[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mini fridge meat box

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: mini-fridge-midea-new.jpg (123KB, 630x420px) Image search: [Google]
mini-fridge-midea-new.jpg
123KB, 630x420px
I'm looking to make some cured meats and I remember watching a video that a guy said he turned a mini fridge into a controlled environment for curing meats. I've searched and can't find people doing this, except using wine fridges. My current fridge hovers around 43F on the lowest setting and I need it to be around 60F. How could I keep it that high consistently?
>>
If 43 is the lowest setting on your mini fridge I imagine it would hover around 50 on the highest. Do you know if it is frost free? The only theoretical way would be to build a new thermostat that keeps it around 60. However this would most likely be a waste of time and money, would look ugly, and most likely get in the way of your meats.
>>
>>1193704
Basically, find a controller that runs the compressor only when temps reach 65, and shuts off at 60. It's not hard to make one.

Find a digital controller that will do this, and provide 12-24V when temp is too high. Then, that 24V will power a relay that activates the compressor.

The compressor doesn't care what temp it cools to, Ann that matters is that it runs when it should and stops when it should. You just need the middleman controller. A DIY option is easy. I'm sure you can also buy a temp controller.
>>
>>1193708
You would have to bypass the thermostat though, or keep the fridge unplugged and let the controller be the main source of power. You'd also have to find a way to monitor inside temps the the controller knows when to tell the compressor to kick on and off.
>>
A temp sensor with an aurduino would actually be a good fix for this provided you could run a relay with it... just put the relay where the cold control is wired and it'll control the compressor operation... I would strongly consider wiring the evaporator fan if it has one so that it's always on... this will keep the air in the unit circulating and give more consistent temps at the cost of efficiency.. which you probably don't care about... also if the evaporator starts building ice for whatever reason while your running it then keeping the evaporator fan on while the compressor is off will help defrost it since the compartment is above freezing.. off cycle defrost and whatnot... if you use a thermister then put it in a glass of water for some thermal mass or work out what cut off temp gives you enough cooling so that you don't cycle it on and off every 20 minutes... alternatively turn the existing cold control to the coldest setting then plug it into a holiday lights timer and experiment with run times till you find an on/off cycle that results in the temperature you actually want...
>>
>>1193710
OK, everything you said is exactly what I said. Of course you remove the original controller. Controlling incoming power is what the relay does.
A controller has a temp sensor, or else it's not a controller.
>>
>>1193728
Sorry, I didn't understand how you meant that. Ive always called them thermostats or cold controls.
>>
>>1193704
>cured meats
cured with what?
>>
>>1193767
Salt and seasonings. You ever have prosciutto or salami? Those are cured meats. They haven't been cooked. The salt kills the bad bacteria.
>>
OP I don't know if this will work but I just read this guy's guide on dry aging beef using the setup you described. http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/03/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-dry-aging-beef-at-home.html
>>
File: 20170615_100511.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170615_100511.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>1193723
>>1193728
Thanks for the info. This is going to require a lot more research and effort than originally thought.

>>1193990
I've actually already been doing this. I'm not using a fan and I'm only aging 7-10 days.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.