[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Building a keyboard

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: ergodo$.jpg (48KB, 590x393px) Image search: [Google]
ergodo$.jpg
48KB, 590x393px
Hello, I know, in the general sense, that building a keyboard is kind of unnecessary and simply buying one is cheaper. However, I want a project to pour my autism into and this would be a great way to learn more about electronics, I'd have to learn about all sorts of things while making/designing it...
I would love to make something similar to this, maybe even with my own custom PCB
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPc1X_WpiRA
I know, ther is an ergodox, but really, I'd maybe not add columanr staggering, but make it a split orthlinear/orthogonal keyboard, which is not availiable on the market.
If I go fully insane I'd maybe even try to make it bluetooth or 2.4/5GHz compatible wireless with an Li-Ion pack and all, maybe make it so that it supports both cabled and cablee-less usage, so that making it with RGBleds is not insane from a power-management perspective...
Open to ideas here, tell me guys, is it too insane?
>>
I'd start from hackaday.io and hackaday.com, see what others did and hack it:
https://hackaday.com/tag/keyboard/
>>
>>1191148
>https://hackaday.com/tag/keyboard/
Thanks for the reply, awesome read, I am not sure if it would be a good idea to use 2pcbs for each side though, I ersonally would probably prefer bringing every component on one pcb, though, not that sure in the end.
Are there any advantages I'm not thinking of right now, afaik it just adds to the height and makes more PCB manufacturing necessary, can you explaing?
I'll have to make a list of features I want, and then I'll have to look and see how to bes implement them, thanks, have a nice day!
>>
>>1191155
He used two PCBs so the front one have only buttons on it, the second PBC contains everything else. That way first PCB doubles as elegant front plate for the keyboard
>>
>>1191158
Yeah, read the whole thing in detail and realized that *facpalm*
But really, a steel front plate would be best, problem is the cost explodes, while the wallet implodes :^)
I really wonder how hard it is to make a keyboard that support both wired and wireless operation...
>>
>>1191160
>wired and wireless operation
Very easy. It's just an interface.
>>
>>1191259
Well, thanks for the reassurance. I guess all that happens is that the power switches from being taken out of the Batterz to the cable, probablz doable with some circuitrz on the board?
It's not like the data transmission had to suddenly be done over cable, though it would be best, to rely either completely on cable or wireless, instead of mixing both...
>>
Also, would you people recommend to use a switch plate (custom or not, everything flies if I manage in terms of $$ somehow) in the build?
>>
Nice, needed a thread like this.

I can't find the keyboard and keys I want. I want it all much flatter.

So I was thinking that I could take my current keyboard, grind the keys down shorter(the bottom) and make a custom frame to reduce overall height.

Could this be doable?
>>
>>1191331
I think it would be better to just get keys with lower profile.
Also depends how low you want the keys to be. If you want them to be really thin, like in notebooks, you would probably have to look into scissor switches.
A wiki about mechanical keyboards, really rich in content: https://deskthority.net/wiki/Scissor_switch

You can find some resources regarding chink components obtainable through AliExpress and such on /g/'s wiki.
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Electronic_and_computer_goods#Keyboards
>>
>>1192920
The thing is that I cant find nordic low profile, laseretched for LED shinethrough, for cherry mx.

And I've used scissor/chiclet for many years. I want to try mechanical now.

But I'll check out the links and tips, thanks!
>>
>>1193053
Have you tried just look for the keycaps that fit your needs? Otherwise, I think you're boned on mechanical keyboards since the mechanism is what makes mechanicals, mechanicals (and taller than average).
>>
Semantics is an important part of ergonomics, its not ergonomic.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.