[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

House building

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

File: maxresdefault(5).jpg (796KB, 3000x2250px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault(5).jpg
796KB, 3000x2250px
How hard is building a house for someone with little to no experience? Ive done some brick laying before although not very good, but I'm thinking more likely a wood frame house? Would you hire some guy and then work under their command or something like that? Single storey seems slightly easy but two story then becomes crazy because of structure and support. Idk tell me about your experiences
>>
Start out by building a shed, but do everything you would for a house. Follow building code to the letter. Insulate. Put in drywall. Practice roofing. Once you've done that, you can do it again but bigger.
>>
>>1192278
Its heaps fucking easy, which is why everyone does it. A cunt as dumb as you will certainly have no problems.
>>
Also interested in this. Anyone have some good resources? Would you say adding a small guest house that has a bathroom and small kitchen would be best instead of just a shed?
>>1192284
>>
File: garage.jpg (4MB, 3570x5408px) Image search: [Google]
garage.jpg
4MB, 3570x5408px
>>1192278
You could do a simple ICF house yourself. Pour footer. Stack block. Place rebar. install window and door bucks. Brace properly and pour using pump truck. I built this ICF barn myself with the help of a lot of friends and beer.
>>
>>1192326
>ICF
The best building method IMO.
How did you get the metal ridge beam up there? Crane rental cost? Number of helpers?
>>
>>1192289
This.

Not building your own house? What a moron.
>>
>>1192340
>How did you get the metal ridge beam up there?
Ancient aliens.
>>
>>1192326
>ICF house
Wouldn't a full foundation slab be better than just footing?
>>
>>1192278
>>1192289
>>1192324
>>1192326
>>1192352
I'm building a house at the moment with no prior construction experience. I have learnt the following:

A good professional as your consultant is required. Over here a construction needs someone who is in charge. If you are experienced you can have someone to just sign shit off. We hired a guy and it was the right guy. I ask him questions via WhatsApp with pictures and he tells me what to do.

Shit is expensive. More than I thought.

Building yourself is slower than expected.

Building isn't that hard, it's just a Lot if work.

Building is measuring. Constant measuring.

It's stressful. You have all control which makes this. But it also feels good.

Would do again.
>>
>>1192340
I actually put two beams in there. The ridge was going to be a laminated beam (I wanted clear span roof for the attic loft). I wanted a steel beam to support the back of the loft so I could hang a trolley and chain hoist from it. Once I needed one stell beam delivered and craned into place it became economical to do two.
>>
>>1192375
Not with ICF. Lot of weight in those walls. If it was a house, i would have built walls on footers then ran a loop of tubing in the concrete floor for radiant heat. As it is, that building never has got below freezing in three North East Ohio winters. I insulated the roof with double foil foam stapled between the rafters and sealed soffit to ridge vent.
>>
File: HPIM2547.jpg (55KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
HPIM2547.jpg
55KB, 640x480px
>>1192379
>>
>>1192381
Beside pouring the floor against the ICF walls preserves your thermal break. If you stacked ICF on top of a poured frost wall/slab you wouldn't have the same thermal barrier.
>>
>>1192376
>I'm building a house at the moment with no prior construction experience.

You're either a liar, vain and or it's going to be sub par.

I know a lot of very experienced tradesmen that could make a decent house but none would be foolish enough to do it all or try it all if they want a quality end result.

I think what you're building is more of a garden shed than a house.

The labour intensity alone would warrant more experience than drive just to ensure it doesn't fall apart as far as developments go.
>>
File: HR011531.jpg (776KB, 2176x1632px) Image search: [Google]
HR011531.jpg
776KB, 2176x1632px
>>1192326
Or you could go really big anon.
>>
>>1192899
thats big? i think that would be about the size of my current house. id never actually heard of icf before, it seems kind of interesting. i wonder why its not so popular
>>
File: Capture.jpg (153KB, 936x887px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
153KB, 936x887px
>>1192906
I worked on that house as part of the ICF crew. It was pretty big. That's the basement. Went up two more floors. I forget the sq footage but it ended up pretty big for around here. The detached garage is ICF too with a guest suite above.
>>
>>1192906
Because trade people need to be dragged kicking and screaming into new technology. The ICF houses I have worked on were because the owner demanded it for usually heating and cooling efficiency. We have had customers interested in the security aspect too. Can use it footer to gables and eaves in what ever size house you want. Just need to find a progressive architect.
>>
>>1192921
jesus thats huge, puts any structural worries i had aside. it seems to be like fast bricks almost

>>1192923
the heating point might actually be my reason for going it then, i have some land in Alaska, which has nothing on it (which is why i asked the question in the first place) so that might be a good point for saving money and the environment in the long run.
>can use it footer to gables and eaves
what does this mean?
>>
>>1192925
The R value of ICF is substantial. SIPS panels are good too. But the structural strength with ICF coupled with the R value and the ease of installation make it a no brainer as far as I'm concerned. By footer to gable I mean you can use ICF for 100% of the exterior walls and basement or foundation. In Alaska you have earthquakes to worry about. An ICF house would be a concrete boat.
>>
>>1192402
Might be all of those.
But in reality this is the traditional way of doing shit. Yourself. "Building one's home self" even has a idiomatic expression.
Anyway, it's actually a 260m^2 house il building.
The truth is that construction isn't really that hard. It's labour intensive. I have a professional supervising the build and this one is mandatory. Can't stress this enough you need someone to look after you!
We need the following plans:
1. Architectural drawings.
2. From 1. a structural engineer draws the structural plans.
3. Heating, water and ventilation plans. These are again drawn on 1.

Yiu don't need electrical plans but all electrical installations must be made by a licensed electrician. Doesn't mean I'm not going to make plans, and a map.

Pic related is our floor. Freshly installed.
>>
>>1192376
This so much.

I've only done my roof(a complex one) and noticed all these points.

>>1192402
Dumbass.
>>
>>1193283
Where I live, if you go and pass the NEC test (and pay fifty dollars) you can do any electrical work yourself. Otherwise, the only way to get final inspection is through a licensed contractor.
>>
>>1192906
> i wonder why its not so popular

It's more expensive material wise then traditional building.
>>
>>1193359
Indeed. However, you will recover the cost in as little as 10 years with reduced heating and cooling expense. Not a short term building alternative. You choose it for the long run.
>>
>>1193364

I talked to somebody who sold these things and he never said anything about gaining it back. Probably because any approved building method in Europe now has to hold up to strict standards and be almost energy neutral. Building material is irrelevant, the end result has to be superinsulated.

The seller said the main point was the speed and ease at wich a DIY guy could build his own house. And I believe him.

Hell, if you're still renting while building, you can recuperate the costs in the rent you wont have to pay because you can get in your house sooner.

Also, it's basically lego and your strenght comes from concrete provided from a company, if you're doing brick work yourself and you screw up you're fucked.
>>
>>1193283
Ok. What kind of house is coming? Oletan että Suomessa on.
>>
>>1192326
How did you install the siding? I have a concrete block house that I want to put siding on.
>>
>>1193797
ICF block have the furring molded into the styrofoam every eight inches. Siding attached directly to the block with stainless washer head screws and drywall went on inside using conventional drywall screws.
>>
>>1192326
>barn
i'd live in that, desu
>>
>>1194208
it would be pretty terrible living unless you spent more on making it a house (inulsation, plumping electricity etc)
>>
>>1194526
>Plumping? Tank that over to /b/
>>
>>1194577
what?
>>
>>1193797
On traditional block buildings i would use 1.5x1 PT strips with a T-nailer every 16 in. and a run along the bottom and top. I guess you could tapcon screw it on. XD
>>
>>1193635
A bit odd.

Joko langassa pyörii tuttu tai ovela kun keksit oikean maan.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.