[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I need to replace the thermocouple on my hot water heater,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_20170611_011312735.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170611_011312735.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
So I need to replace the thermocouple on my hot water heater, but the dial from the thermostat makes it impossible to get my wrench on the bolts. What do?
>>
>>1191560
Why do you heat hot water ?
>>
>>1191588
Probably has an immersion heater in their hot water tank.
>>
>>1191588
Hot isn't enough. I need 3rd degree burns to feel clean
>>
>>1191593
Seriously tho, how do I loosten these bolts I haven't had a hot shower in a week.
>>
>>1191595
what bolts?

isnt the thermocouple the copper on the left?
>>
You get a tool that works on the other axis, rolling instead of yawing?
>>
>>1191560
Can you take a better picture, what the fuck are we supposed to look at
>>
>>1191603
The thermocouple is that copper wire bit coming out of the bottom.

What you're describing is a gas pipe
>>
The thermocouple really shouldn't be that tight. They don't work when tightened beyond hand tight (fail more often, at least). Try getting some smaller pliers on it. It really should not take a lot of force.
>>
>>1191560
take the dial off. it's probably keyed onto a shaft. just pull on it nigga
>>
>>1191653
Ancient mechanic here.

There's a flange behind the dial so that won't work.

Since OP lacks a bent wrench or a line wrench that will reach, just use a pair of visegrips to grab the brass nut to break it loose. Not pliers, because most pliers have poor leverage.
>>
>>1191658
There's fucking screws in the picture to take that cover off. Also, whatever that knob is, it has to connect from the exterior, which means it's probably a set screw or just tension.
>>
File: 1491135286054.jpg (145KB, 1346x674px) Image search: [Google]
1491135286054.jpg
145KB, 1346x674px
>>1191690
those screws are not for the dial
>>1191658
how does that flange get attached? unlikely

OP please report back as you have triggered one of /diy/'s most sensitive autisms: a non specific mechanics with specific issues.
>>
File: flat,1000x1000,075,f.jpg (126KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
flat,1000x1000,075,f.jpg
126KB, 900x900px
>>1191560
>hot water heater
STOP DOING THAT
IT'S JUST A WATER HEATER
IT DOESN'T NEED TO BE QUALIFIED WITH "HOT"
RREEEEEEEEE
>>
>>1192103
"Hey, can we stop by the ATM machine? I need some cash to buy that movie on a DVD disc."
>>
Looks like you need multigrips son
>>
Remove the probe end of the thermocouple and feed it through a socket thats the correct size for the, compression fitting. Grip the socket with a pare of mole grips and remove. This will keep you clear of the dial. Refit the same way.
>>
>>1192121
I hope you remember your PIN number.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.