[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Current code for 20amp outlets in home

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

Hey /diy/, I had an outlet spark on me today so I went to replace it, only to learn all the outlets inside my recently-purchased house are on 20amp circuits but every wall outlet is actually a 15amp.

The house was built in 1986 so maybe this wasn't a code violation at the time, but it seems wrong to me. Should I replace every outlet with a 20amp now? They seem to be a ripoff as all I can find is $6 per tamper-resistant outlet, and the standard 15 amp ones are only like $1.50.

What should I do?
>>
a little 5-amp difference isnt worth worrying about. just ignore it. if you're autistic enough to care, just figure out which is cheaper, replacing the breakers or the outlets. i'd choose the breakers, coz that deescalates any hypothetical dangers.
>>
>>1192387
>but it seems wrong to me
please explain why you think that way
>>
>>1192387
>all the outlets inside my recently-purchased house
obviously a trailer

20 amp receptacles are able to receive a 20 amp plug (the horizontal notch), its ok but a home inspector should've caught that & had receps changed back to 15a recepts (no horizontal notch)

any other answer is bullshit
>>
>>1192387
How did you determine the circuit's 20A? Breaker size, or is the wiring appropriately sized as well?

I would leave interior outlets as the cheapo 15A ones. No reason to spend the money on the 20A's.
Garage/shop is a different story, but again, make sure the entire circuit is appropriate (breaker, wiring, and outlets).
>>
>>1192387
>The house was built in 1986 so maybe this wasn't a code violation at the time
It wasn't.
It was perfectly legal to use "15 amp" outlets on a twenty amp circuit.
They can actually handle twenty amps, they just don't have the horizontal notch.
Unless you have a plug with a horizontal tab, don't bother changing anything, it's fine.
>>
>>1192444
p.s., AFAIK it's still legal, I just haven't been an electrician since the 90's.
>>
>>1192439
The breaker is 20 amp and there's 12 guage wire into the outlet.

>>1192400
I'm not an electrician, so I assumed the internal wiring of the switch isn't capable of handling anything over 15 amp and could be a fire hazard if someone did plug something between 15 and 20 amp into it.
>>
>>1192446
>"15 amp" outlets on a twenty amp circuit.
Still legal on multi-outlet circuits.

A 20 Amp outlet should be on a dedicated 20 amp circuit.
>>
>>1192579
The 'circuit' is capable of 20 amps. Meaning whatever you plug into those outlets on that circuit cannot exceed 20 amps TOTAL or it'll trip. The 15 amp outlet is perfectly fine for a 20 amp circuit
>>
>>1192579
>could be a fire hazard if someone did plug something between 15 and 20 amp
20A devices will have a 20A plug which won't fit the 15A socket.
>nothing to worry about
>>
>>1192387
if the breaker is 20 amp and the wire is 20 amp then the outlet should be 20 amp
>>
File: 15a outlets on 20a circuit.png (31KB, 805x377px) Image search: [Google]
15a outlets on 20a circuit.png
31KB, 805x377px
>>1194288
>>
File: NEC - 20a circuits.png (88KB, 969x681px) Image search: [Google]
NEC - 20a circuits.png
88KB, 969x681px
National Electrical Code
>>
>>1192444
This is the only correct answer. 15amp outlets have a 20amp pass through rating. Op you know just enough about electric to make yourself dangerous do stop while your ahead. 12g wire is good for 20amps. Only need 20amp receps for certain equipment like pumps.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.