[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Door Knob Issues

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: shit.jpg (656KB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
shit.jpg
656KB, 4032x2268px
Hi All,
I moved into my house a few months ago and all of the indoor door knobs are these defective pieces of crap. I need to fix them, but it's a rental house so I don't want to actually buy new door knobs (also have a clause in my lease about minimum $ amount for repairs before the landlord will take care of it, otherwise I'd call the landlord).

Anyways, no door knobs were loose when I moved in, but over the last 3 months, 3 of them now come off everytime you turn and pull it to open the door. As you can see in the pictures, it's that little bracket that fits into the whole that is responsible for keeping the door knob on. I guess it gradually becomes permanently indented and no longer keeps the door knob in place. My thoughts were to try to find some little metal cap things that I can plug over the hole to keep the door knob in place, but I'm not even sure if that exists.

How would you recommend that I fix these pieces of shit?

>pic 1/3
>see bracket thing is too indented to keep door knob in place
>>
File: shit2.jpg (719KB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
shit2.jpg
719KB, 4032x2268px
>pic 2/3
>see knob easily comes off
>>
File: still_working.jpg (848KB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
still_working.jpg
848KB, 4032x2268px
>pic 3/3
>see different knob that still properly holds in place due to the bracket sticking out more

Thank you.
>>
>>1191222
An Allen wrench, the set screw is in too far, take it out and don't screw it in all the way. Maybe a drop of crazy glue just to keep everything in place.
>>
>>1191232
Damn I guess I have to buy a really tiny allen wrench before I can try this. But essentially the set screw is gradually getting too tight and needs to be loosened? Do you think this means whoever installed the door knobs used a set screw that was too short or just the door knobs are cheap?
>>
>>1191239
Sorry, not worth it for me to ponder the engineering of your landlord's doorknobs.

Just being honest.

The goal is to help you avoid paying to repair something you shouldn't have to...
>>
http://pinpointuncertainty.blogspot.com/2015/09/how-to-fix-lever-that-came-off-of-your.html
>>
>>1191243
NP, I appreciate the advice as this is my first house and I'm a total handy-man nub
>>
>>1191245
Knob is more like it...
>>
>>1191244
Thank you
>>
>>1191222
How long do you plan on staying?
>>
>>1191296
Kind of curious where you're going with that question?
>>
>>1191232
They shouldn't be horribly tight. You might be able to wing it with a flathead at an angle. Don't force it, that shit will strip, but I'm fairly certain there should be little resistance.

Also check above the door frames, contractors leave them up there sometimes because we have millions and know the homeowners probably don't have any.
>>
>>1191232
>Maybe a drop of crazy glue just to keep everything in place
please, no crazy glue - it's too permanent
use blue loctite or a tiny bit of nail polish
>>
>>1191222
Youre renting.

You dont fix shit in the house

Thats WHY you are renting.

The clause for the minimum $ for repairs is unenforcable when the repairs required are for basic functionality of the use of the domocile.

Call him and report that the handles are all breaking and installed incorrectly. Record the conversation. If he says no, then tell him you are holding him in breach of contract and will consider reporting it to the housing commission.

>sauce: landlord with over 80 individual properties, 8 apartment buildings with over 100 units, and a property management firm which manages another 50+ properties for owners.

You dont fix shit and letting your shitty slumlord get away with shit like this is what lets them keep pulling this shit with everyone else.
>>
>>1191731

>assuming laws/regulations are the same everywhere
>>
>>1191731
>throw the books at your slumlord
>suddenly getting evicted for some nonsense reason

Most of use live in the real world
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.