[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Carpenter

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5

File: female-carpenter.jpg (146KB, 620x349px) Image search: [Google]
female-carpenter.jpg
146KB, 620x349px
Before everybody freaks out, i come in peace

I need honest and actual advice, i'm dead serious.
Here's my story: I'm 25 year old, finishing studies in Biochemistry, small frame girl and a heart patient. I want to start a new hobby that can evolve into a career. So my question is what are the odds and probabilities that i can do it and become a carpenter? Is it physically demanding? Because i can't lift heavy objects and i get tired very fast because my blood pressure is low from taking beta blockers for my heart defect i was born with. I get so inspired viewing modern furniture and i think i can do neat designs etc.. But I have no actual idea how hard is it on your health and physical well being. So I want to hear from people who do this kind of work their experiences and advice
tl;dr
>I want to design and build furniture but i'm afraid i won't be able to due to my physical condition being a small woman with heart defect
No, it's not a bait, be nice for once
>>
>>1192232
I suppose you could have the lumber yard cut whatever wood you select into manageable pieces, but you still need to lift some stuff. Whether you can do it as a career depends more on your skill, creativity and work ethic than heavy lifting, but i don't know where your limits are, practically, so can't say anything for certain.

Any handicraft is demanding in some aspects, but if you can lift 30-40 lbs without problem, you might be fine, I guess? I dunno.
>>
>>1192233
>40 lbs
i don't know i get tired from taking 11 lbs water jug from the store home :/
i have no knowledge on anything but i'm a fast learner and very passionate about it
>>
It's not the job for you, there is a fuck ton of lifting. Although you could probably get a job still, most companies don't check shit. Although wouldn't recommend, stick to wood working.
>>
It's not my career but I started doing bits as a hobby. As I work in mechanical engineering I already had a good base knowledge of the basics if you like along with too use and maintenance. I found Matthias Wandels channel on YouTube a great help and inspiration. Finish carpentry Would be an ideal trade for you if you wanted to go into construction. Making things for cash can be an okay sideline but not a massively well paying career unless you can make things quick and cheap that people will overspend on.

Plenty options with wood; second did carpentry is definitely an easier less labour intensive job though.
>>
>>1192251
Second fix***

And when I say easier I don't mean skill wise I mean on the body.
>>
>>1192249
Try making and selling furniture as a hobby but not your main job, if it makes you money then maybe start your own business. Self employed means no problems. I just don't think you should for a company, your heart will come into play. But at home it's not a problem.
>>
I can say as I'm learning a furniture trade for a living that you will no doubt have to lift heavy things at some point, even with 2 people it can be hard work moving things around.
the actual making process sure, anyone can learn some skills and make something cool.
also if you do design furniture make sure you can take it apart after putting it together, you won't believe how many things need restoring after many years of use.
>>
>>1192232
What you want to do is 100% possible.

The key is to approach problems in a way that suits your ability.
It's a vague answer to a complicated question but thats pretty much it.

Your best course of action is to find someone local who is doing the work you want to do.
That whay you will get an idea of what is involved.
>>
>>1192232

No way. No one will hire someone enfeebled witha heart defect. You won't be able to keep up and will probably die, most construction carpentry is very physically demanding. If you want to build furniture learn design. But even then using power tools is physically demanding and wood is heavy. This trade is not for you, at all, unless you sit behind a desk.
>>
>>1192232
>I want to design and build furniture but i'm afraid i won't be able to due to my physical condition being a small woman with heart defect
make small furnitures for kids, that shit might make you rich
>>
>>1192232
I would say no, but you're a woman with a sad story, some whitenight or sugar daddy will hire you on.
>>
>>1192279
>whitenight
it is wight night you fool
>>
>>1192280
It's A. Wyatt Nite. It's his name.
>>
>>1192232
Atrial septal defect?

First, let's be clear. Carpentry and woodworking (furniture) are two different things. Carpenters build structures that house people and equipment. Woodworkers build things that are contained in those structures.

You can definitely do woodworking as a small, weak person. You'll be limited on the types of furniture you can build easily without a shop hand to manipulate bulky table tops and other parts, but it can be done.

Little old men (and women) the world over take up woodworking in their twilight years all the time. The tools do most of the work. If you work safely and wear your PPE, it's not a risky thing to do occupationally.

Having worked as an upholstery shop hand, you need physical strength to work with upholstery, but the shop owner I worked with was a 60 year old woman. With upholstery, it's more important that you can skillfully operate a sewing machine, and be conversant in furniture construction and assembly techniques if you have a hand around the shop.
>>
>>1192299

Short answer: No. Unless you are in some symbiotic relationship like George and Lenny or Master Blaster with a hulking retard man child willing to do all the physical labor for you. And if you were, I'd only pay the wages for the hulking brute because fuck you.
>>
>>1192275
Not all carpentry is building houses.

Shit like chairs and coffee tables aren't heavy until assembly.

Finely finished custom furniture can be is a slow process.

Powertools arent that heavy either. Older electrics give you a workout through vibration, but on the other hand Pneumatic tools are light and very low vibration.
Modern electric like Festool and Fein are also low vibration.

Learning design is a good idea too.
>>
>>1192232
before this thread get's carried away I might drop my .02 cents.

Look at his videos and judge yourself how much you could do on your own.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrK9ValzlE8
He also gives some nice insight to making furniture.
I would start it as a side business and see how it develops and depending on your equipment/machinery/skill level.
I would recommend some type of winch.
Woodworking has differnt paths. One being construction, another furniture and another artsy stuff. For example here in Germany we have the very uncommon profession of mask carving.
It's all about finding a niche.
Work a job which gets you started in your field. Save money for a rainy day and tools.

Here enjoy a german song about wood.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjXUBG15eZ8
yes we do have humour;)
>>
>>1192237
Why not get your own reverse osmosis system? Costs more upfront, but cheaper long term, and all you need to do is change filters once a year.
>>
>>1192329
Never mind, I just remembered most people don't use much plain water.
>>
>>1192275
>No way. No one will hire someone enfeebled witha heart defect

They'd be liable for a lot more to refuse than to just hire someone with the amount of anti discrimination laws about these days.
>>
If you're really passionate you wouldn't give a fuck and you'd make it work. You ever hear of something called pulleys? get the wood delivered to your place, setup a pulley system or some sort of lifts for your piece. each individual board won't be heavy, but once you put em all together they will be. you wont be able to move a dining table alone so setup a pulley system to help you out.

I did the same in my garage except i use chains and steel beams so i can lift engines and even entire front or rear of cars to work on. after 3 years its holding up strong, only use on it most weekends though. now i dont need anyone to help me do anything. takes a lot longer but it still gets done.
>>
make furniture, which as has been said, doesnt get too heavy until the last stages. though some items(large coffee table, dressers, etc) will always pose issues where it sounds like you'll need a plan.

that said, make some shit and then sell yourself and your background story on your heart condition(maybe play it up a little) on instagram/pinterest/facebook and make an etsy and go from there. whatever you make, the simple odds are someone else is making something similar and probably at a lower cost, but people(or stupid ones that will overspend on furniture) like to buy stuff that has a story behind it.

short version; you can probably do it on small scale, just pimp your heart condition to gain attention through various social media things
>>
>>1192302
Yeah it is tho the trade that built furniture is called a cabinetmaker
>>
File: 20170611_191134.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170611_191134.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>1192232
Just depends on your projects, You can make a hell of a good profit on shit like end tables, boxes, shit like that that is smaller but needs skilled labor. Especially if you find a market that enjoys a niche, like my coffee and dining room tables are both made with no hardware. Some people want that and will pay extra. Also adding things like inlay will drive up price significantly but aren't physically intensive at all. Hell you're working with 1/8th in material.

Here's my first attempt at inlay, it's not even half as bad as it looks, especially to people who don't work with wood.
>>
File: e9d.jpg (16KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
e9d.jpg
16KB, 600x600px
>>
File: cow-from-behind.jpg (75KB, 500x884px) Image search: [Google]
cow-from-behind.jpg
75KB, 500x884px
>>1192232
>wants to get into on of the most labor intensive occupations possible
>frail female with a heart condition and an actual education

savage
>>
>>1192232
i think you should immediately start picking up carpentry and building tips from consummate professionals on youtube, like EC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM6JeKRwVhg
>>
>>1192404

nice. were those inlays cnc'd routered or done by hand? would you describe the process in detail?
>>
>>1192451
Done by hand.

I followed this tutorial to a T more or less.

https://youtu.be/U3Q58SKDAEA

The only thing I did different was that I did the sand shading prior to the marking and routing steps. I would have hated to have a hole in my work then fuck the piece up in shading and then try and duplicate that piece to the already routed hole.
>>
>>1192451
Sorry, misunderstood, done with a router.
>>
>>1192449
EC = Extra Comfy
I never see anyone posting his channel in the YouTube kino threads.
>>
>>1192232
You could never be a carpenter with the conditions you listed. Plus, unless you're ugly as fucking sin, you'll be sexually harassed and hit on every hour you're on a job site. Especially if there's fucking Mexicans on the job (protip: sheetrockers are all Mexican). That being said, you can still work wood as a hobby. My advice would be to either whittle wood into little animals or "folk art" pieces; get a feel for the wood, how you can manipulate, the feel of the tools in your hand, and your own artistry. If you want to draw inspiration from your biochemist past, you could draw chemical compounds on a piece of old barnwood or something and get a router and route out the negative space or something. Then you could sell your stuff at craft fairs or to an interior designer or etsy or whatever.

Sky is the limit, but don't do construction.
>>
>>1192232
It depends on your woodworking. There are some people who do bowls who make it a career. Those bowls are gorgeous. generally lifting 10-15 lbs and mounting in the lathe are the majority of it.
If you already have a heart defect, be very careful about dust from certain woods, especially exotic hardwoods. I've heard stories of people carving (not sanding) acacia and having an allergic reaction. Walnut is also well known to affect some people negatively. I think something like 20% of woodworkers end up medically retired with respiratory issues?

small decorative boxes can be fairly good.

Be aware that unless you become regionally known or end up doing a shop and mass producing a popular design for a high end chain, you will not make a significant amount of money. Most "successful" woodworkers struggle to consistently make >$20/hr when you include marketing time, shop expenses, consulting with clients, etc.
If you get really good at a niche, you can make a lot. Wood sculptures go for art prices, several hundred dollars.
Remember if you switch from "hobby" to "business", homeowners insurance wont cover you.

Remember, at minimum, you will have to lift the furniture you are making.
So if you make a table, you will have to be able to pick it up and put it on a dolly and move it to your car and setup at a craft store, or help someone else load it on their car if you list on craigslist.
You can dodge some of this with good design, eg doing inset leaf table means that you can get an 8 ft table is split into 60 lbs on the table and 4 20 lb leaf inserts so you can move them seperately, instead of trying to shift a 140lb table.
If you are interested in design more than craftsmanship, there's a lot of interest in CNC work. a lot of local CNC shops will be happy to run a program if you write one for them, for a nominal fee over the cost of wood.
Alternatively, you can carve animals out of 5lb pieces of firewood, which is fairly low impact.
>>
>>1192508
You'll probably also struggle to find well built power tools for your dimensions. Given the way the market works, most assume a 200lb male, and the "powertools for women" trend generally is shitty and poorly built.
Hand tools you can replace handles with ones sized to you, and because they are cheaper there are more sizes.
>>
>>1192355
nope, unless the employer was a massive idiot
>>
>>1192232

can you do it? sure, can you do it as a career? tough to say, but the odds are stacked against you.

you'd either need ungodly design skills or insane craft to make it a career. the market is minuscule and highly competitive. you're up against people who've been doing it for 30+ years and are either working a second job to pay bills or have a partner who supports them. the absolute vast majority of custom design furniture shops break even on the actual furniture they build, but make money as interior designers or doing casework. casework (cabinetry) is where the real money is at but again, highly competitive.

i'd highly recommend getting a job as an apprentice carpenter in a cabinet or furniture shop. lots of openings as they pay is somewhat low (~15/hr) and the career prospects aren't great.

oh, and the job is very hard on your body. even if you aren't lifting heavy things, you're walking on a concrete floor for 8+ hours a day, pushing tools, bending over to reach things etc.
>>
>>1192299I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Wood working, is in fact, CARPENTRY/Wood working, or as I've recently taken to calling it, CARPENTRY plus Wood working. Wood working is not a trade unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning CARPENTRY system made useful by the CARPENTRY tools, skills and vital system components comprising a full skillset as defined by the American Trades Institute.
Many home /diy/ers run a modified version of the CARPENTRY system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of CARPENTRY which is widely used today is often called Wood working, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the CARPENTRY system, developed by the CARPENTRY Project.
There really is a Wood working, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Wood working is the kernel: the part of the system that allocates your skills to the other projects that you run. The kernel is an essential part of a system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete system. Wood working is normally used in combination with the CARPENTRY system: the whole system is basically CARPENTRY with Wood working added, or CARPENTRY/Wood working. All the so-called Wood working distributions are really distributions of CARPENTRY/Wood working!
>>
>>1192232

hey op. you can do it :)
go for it, adapt it to your needs, enjoy ;)
>>
>>1192878
Don't you have a chinkpad to be bricking /g/? Scoot.
>>
I'm sure there's a joke here about unleashing beavers in woodshops, but im drunk and OP seems legit. Godspeed.
>>
>>1192232
I'm a 6 ft 22 year old that only weighs 50kgs, never stopped me from being a machinist and doing what I love
>>
>>1192232

You'll never pull it off. I'm 6'4", 225 lbs of shredded muscle and even I get tired from a full day of physical labor in carpentry.

Simply put, men have different bone density, shoulder/hip structure, etc which make them better suited for these types of tasks. Sometimes even I have trouble in certain positions lifting or carrying things I need to, mainly because I'm packing 9 girthy inches though.

You're better off keeping it as a hobby and having your man do they heaving lifting when it's needed.
>>
>>1192251
Problem is you'd better come to apply with mad skills, otherwise you will be expected to start with framing, which you obv can't do.
>>
>>1192232
Wood turning, lathe work, burl bowls..
>>
>>1192232
As another anon said, what you want is Cabinet Maker/Furniture Maker. Not Carpenter.
Best of luck.
>>
make violins/musical instruments.

small, lightweight, intricately detailed.
>>
>>1192232
>>1192232
Commercial carpentry is fucking awful. As a hobby it's very fun but goddamn if you don't mind spending your days on a hot roof with a bunch of beaners go for it
>>
>>1193225
How would you market them or being good gets you an employer? Elaborate
>>
>>1192237
Just a stray opinion from a /fit/ guy - have you considered a lifting regime? My gf gets tired really quickly (she can barely run 1 km), but she can manage to lift weights. It's less about endurance, more about putting in a fair of effort in a short amount of time.

It doesn't take very long to start making appreciable strength gains, and that strength would help you learn carpentry / carry water home / live life.
>>
Don't you have a bf / husband / beta orbiter to help you with the heavy work? I'd love for my girl to get into carpentry, and would gladly help her.
>>
Residential carpenter: Not a chance
Cabinet shop carpenter: Not likely
Finish carpenter: Possibly
Woodworker: Maybe with small projects

Residential carpentry would require you to move a lot of lumber around, especially starting off when that is all the journeymen carpenters trust you to not fuck up. Finish carpentry you could probably do fine installing trim, but if you have a job that requires you to make built-ins or make cabinetry in the field you would likely have to be able to work with full plywood or MDF sheets, which would be true in a cabinet shop as well. Woodworking would be your best shot, but its also going to take the most skill and attention to detail, but its also the only option I listed that I could see starting as a hobby.

I had a couple girls in my carpentry class at trade school who could build circles around some of the guys in my class and could cut perfect stair stringers, rafters and were great at reading blueprints, but just couldnt be as productive as some dipshit that could throw around sheets of plywood and 2x12's.
>>
>>1192232
>small frame girl
>heart defect
nope
You'll need to massively increase your strength to pull it off, and even if you do, your heart will kneecap your endurance
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.