[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cordless battery

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: FJZIHMDUQBEP27ZHU7.MEDIUM.jpg (31KB, 451x342px) Image search: [Google]
FJZIHMDUQBEP27ZHU7.MEDIUM.jpg
31KB, 451x342px
First time building a cordless battery
Would soldering work to attach the cells?
Should I sand before soldering?
>>
>>1192545
You can solder cells but the heat will hurt the batteries bad enough I don't do it. I have no studies to back up my claim but I've done it before and with NiCd cells soldering seems to half their life. If you still want to do it don't sand them, take a knife or file and score the hell out of the area. Tin the area, cool it quickly (like with an ice cube), tin your connector then solder them together cooling it asap.

I use a home made capacitance welder now. 1000% better and faster.
>>
You just have to work fast, it'll be alright. Don't attempt to build a capacitance welder and very possibly burn down your house before you have destroyed at least a couple batteries
>>
>>1192545
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4aW_i-EAoc

think this guy has a whole series on renewing a battery pack - this is #4 (out of 5) - probably longer than the Bible, but easier than typing 'GO FAST OR HEAT SENSITIVE CELL BE FUCKED' - Id also advise (from experience) not just trying to wing it, it wont work. A spot welder be better, and if you going the homemade youtube variant, you dont need to use fucking 60 amp car batteries and shit.
>>1192561
>home made capacitance welder
maybe, this anon be nice, and post you a few details ;)
>>
File: IMG_20170612_221913692.jpg (928KB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170612_221913692.jpg
928KB, 2592x1456px
>>1192594
Sure. System is dead simple. It's a car audio cap I got for free at a drop and swap, some high count stranded 8 awg (makes it easier to bend) and two short pieces of solid 6 awg bare copper.
>>
File: IMG_20170612_222031383.jpg (1MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170612_222031383.jpg
1MB, 2592x1456px
I bent the 6 awg copper into what looks like candy canes and soldiered the stranded 8 to it. The bend gives me something to hold. Wrapped both with electrical tape cept the ends that got filed to blunt points. The wires goes to the cap which is charged to whatever level needed for the tab thickness. I use 14v - 16v for thin tabs and 20v+ for thicker tabs.
>>
File: IMG_20170612_222257499.jpg (902KB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170612_222257499.jpg
902KB, 2592x1456px
Welding is simple too. Put the tab on the battery and hold it in place with the negative lead. Touch the positive to another spot and it welds. To weld on tabs takes literally under 5 seconds.

pic related
>>
>>1192545
>2017
>Not using codless batteries
>>
>>1192635
neat
>>
>>1192633
That's fantastic anon.
>>
>>1192634
BRUH. i been kooking at $300 tab welders. Thank u for this.
Any experience with them? Is this just as good?
>>
>>1192897
I have. The biggest functional difference between my system and commercial units is that they have a big (or multiple small) SCR's and control the current pulse with a button where my system is a bit more barbaric.

Originally I was going to buy a large SCR for it but after using it without found I did't need to buy an $80 part. If I was going to spend money upgrading any part of it it'd be another cap. To weld thicker tabs I have to run higher voltage which can lead to charing the tabs. Low voltage high amperage is the way to weld and I'm limited to 2f (closer to .5 real farad) atm.
>>
>>1192936
I see. Well good work at any rate. Shit is beyond me so i might just shell out for a good one. I spent a fortune on nickle craftsman shit and have like 20 batteries that need converted.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.