[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Attic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: House.jpg (220KB, 600x402px) Image search: [Google]
House.jpg
220KB, 600x402px
Lets talk attics. It is summer now and that means DIY project time. I have a kind of big attic that has a walk up and it has no insulation. It gets really hot during the summer and very cold during the winter. It is an old house built in the early 1900s. I intend to make it into a living space or just nicer as it is big enough for a bedroom or a big play area. But it needs insulation so I would like to insulate the walls and ceiling because I intend to use it. What is the best material to use for doing this? I do not want to call and have closed cell sprayed in if I don't have to as it will be very expensive. Is it really my only option or is there a DIY way to do it for cheaper. Pic is somewhat like my is but mine is larger and a few feet higher.
>>
some thermal insulation foam inbetween and close it with osb or something
>>
File: IMG_6281.jpg (60KB, 1000x562px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6281.jpg
60KB, 1000x562px
>>1191924
>>
>>1191927
>close it with osb

I take it you really fucking hate the OP for some reason. OSB/faux wood paneling/MDF/any wood composite is literally the worst thing you can use for the underside of a roof. even shitty drywall would be better, but that's stretching it. All that shit is just job security for contractors. Just like the fucking OSB that's on the roof in the OP's image. There's already quality decking on the roof and they go and put on OSB sheeting.
>>
>>1191931
Was thinking of that but not for the floors as I intend to use the space. Also the floor does not have OSB or plywood but tongue and groove floor boards. I don't know if that will have the proper R value for an attic wall as they are only 6 inches.
>>
>>1191933
it is already fubar
>>
>>1191934
Would you really need to insulate the floors? I've seen some where they insulate the ceiling but not the floor, basically insulating anywall that's part of the outside.
>>
>>1191953
I have been asking the entire time about not the floors but the walls and ceiling. I cannot insulate the floors so I would need to go up.
>>
>>1191957
Then the pink stuff would be the best and easiest. Just need a stapler and razor knife.
>>
File: insulation support wire.png (67KB, 668x442px) Image search: [Google]
insulation support wire.png
67KB, 668x442px
>>1191924
If you want to insulate between the rafters and they are evenly spaced at ~24" OC then just get kraft paper backed fiberglass and some of pic related.
You can worry about vapor barriers and stuff when you are ready to sheath the walls and ceiling.
>>
>>1191924
I have the same problem. Best solution I could figure out was close cell spray foam insulation. Everything else requires soffit and roof ridge vents that would be a PITA to retrofit.

Anyways make sure your floor can handle the loads for living space before you go too far on this project. Mine are only 2x6's, 16" on center, so I will have to structurally reinforce the entire thing before I can doing any other finishing work.
>>
I found this but it seems like it would be a lot of work and might be as much as the closed cell would be. My space is like 4 times the size of his though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oXacPjdmZU

>>1191974
I wish I could see the floor structure but all I can see are the floor boards.
>>
I have attic like yours, put in 4" of closed cell spray foam. Supposedly the best bang for your buck. Whelp, its hot and cold as fuck up there still so make sure you do your research and don't waste money on snake oil.
>>
>>1192067
That shouldn't be. Closed cell at that depth should be adequate for a living space there. Maybe you didn't air seal everything or your windows are not energy efficient.
>>
>>1191924
Buy rolls of insulation from local hardware store.

Buy staple (hammer) gun. Hard to explain but its a staple gun u swing like a hammer.

Buy razor knife.

Roll insulation uo and go to pound town with staple gun.

WATCH FOR 1.5 TRILLION ROOFING NAILS OR SCREWS STABING YOUR HAND!!

cut of excess and start on the next spot with it. Continue till done.

Forgot to say sheet floor with 1/2" or 3/4" plywood first.

Get a billion screws or nail gun.

Sheet walls with 1/2" osb or plywood.

Get chair.

Sit and ponder how u wanna set it up.

Consider any plumbing or outlets before hand.

Good luck!
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.