guns out there now are putting out like 800 ft/lbs, and that's without upping your air hose size and cranking the pressure all the way up.

Wheel nut torque for most everything regular automotive is like 80-120 lbs. You can actually damage wheel studs, warp rotors, even fuck up rims if you try slamming lug nuts all the way tight even with a mid-level impact. That's one reason why you're supposed to use torque sticks.

My impact I think only puts out like 400 ft/lbs and it's close to 20 years old, i used it professionally the whole time. Power definitely isn't everything, even low powered impacts are more powerful than they need to be.

I'd always recommend quietness, ease of use, durability, way more than the power impacts put out.
>>
File: Ingersoll-Rand.jpg (256KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
Ingersoll-Rand.jpg
256KB, 800x800px
>>1193985
the earthquake gun is really good, my dad got one recently and likes it a bunch. i've had pic related (or an earlier model) for over 10 years. use it daily as an auto tech. 2 other coworkers bought them since mine has lasted so long. they make a "quiet" version which i have and it's significantly quieter. definitely worth the few extra bucks.
>>
>>1195508
Was going to post this gun,I have used it and several others in my shop have them. Personally using a craftsman pro for the last 4 years without a problem, but will be buying one of those IR when the craftsman dies.
>>
>>1195670
Funny story about mine... i wanted the old heavy one, because I was familiar with taking them apart and they last. Snap on guy sold me that one. $350. Fig whatever just give him $20 a week. He never showed up again.. that was 2009. Never paid a dime. Brother works at another shop so if my snap on shit breaks he just gets it warranty'd. Same snap on guy.. dunno why he never came back
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.