[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where does /diy/ get your tools?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 7

File: home-depot.jpg (651KB, 2100x1108px) Image search: [Google]
home-depot.jpg
651KB, 2100x1108px
I'm a Home Depot man myself, but I hear some people here unironically get tools from other places. Care to explain why?
>>
You get tools over a number of years from many different places.
>>
they seem to never carry some really nice brands such as wera and dalluge.I dont really care for husky tools and forget about finding a professional framer tool belt. but for 99% of diyers its just fine. Of course if price is always your priority harbor freight/ princess auto will do.
>>
Amazon. Whichever local big box has saleson at the time. Rona usually has best regular price on bar clamps. Canadian Tire is good for miscellaneous when on 50% off sales.

Only thing I will go out of my way for is lumber. If I need nice dimensioned wood I go to locally owned lumber yards.
>>
>>1193821
I can't look at anything Wera anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8h7ELeEFIk
>>
>>1193812
Does anyone know of any bits (Robinson / Torx / etcetera) that don't deform when they jump out of the screw head?

I made a pair of picnic tables, and went through three Robinson bits putting in size 14 wood screws.

Do they intentionally make buts out of what seems to be painted pig iron?
>>
File: IMG_2805.jpg (138KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2805.jpg
138KB, 1000x1000px
>>1193860
Irwin, for all your bits and bits accessories.
>>
File: hwstore.png (1MB, 964x575px) Image search: [Google]
hwstore.png
1MB, 964x575px
>>1193812
there is like 10+ hardware stores in my city, and i go where the price is the lowest or have what i want
we do have supermarkets(obi and other shiat) but the tools offer is dog shit and ofthen overprised also mostly seling meme brands so i go to a smaler HW store that has proper tools for lover price also like going to a HW in near city that has probably the biggest offer on tools from all the brands and where i buy my wera screw drivers(mostly replacing old demaged ones no name brands i had)
>>
>>1193812
craigslist/ebay/amazon/flee markets for me :^)
>>
There is an ace hardware up the street from me, so I go there because convenience. Most of my tools come from Craigslist or Facebook. I buy them based on projects I have planned, and sell them for what I got them.
>>
>>1193812
garage sales/ estate sales
ebay
>>
I didn't buy my tools. They're just here.
>>
>>1193812
Through a clever combination of coupons, 2nd mkt gift cards, cold hard cash, through HD, Lowes, Tractor Supply, Rural King, Menards, craigslist, ebay, and a few gems from harbor freight.
>>
>>1193860
did you use impact driver?
did you predrill?

ive bought some borscht bits that were on sale and only 2/14 got rounded
>>
>>1193812
>people actually buying cheap tools at a hardware store

If I wanted chinese garbage, id shop at Harbor Freight and get it for half the price.
>>
>>1193860
Using pocket holes?
Ive destroyed mutliple Kreg, Hitachi, and Milwaukee robinson bits putting some small projects together.

I would normally like having bits fail instead of stripping out the screw. But with pocket joints, you cant just use regular robinson bits, you have to buy 4 inch or longer bits. Bit holders dont fit in the pocket holes...
>>
File: self-drilling-screws.jpg (28KB, 600x285px) Image search: [Google]
self-drilling-screws.jpg
28KB, 600x285px
i fucking love thies self drilling screws best ones are the hex
>>
>>1193858
ill take a bunch of drunk polacks making my tools over a bunch of gooks any day of the week.
>>
>>1193901
Frattallone's? (´・ω・`)
>>
>>1193858
>>1194087
This. You fucking disgusting, gook sympathising, cuck, degenerate, motherfucking scum of the earth
>>
>>1193812
http://www.atlas-machinery.com/
>>
>>1194087
Maybe he is referring to the cringy video and not Polacks?
>>
yard ,garage ,estate sales & swap markets mostly for tools. I only go to big box stores for fasteners and what i can't get from around the neighborhood.
>>
>>1193812
>Care to explain why?

I know more about tools than the people trying to sell them to me, and that means I win buying online, at auction, via Craigslist, and at estate sales.

Brick and mortar stores are handy for many things but I save my driving for major items and bulk buys.
>>
>>1193812
Quality....
/end thread
>>
>>1193858
Please explain. I plan on replacing all my basic hand tools with wera over time, and all I see is an overly prepped factory setting and non-consecutive tools.
>They're not American
If an American company were making tools even remotely similar in quality, I'd buy them.
>>
>>1194055
The only advantage of the hex heads are the fact that magnetic torx are hard to come by.
>>
>>1195283
>Non-consecutive
>Non-chinese*
>>
>>1195285
true, if torx were more comon over here i had use it
but hex is fine too, driled a screw in a 2mm steel with no problem
>>
>>1193812
harbor freight
>>
>>1193812
>Care to explain why?
Home Depot
Rona
Lowes
BMR
Canadian Tire (for tools)

All the exact same crap.
>>
>>1195283
>If an American company were making tools even remotely similar in quality, I'd buy them.
Starrett?
>>
>>1194562
You seem triggered. You might want to find a safe space.
>>
>>1195283
Did you even watch the cringey video?
>>
>>1195551
Ignore him, just a guy who hasnt used any premium USA made tools.
Wera honestly isn't any better, and it's just as expensive
>>
generally
b+m: pretty much whatever's nearby. from the ones i've lived near, i prefer osh. i like their selection over home depot's.
online: mcmaster
>>
>>1193812
>unironically
No, I ironically buy my tools at other places, dumbass.
>>
>>1193812
>Where does /diy/ get your tools?

OldMidwestFagHere:
For many years, while I was still a mechanic, I bought +90% of all my tools from either MAC or $NAP-ON. Since I "retired" from that profession and started a new one (finally using my Degree), I buy a lot from Home Depot (since it is close and they carry quality tools) and the rest mostly from Zoro Tools @ zoro.com. Zoro can get most anything (other than Mac/$nappy,Matco) and they have great prices and support.
>>
>>1195663
>expense
If you're an average diyfag used channelocks or stanley shit works just fine.
>>
>>1195285
all Milwaukee brand drive bits at HD are impact rated and magnetized right out of the package.
>>
>>1196860
If you are a smart DIYer you know that old Stanley tools were some of the best hand tools ever made and can be had for pennies on the dollar used. If cost is an issue and you have a few weekend here or there you should check out estate sales. You can find screaming deals on great tools there.
>>
>>1193816
FPBP
>>
>>1193816
This
>>
>>1193812
>DIY
> doesn't make his own tools.

Better start punching trees, my dude.
>>
>>1193812
I over order on HD Supply for work. Gotta do something with the extras, right?
>>
Concrete Construction Supply, American Construction and Franklin Building Supply for 90% of the shit I need
>>
BigMat for minor tools, materials, and consumables. It's close, and has a decent selectio.

Otherwise Amazon.de for electrical tools because warranty/returns.
>>
>>1193812
I'd buy shit from Home Despot, except they never have what I need *and* when they do, somehow it's managed to get fucked up.

>Need set screws, 1/8 inch 4-40's
>$3.99 at Amazon, or $0.49 on Home Depot, Home Depot site to store it is!
>Put in order
>Yay! It's in!
>WTF...they sent it to the store a county over
>Check e-mail receipt, yep, website had it going to store 3 miles from my house, why is it 25 miles away?
>Call store, explain, ask them to transfer, told no
>Manager apologizes, says "Yeah, our website logistics suck, sorry."

Next time, I'll use Amazon.
>>
>>1198970
>need replacement booster fan for HVAC duct
>check Home Depot website
>5 in stock in local store
>go to store
>find the place it should be
>not there
>ask customer service
>they send some guy with a handheld inventory thing
>have to read him the SKU off their computer because he's nearly blind
>he types the SKU into it
>oh we don't have that in stock
>well that's silly, it says you have 5 of them on the website
>well we have millions of items on the website and stuff
>okay then
>I'll never get that half hour back
>implying my time is valuable, waste hours every day shitposting on 4chan
>go to Lowe's
>Lowe's actually had it in stock
>took hours to install the fan because it had to be retrofitted to existing twisting ducts
>I could've been at home shitposting on 4chan
>>
>>1198970
Home Depot Order Fulfillment Associate here (the person in charge of all online orders at the store level); there is nothing wrong with the website's ordering system, the problem is that you were an idiot and didn't read where the order was being sent to during the multiple steps of the ordering process that displayed the name of the fulfilling store.

our website does its best to track your IP address when ordering to determine the closest store to you, but that is hardly an accurate system and ive seen my own home computer think i was shopping near a store on the other side of the country (even worse when shopping on mobile networks). before placing any orders be sure to check that box at the top left of the website that says which store you are shopping at, 20% of the time its probobly wrong. even then every page of the shopping cart and order placement windows will display which store the items are being sent to so you had plenty of chances to make a correction.

once orders are placed you do have a short window to fix errors or cancel it altogether, usually a day or so but often only a couple hours depending on which vendor is handling the order. after that you have to wait until the merchandise has arrived in the store, then call the receiving store and have them cancel the order and return the merchandise to the vendor. we do have ways to transfer merchandise between stores if needed (all associates will lie to you and say we cant but we do) but that process is only available in stock merchandise, not online orders which are considered property of the receiving store alone.
>>
Handed down from generation to generation
All the way to the leader of the Pinkechewa tribe
>>
>>1198950
What do you do?
>>
The only place I'd ever buy from is amazon. Most of my tools are makita. I don't think I've ever bought at a tool at retail price.
>>
>>1199071
Feather niggers are the worst.
>>
>>1199051
No kiddo, I have the confirmation printout that said it was going to store 1112. The delivery went to store 1110. The fact that the managers at both locations said the fulfillment system was shit is really telling.

Hell, the fact that you said the site uses IP tracking is even more telling, as that's one of the worst ways to do geolocation, but I know that's not the issue because I ordered while on a work VPN that's out of Vancouver, WA. I'm in Columbia, SC.

One more thing, I have an online order account for the website. I have my store preferences set and saved. So, unless you're implying that your website overrides the location of a person's preferences based on IP's, then it really tells me that someone at either the fulfillment center or somewhere else along the chain fucked it up. It's that simple.
>>
>>1193812
Harbor freight. It's cheap as shit and I've never had one of their tools break. No point in shopping anywhere else, really.
>>
>>1199405
from my experience after thousands of packages processed through my store, the only reason an online order ended up where it shouldn't have is because the customer wasn't paying attention and didnt change the "shop my store" function and their boxes ended up 25 miles away. a popular one for us is packages accidentally being sent to a large store in South Seattle since a lot of service providers are also based out of that neighborhood.

besides that our logistics system is surprisingly reliable when things arnt being delayed for dumb reasons. the only thing ive ever gotten that was labeled for a completely different store was an s/o Milgard window that got dropped off with the rest of our windows that week.
>>
>>1199438
Sounds like you're a fine craftsman. Harbor freight offers the high precision, durable tools you demand.
>>
>>1194001
>>1193860
Are you talking about square drive bits? If so, they're called Robertson bits. Just trying to stop you looking silly at your local hardware store. If by chance there is a bit I've never heard of (and I would doubt it as I use all kinds of hardware daily for a living) called a "Robinson bit", then I apologise for my stupidity.
>>
>>1198994
Same thing happened to me with a 40" utility sink. Website said 3 were in stock at this particular branch. Drove all the way there, nothing above a 24" in store. Associate gives me some speil about not having enough space. I say "that's fine, just don't list it as being in fucking stock" They offer to order it for me instore, costs $55.00 shipping. "Fuck that" I said. Bought exact same thing from Amazon. Free shipping. Fuck Home Depot!
>>
>>1193812
home depot is for yuppie know-nothings

lowes, motherfucker
>>
>>1199664
Lowe's is generally more expensive and sucks more than home depot. However, I always shop both online before buying because they don't carry all the same brands (lowes has hitachi, home depot has makita etc). Also they both have occasional kickass "one day only" deals on tools where you can get something for like 50% off.
>>
>>1199671
>Lowes is generally more expensive and sucks more than Home Depot
That is completely the opposite here in my town.
>>
HD tools are shit. Power tools are fine what with being mass manufactured and all. Everything else is shit.

Planes, scrapers, files, hammers, axes, chisels, everything that was once or could ever be sharp, don't get here. Calipers, guages, marking tools and anything requiring precision in manufacturing, don't get here. It's all mexican or chinese garbage.

Ebay or amazon from reputable brands (you know, the kind HD never stocks) for those things.
>>
>>1193860
Bit's can't be made TOO sturdy, or they'll destroy the screws and leave you the fuck ass shit job of getting it's broken husk out.

Always predrill, will save you 90% of bit related problems.
>>
>>1200006
>not rocking that Husky lifetime warranty
>>
Menards beats Lowes and Home Depot
>>
>>1200010
are the tools good for the price tho?
>>
Generally get my tools from Home Depot. Harbor Freight, Amazon, Lowes all fill in for other things with my boss special ordering some things through his suppliers.
>>
>>1201490
They are slightly better then harbor freight, if you squint.

>>1200010
The last husky tool I bought wasn't even stamped with the manufacturer. Ain't nobody gonna be claiming anything.

It was a file set btw - 10 ish files for $9. I think I may have overpaid for a tool who's only redeeming value is it hadn't turned to rust yet, but I was desperate.
>>
Yes, I shop mostly at home depot. But Im also a tradesman, not some nigger-rigging home owner picking up tools for a weekend project. You will realize that home depot doesnt carry everything in stock all the time. For instance, farm and fleet stocks 1 handed portable bandsaws in stores as well as the blades--home depot does not. Menards has irwin speedbore bits. The home depot near me does not.

Lowes and Mendards typically have better light fixtures, and the lumber from home depot sucks as well because the wood is often stored out doors.
>>
>>1200008
Only fags and women use screws. Real men use nails.
>>
for one time things, Harbor Freight

otherwise, any hardware store
>>
>>1201690
Irwin is a Lowes brand, you wont find it at Home Depot. they do have milwaukee switchblade bits and Bosch Auger bits that will do pretty much the same thing.
>>
File: Brands.png (717KB, 1120x740px) Image search: [Google]
Brands.png
717KB, 1120x740px
>>1201733
>Irwin is a Lowes brand
Haha, no. Irwin has been around since the 19th century. They are part of Stanley Black & Decker these days. Picture related, upper left corner.

Kobalt is the Lowes house brand. You can buy Irwin in many, many places. Example:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Irwin-Vise-Grip-10-in-Quick-Adjusting-Groovelock-Pliers-2078110/100488495

Irwin pliers sold at Home Depot.
>>
>>1201736
Handy chart, but isn't it missing some brands? For example, I'm pretty sure Bosch also owns skil.
>>
>>1193858
What's wrong with that video you fucking retard?
>>
>>1201800
Bosch owned Skil for a while but it is now a subsidiary of Chevron (HK) ltd, the Chinese subsidiary of the oil company that does a lot of work in power tool manufacturing. they also make Lowe's Kobalt stuff and im sure some others.
>>
>>1193812
Back in the day people.bought shit in a store called Sears,they had this rebrand. Of good tools called craftsman,eventually online shopping killed them.and they sold it to so. Chink lovers
>>
>>1193816
Pretty much this. Once in a while I'll get the tools from Menards if I happen to be picking up material too.
>>
>>1201829
http://www.salon.com/2013/07/18/ayn_rand_killed_sears_partner/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=socialflow
>>
>>1194055
3/8 hex tek screws for everything
>>
>>1193862
Irwin shit is actually really solid.

I live 4 blocks from both Lowes and Homo Depot in either direction, I'll check online to see who has the better tool for the better price. I've been trying to follow some wisdom I've heard when it comes to tools infrequently used:
>buy the Harbor Freight one
>when it breaks, it's time to buy the really nice version from Big Box

I ponied up for Milwaukee cordless tools cuz they were on sale, and I randomly grab items from hd/lowes due to proximity, but I was able to get a table saw and tile saw super cheap at HF and honestly, they'll do me fine. When my skill level reaches a point where I really need some premium features, I'll look into whatever's the nicest shit at the time.

Also cruise yard sales and pawn shops. Good old throwaway 10 dollar drills and saws and shit, you can find nice pre-China Craftsman stuff and other quality tools that now-dead-daddy had in his shed.
>>
>>1199051
Wrong buddy, your site is often out of sync with your inventory. You'd think they use the same database or whatever, but I've been in-store before and they said "yeah our items have been re-arranged but the website doesn't reflect that yet" and we have to go on a crazy witch hunt for the thing. Bin and aisle numbers were totally wrong.
>>
File: 1497805447086.jpg (36KB, 324x354px) Image search: [Google]
1497805447086.jpg
36KB, 324x354px
>>1202077
>Irwin shit is actually really solid.
>>
>>1193812
Snap-on or Mac. Life time warranty.
>>
>>1202079
that has more to do with our Merchandising and Execution Teams not properly re-sequencing the bays after they were reset by vendors, so our own internal systems dont reflect the new location either. also some merchandise is kept in multiple locations, but you as the customer can only see one, so if the location has changed or been eliminated you are completely unaware of the others without using one of our store use phones.

as for inventory management it's all kinds of fucked, believe me. ive hand entire bunks of 12ft Hardiplank go missing because the supplier didnt actually put it on the truck, they just said they did. between improper markdowns, internal and external theft, damaged items, customer orders, multiple shelf locations, multiple overhead storage locations, improperly labeled boxes, vendor's failure to do basic math, shipping problems and the fact that merch becomes part of the inventory as soon as the truck arrives (not when its unloaded) our actual onhand inventory is rarely reflected by what you actually see on the shelf. the one tip i can give you is that the website shows one less than we actually have, so if it has 4 on hand it *thinks* we actually have 5.

even then, be careful on big orders. a couple weeks ago a customer bought 45 of these 8ft fence panels (don't buy then they're shit), and our website said we had three remaining, meaning it thought we had a total of 49 panels. yet our own internal system said we had 33 panels in total, while in reality we only had 31, 2 of which were damaged beyond repair. so all they got for their delivery was 31 panels and they had to sit around a few more days until the next truck came from the distribution center with more panels.
>>
>>1202400
Never noticed those at Homo Depot but now I know where half my backyard fencing is from. I had to ghetto repair one a while ago because the planks started popping out.
>>
Home Depot = Lowes >>>>> everywhere else
>>
>>1193812
>I'm a fan of big box stores ass fucking me with poor prices and cheap ass chinese shit
>i love putting small hardware stores out of business and getting a useless selection of tools and parts that is only on the shelf because it is profitable
want an obscure part you need for something? Sucks to be you, they don't have it and about 90% of what you need because they cater to rich suburban retards build mcmansions.
>please rape my face
>>
>>1193816
this but biggest contributor are pawn shops and yard sales for big stuff like drills or sewing machines, and generally the dollar store for replaceable or consumable parts like heavy cordage or hacksaw blades or w/e. also stuff that doesnt have to be THAT good, like basic clamps or hammers

who tf pays more than 4 dollars for a hammer? seriously its just a piece of metal on a stick
>>
When it comes to hand tools I go to a local surplus store or Home Hardware, for power tools I do my research and buy the tool I want from wherever has the lowest price. Canadian Tire and Princess auto for anything else tool-related that I don't mind rebuying if it breaks
>>
>>1203220
>>i love putting small hardware stores out of business and getting a useless selection of tools and parts that is only on the shelf because it is profitable

Yeah, I do actually. Small hardware stores tend to be stupid expensive in comparison to the big boxes, and if it's something that's even remotely obscure, good fucking luck finding it.

Last time I went to the last remaining independent hardware store in my town, I needed a 4-40 tap. Not a common size, but not rare either. Guy said he didn't have it and offered me a $250 tap and die set with a bunch of shut I didn't need or want. Then he said "Well, I can order it but it'll be three weeks to get in, I only get deliveries on the first Monday of the month."

Amazon got me what I needed in two days, for $6 less than the local guy, and without the hassle.
>>
Got my planer, random orbit sander and newest drill there but little else.

The Rigid brand has taken a huge dump in recent years.

Bought some on CL, more at garage sales and quite a few at Lee Valley
>>
>>1193812
A lot of it is junk. Disposable, soft metal, plastic garbage. That said, I do get things here for cheap projects. I needed a forstner bit and a 10" aluminum cutting miter saw blade that were perfect for home depot. I also grab plywood, 2x4s, pvc, and junk like that. Also got a battery drill and river set on black friday for $99 and I've had it for years and years now for light duty home improvement work.

I got my big Grizzly cabinet saw from a divorce sale. I got a big compressor and a drill press for free from a business that was going under. Got a bunch of nice planes with dull blades from yard sales that I sharpened and got back in good shape. Got a handful of nice screw drivers, hammers, wrenches, and a riveter from a small hardware store.

Depends entirely on what you need, how often you use it, and if you are really poor or not.
>>
>>1203220
All the small hardware stores use DoItBest, or Ace, or TruValue or one of those franchisee names anyways.
They are vastly more expensive while having pretty much the same tools (just a smaller selection of them)

This isnt the 50s where you would walk into a hardware store and then have them order you a tool out of a mail order magazine.

The got snuffed out because they cant compete
>>
>>1203515
>who tf pays more than 4 dollars for a hammer?
people who have to use them daily
>not having a titanium hammer
>2014
>>
>>1204436
fuck I forgot its 2017 but the point would of still been applicable in 2014. Good night.
>>
>>1204346
Not all, just the lazy sort.

My favorite local hardware store welcomed a Lowes next door and a Walmart behind him. He already thrived despite multiple Ace franchises because he provides superb service and carries a variety few stores stock, including more plumbing parts, well and pump parts, and a room devoted to multiple companies fastener bins.

His parking lot stays full including many contractors who know he's got what they want.
Thread posts: 99
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.