[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ceiling bullshit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: 4L_ppXDntVd.jpg (145KB, 1152x768px) Image search: [Google]
4L_ppXDntVd.jpg
145KB, 1152x768px
When I first purchased the house 5 years ago, the paint on the ceiling was literally flaking off in certain areas and patches. It's a smooth ceiling with smooth paint, and was only one or two layers think, so not very thick paint at all. It was very brittle though, and shattered pretty easily when scraping off. Underneath the paint I scraped was bare plaster, and that was relatively clean.

Anyway, the spots of paint flake I scraped off everything loose I could easily, without going too far into virgin paint. Once I scraped all the loose stuff away, I sanded the surface a bit and then joint compounded it smooth (well, as smooth as I could apparently get it, which wasn't very smooth at all unfortunately. Maybe the Joint Compound shrunk). Next step was to paint over everything with some nice high quality ceiling paint.
Pics related are years later, the edges around the old paint are "bubbling off" under the new coat. Nothing is physically loose, but it looks like if I touch it with something hard it will start crumbling down. Anyone know of a good fix for this?
>>
File: IMG_8365.jpg (97KB, 1152x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8365.jpg
97KB, 1152x768px
View 2
>>
You wrote too much, I won't help you.
>>
File: IMG_8367.jpg (122KB, 1152x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8367.jpg
122KB, 1152x768px
And 3
>>
>>1192240
What he said, give us a quick rundown.
>>
>>1192245
>old house
>plaster ceilings
>previous owner painted them
>I buy house
>paint is peeling and cracking on ceiling
>I scrape off loose shit and joint compound the holes
>I paint ceiling fresh
>wait 3 years
>starts bubbling and looking like total shit, pics related
>WAT DO

Scape off and repaint again?
Drywall over it all?
Smooth it out with joint compound and paint?
>>
Have you tried checking for a very small intermittent leak?
>>
>>1192268
It's not just this one spot actually, it's pervasive over a very large area, spotty like this. Only a bedroom directly above, so no leaks to be heard of.

>something to do with moisture in the paint or adhesion or something?? Oils??
>>
>>1192276
Does it seem to start in summer ?

Could be air conditioner line forming condensation in your joists ?
>>
>>1192266
My front door did that, its something to do with old paint, don't know why it does that. I sanded the door and painted it (had just scraped it before) and that fixed it. Don't know what you should do about an entire ceiling.
>>
>>1192286
Nothing in the joists, just wood and air, house was built in the 30's
>>
1) Did you prime the area before applying mud and paint? Blistering can be caused by a whole motherload of factors, (humidty, new paint acting like a stripper to the old paint especially going latex over oil, weather causing shrinkage and expansion in the material underneath the paint, etc... ) but if you didn't prep the area with primer that was your first fuck up.

2) This is a critique of you mudding technique. It's shit. It looks like you use a small blade and then never went back and did the proper sanding of the mud. If your doing mudding always use the big blade, do multiple thin coats, and then sand the shit after done. You can use a wet sanding block, if your going for a baby smooth transition. Always let the mudding compound completely dry.

3) I'd suggest doing a scrape, remud and paint. If it pops up again, than go for the drastic measures.
>>
>>1192339
All three items

>1 I fucked up
>2 I agree, and yes I did exactly what you said. It was rough because all I had was a tiny wet cloth and a small blade, and I was lazy.
>3 agree, will need to try fixing. Awesome.

Thanks for the beat down
>>
>>1192339
PS - how would you fix the blistering? Take a box cutter all around the blisters plus half an inch and scrape all the shit down to the cut line?
>>
>>1192360
We usually cut it to about an inch away, but yeah you got the gist. Cut the fucker out, scrape, make sure there's no bubbling around the edges, Prime, make sure there's no bubbling around the edges, Do the finish work, and then paint.

Once again this is no guarantee. Old paint can act really hinkie when interacting with new shit. Let alone weather/ humidity in your area can cause all sorts of ass pain.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.