[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Secret Society of Locksmiths

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: Locksmithing-19.jpg (164KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
Locksmithing-19.jpg
164KB, 600x400px
>mfw only a few weeks until I go for my training as a locksmith.

I'm panicking, /diy/. I want to actually learn the trade and do it proud, and I'm petrified I'm going to come away from the 5-Day course with information overload, and feel(/be) completely unprepared to start my business.

I'm in the UK, so there is no licencing or qualifications for locksmithing, but rather than being a relief it has me worried. The only training you can get is from existing locksmiths, usually half way across the country so they don't have to worry about stolen business, and it's 3-to-7 day courses (generally between £800-£2000). You come out as what would barely be an apprentice in the US, and have to learn the rest on the job. Apprenticeships are pretty much none-existant, and locksmithing might as well be a secret society as far as talking to anyone you aren't paying vast sums of money, or resources.

Any locksmiths or folks who know people in the business got any advice or tips, or anything to calm my nerves? I don't want to be a rogue trader, so I'm trying my best to soak up any and all knowledge and videos I can find online.
>>
Don't most locksmiths just use pickguns?
>>
Id just really hammer down on all the youtube videos from all the TOOOL folks. Watch every video you can on picking. You will do fine my friend. Your being overly nervous. Check out and get very familiar with BosnianBill on youtube.
>>
>>1191937
Most of their job is just instant pickings with those, and drilling locks that can't be instantly picked. Sometimes they're called on to do other stuff, like replace or repin cylinders, copy keys, etc.
>>
>>1191877

Nigga it ain't rocket surgery. How much can there be to learn? I'm surprised they even spend 5 whole days.

You could probably watch Youtube vids for a couple of days and get the same experience, being frank with you family. Then buy some common locks and practice picking those and you're good.
>>
>>1191980
Most of you people are idiots. I worked with 3 locksmiths for 5 years and not 1 time did they ever pick a lock. Fucking youtube morons.
>>
All you have to do is use a screw driver and a fucking bobby pin.
>>
File: commercial-locksmith-services.jpg (94KB, 425x282px) Image search: [Google]
commercial-locksmith-services.jpg
94KB, 425x282px
>>1191937

Sure, or an electric pick, or just normally if it's really simple.

>>1191943

I have been doing this for the last month or so, and have picked up on a lot, I'm just concerned more about the stuff they don't covor. A lot of the knowledge is 'protected' behind secured websites and forums you have to provide ID and proof-of-training/business to access. Shit is almost secret society level.

>>1191947

This, but it's the depth and knowledge needed for that least sentence. That 'ect' actually covers a lot, from rekeying locks right up to how to properly fit out a work-space and market a business, and avoid dangerous situations like thugs calling you out to break into places on threat of violence.

>>1191980

I've got decent at picking simple locks already, but there is a lot more to it than you think, mechanical to business wise.

>>1192528

Were they rogue traders? Because if someone locked their keys in the house, picking (in a good percentage of the cases) tends to be the go-to and cheapest for the customer, and drilling is a last resort.

Do you have any stories? Anything you picked up by osmosis.

>>1192537

Fallout lockpicking physically hurts me. Oblivion is actually the most accurate, though still not quite right.

...or you aren't referencing at all, and yeah, I guess that would work to pick a simple lock in a pinch, but there is more to the job that picking. Rekeying, knowledge of keys, locks, and the blanks, entry methods, ect.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.