[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this saw worth it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 10

Dewalt is pushing this $600 DWS780 now with a "free" $200 stand. I need a miter saw but I'm hesitant to drop this much money on it, despite the "free" stand. Should I bite?
>>
>>1190938
Depends, do you already own a tablesaw? What type of work are you doing? Are you a contractor?
>>
The dewalt is nice, but the hitachi is a much better buy. Use it every fay at work.

I went with the hitachi for my house, and love it. The hitachi can be place aganst a wall, because the sliding system does not extend out the back like the dewalt.

The dewalt stand is good, but nothing special.
>>
>>1190942
I don't own a tablesaw (yet) but I doplan on getting one. I'm just a DIY homeowner, but I have some upcoming projects which will require a decent miter saw, such as replacing all the baseboard and trim in my house. There are probably about 10-20 times a year I find myself in need of a miter saw and I just make do with my circular saw. I want to get something really good which will last me a long time, and I can afford it so I'm not going to buy some crappy ryobi or anything.

>>1190960
Thanks for the tip on the Hitachi, man. I hadn't seen this model before and it looks damn good. I really like the fact that it will take up less space in my woodshop (garage). Looks like it's $150 less and also comes with a free stand at the moment. Will strongly consider.
>>
>>1190968
>I want to get something really good which will last me a long time, and I can afford it so I'm not going to buy some crappy ryobi or anything.
well then you've already made up your mind

(otherwise I would have said to get one from HF)
>>
12" with slide is pretty overkill for DIY. Any 10" miter saw can cut 4x4 in one go. You can get a good 10" non-sliding for between $150 and $200, or with sliding for $250-$300ish. Right now would be a good time to check as most outlets are running power tools on sale for father's day.

The stand is not necessary. It is very simple to make support blocks for long pieces.
>>
>>1190938

I'd say probably not worth it. You can get a 12" single bevel miter saw for $200 that can cut:

2x8 at a right angle
4x4 at any angle
2x6 up to 45 degrees

Unless you've got something very specific in mind that needs the added capacity to cut 2x10's at a 90 degree angle or 2x8's up to 45 degrees, paying extra for a sliding miter saw isn't worth it in terms of saw capacity. However if you're looking for more portability or battery-powered versions then a smaller 10" saw that slides might be worth it.

A store-bought stand might be useful if you really desire mobility and want to lug the saw right to the project site. If you're working on a finished house though you're probably going to be doing cutting outside. The store bought stands tend to be a little wobbly because they're portable.

If portability isn't a concern then you can build a workbench or even just use a set of sawhorses with a sheet of plywood and you'll get something just as sturdy or sturdier, and it'll cost you as little as $40 depending on how fancy you get. If you do build your own you'll want to build a set of cutting supports.
>>
>>1191001

That's a DeWalt brand miter saw for $200 by the way, not something chincy.
>>
>>1191002
dewalts not European anymore, theyre mexican i think. some people say the quality dived with that change, idk
>>
I spent money on the Bosch with the articulating arms and it's been fantastic. Pricey, though.

Anyway, I have the DeWalt miter saw stand and it's honestly pretty good.
>>
Ive got a Kobalt (Lowe's home brand, $200) 10" miter saw, the Dewalt 12" miter saw you posted, and my shop has a Bosch 12" articulating arm saw. I only bring the Dewalt to the job when I know i will need the extra cutting space the 12" blade provides. I find no real difference between the bosch and the dewalt except we have the bosch bench mounted closer to a wall than the dewalt could accomplish because of the arms vs slider system.

TL;DR, homeowner should go with a cheaper 10" version unless you really need the cutting capacity of the 12", just check that they set square with a 7" speedsquare once in a while to know you're still cutting accurately...
>>
>>1191024
I've considered the Kobalt a bit, but I don't know anyone who has any of their power tools and it's hard to tell if online reviews are worthy of any attention. How do you like it?
>>
>>1191028
Its decent. I'm a general contractor and don't generally go cheap on tools. I took a chance on this one and its been good so far. Like any tool it will depend on how you take care of it, I check it for square every time I set it up to make sure it is accurate.
>>
>>1191032
by "so far" I mean about 3 years, we do signs and trim for ret
>>
>>1191034
*for retail store clients. Damn 4chan hit post for me while i was typing.
>>
>>1190938
I have an older version of this same saw and it is awesome. I built a 1500 sq ft patio, a gazebo and a pergola with it. it only slowed down cutting 4x6s.

That being said, find one at a garage sale or craig's list for 1/3rd the price and get it.
>>
>>1191028
I have the kobalt table saw, and wish i had gotten anything else.

It is belt drive which is nice, but the arbor is not true , ir square, so the blad on mine wobbles and isnt parallel to the fence. The fence is shit,

The only nice thing is the folding stand , that i like.
>>
Get hitaci or the bosch.

Stand is nice for jobsite work, but if your doing a home shop build a saw station
>>
>>1190938

Bought that saw and stand to go with it (DWX725B) last year and can't complain. I use it work work around the house (deck, wood floors, filling out attic space). The stand is worth it (imo).
>>
File: 000999309009.jpg (138KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
000999309009.jpg
138KB, 900x900px
Does anyone have a 7 1/4 miter saw? Seems like a good option for a homeowner who will only be doing small projects, and they're really affordable.

Seems like only Kobalt and Craftsman make corded versions though. Dewalt has a cordless one, but a cordless miter saw seems like a stupid thing to own.
>>
>>1191003
>DeWalt
>Mexican

No, it's still US branded made in china crap. It's what used to be called Black & Decker Professional. B&D dropped that name when they realized the complete shit-tier Walmart B&D was causing people to run from their (arguably) good tool lineup, so they rebadged it.
>>
>>1191455
I have the 10" version of the one you have pictured. It's a great rig, comes with an extending base, and the dimensions are only slightly larger. Plus they're on sale right now for $177 for father's day.
>>
>>1191464
$177? The website still lists it at $199:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-10-in-15-Amp-Single-Bevel-Sliding-Compound-Laser-Miter-Saw/3512785
>>
>>1191457
so dewalt is actually crap now days? why do they still get good recommendations?
>>
Just an FYI, I work at Lowe's, and at least in the past when DeWalt had done the free miter stand thing, there's two models of the saw, one which is just the saw, and one that's an identical saw, but that costs about a miter saw stand worth more, and comes with a free miter saw stand.
>>
>>1191496
DeWalt is fine, but there are better options. I'd call it 60/40 saying that Milwaukee/DeWalt is better than the other, as far as build quality goes, I think most would say the couple cordless tools Bosch makes are great, and it's pretty widely agreed on that Makita is better, as far as major brands you can easily find in the US. I think everyone would agree that Hilti is top tier. They've all got their advantages and disadvantages. DeWalt has one of the best reviewed cordless oscillating multitools, and nearly always wins the "how it feels in the hand" tests. Torque, they won't release the numbers anymore, both because they kept getting outclassed, and the slightly true reason of torque not being the only number you should care about. They use UWO now, some combo of torque and RPM, to actually measure peak drilling speed. If they would list torque and everyone else would list UWO, it would be great, but DeWalt focuses on more woodworking/construction stuff, where that UWO number really works, and Milwaukee is much more sparky/industry related, where you'll probably need the torque to drill through a lot of metal.
>>
>Not getting the Harbor Freightâ„¢ 12 inch dual bevel sliding miter saw for $133 which is probably better than the Dewaltâ„¢.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-double-bevel-sliding-compound-miter-saw-with-laser-guide-system-61969.html

OP you have a lot to learn
>>
>>1191496
Dewalt isn't crap, that was the ussue. Black And Decker Pro was actually pretty well made and reasonably priced, but Black and Decker is such a toxic brand for anyone with any experience, nobody would buy them.
>>
>people confusing dewalts drills with their jobsite saws

Dewalt miter saws are worth every penny, regardless of how shitty their drills are.
>>
>>1191663
what was the problem with bd pro?

>>1191668
im more curious about the brand as a whole, getting into powertools and no brand seems to be straightfoward with their range (bosche with their green and blue, dewalt with seemingly two ranges, metabo supposedly being better than dewalt but i can find them significantly cheaper, etc)
>>
>>1190938
I bought the ridgid 12" dual bevel miter saw on sale during the holidays and I have been incredibly happy with it.

My old man who is a dewalt guy even went and bought one after helping me put up a shed at my in-laws.
>>
>>1190938
I really like mine but I got it second hand. New price is overvalued I feel. Really like the lighting system on it, which is a shadow line rather than a laser so no need to calibrate it.
>>
File: IMG-20170312-WA0008.jpg (2MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170312-WA0008.jpg
2MB, 2340x4160px
>>1191720
Forgot pic. It's a 110v version rather than 240v so can be used on site here in the UK. Paid £380 and that's how it looked the day I went to collect it, so good clean condition. Only trouble was the guy who had it last hadn't zereoed the bevel or mitre so I had to spend a few hours getting it into square but since it's been fine and works well.
>>
>>1191723
ffs, I thought I'd rotated that.
>>
File: IMG_3575.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3575.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>1190938
Get the DeWalt. It will fit perfectly in your garage, Doug. Just don't get the dumbshit expensive version with the "free" stand. Just buy the saw (without the stand). And buy a table saw. You could probably get both of them then for about &600.
>>
>>1191670
The only brands that is consistent is fein or festool. But they are stupid expensive for what you get. ($1000 for a track saw, really festool?.)

Dewalt , bosch, hitachi, millwaki , makita,
Rigid.

All have hit an miss tools.
>>
>>1191732
Festool have hit and miss tools. Their cordless drills are dogshit, but if you buy into the idea that festool and fein are German therefore they are superior, therefore they justify the price, best of luck to ya.
>>
>>1191723
Do they use 110v in the UK? I thought you all were 220v master race all the way...
>>
>>1191455
Its going to be great until you need to cut something requiring the 10 inch.
>>
>>1191732
I don't get Festool's pricing. Obviously thet spend more on r&d at least for some of their products, but the actual materials and assembly does not add up. Their mark up has to be immense if they are even halfway efficient in production.

Are their sales numbers good enough to sustain their pricing?
>>
File: 100645487-pod1.jpg (66KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
100645487-pod1.jpg
66KB, 1000x1000px
I've been rocking this bad boy for a few years now. I got it on sale for $500 including stand.
It's heavy duty and the slide function is rock solid. There's an adjustment dial that locks out the positive stops and allows for 0.1 degree increments of accuracy. It also has a nice digital readout screen that reads the angle to tenth and an led light. The 12" blade is good for deep miters and wider stock, I've never been a fan of 10". The dust collection is the best I've come across.
I'd only recommend it as a stationary shop saw though, as it's super heavy.
>>
>>1191670
There wasn't a problem with Black and Decker pro. Black and Decker's residential shit is absolutely terrible. People would see the BD label and say Fuck That and run.
>>
>>1191755
240v tools are generally not allowed on most commercial sites. There's no rules against it as such but the majority of major contractors refuse to allow 240v tools and actually encourage the use of battery tools over corded tools; but we have anything up to 415v depending on what it is you're doing.

>>1191455
Waste of time unless you're using CLS timber or skirting/small trim. If you want to be prepared for more jobs with one saw 10/12" is the way to go.

>>1191762
Cork sniffing woodworkers perpetuate the idea that festool is the be all of power tools so people continue to buy their stuff up.
>>
>>1190971
>otherwise I would have said to get one from HF
That's what I was going to say. He's just a DIYer, the tool won't see a crazy amount of work, and will last a long time for him. I might go with a Ryobi, only because I know where to get them reconditioned, and will be close to the HF price.
>>
>>1191786
Just did a check, Ryobi 12" sliding miter saw $169, HF 12" sliding miter saw $134.
>>
Get a 10in slider, do NOT get a 12in slider.
The price difference between 10in blades and 12in blades is enormous. I wish that I had went with a 10, the price of the blades isnt worth the extra cutting ability. If you have something really large you want mitered and it wont work on a slider 10, use a sled on a table saw
>>
File: 2017-06-11_22-39-08.png (488KB, 854x748px) Image search: [Google]
2017-06-11_22-39-08.png
488KB, 854x748px
>>1191798
>The price difference between 10in blades and 12in blades is enormous. I wish that I had went with a 10, the price of the blades isnt worth the extra cutting ability.

If you're considering a £600 saw I really don't the cost of buying or repairing blades is going to be a factor.
>>
>>1191827
>get $600 saw
>buying a department store blade for it

A proper blade from a proper brand is $100+ and the 12s are a good 50% more than the 10s
If he wanted awful tear out and ripping from a shitty blade, might as well just buy a cheaper saw too.
>>
>>1191830

What, the department store blades labelled Bosch, and Dewalt? I can import a diablo 12" 96 tooth blade fom the US for less than what you're suggesting.

And again, if you're buying a £600 saw, what's the cost of a decent blade matter that you can get repaired... not to say the £60 DeWalt blades aren't decent enough.
>>
>>1191798

Get a 40$ blade sharpener from HF. Prepare to never buy another blade again unless you're using them 8 hrs a day. I still use steel blades from the 60s, I've found they cut clean af.
>>
>>1191789
>Just did a check, Ryobi 12" sliding miter saw $169

Where do you get this number. On Home Depot's site it's $229 and that's a recent mark down: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-15-Amp-12-in-Sliding-Miter-Saw-with-Laser-TSS120L/205673791
>>
>>1191835
Bosch Dewalt and Diablo (which is not even a real freud) are the epitome of department store blades.

The first thing you do when you buy a Dewalt miter saw is throw the blade away
>>
>>1191845
>just talking literal shit

Why go to the trouble and just buy a Kapex, £200 blade comes with that; you'll more than likely sleep better at night for it.
>>
>>1191798
OP here. I would actually prefer a 10" just because it would be easier to move around and I don't see myself ever needing to cut a lot of 12" wide lumber at an angle. The problem is only a couple companies make 10" sliders which are dual bevel, and those that do charge as much (or more than) a 12" dual bevel of equal or better quality.
>>
>>1191670
Bosch green is consumer, blue is pro(Think Porter Cable vs DeWalt), DeWalt 18v is old NiCad, 20v is new Li-ion, and both are technically the same voltage. 20v is peak, 18v is nominal, it's not entirely marketing wank, they do it to differentiate between battery styles. They're only advertised that way in the US, because other countries have consumer protection laws that would prevent that kinda semi-disengenuous marketing, so they're both 18v elsewhere. Metabo GRINDERS are the only ones I consistently hear about, but Makita/DeWalt/Metabo are all good.
>>
>>1191850
Why do you need dual bevel?
>>
>>1191925
Everyone should have dual bevel so you never have to make a cut upside-down and backwards.
>>
>>1191925
Comes in pretty darn handy when installing large profile crown, and you can only cut it on the flat...
>>
>>1191861
>Think Porter Cable vs DeWalt

Same company owns both

They also own, Craftsman, Black and Decker, Mac Tools, Bostitch, Stanley, Husky and Guoqiang (this is the manufacturer of all the above named tool brands)

Parent company also owns dozens of other brands

All this shit is built by the same company
>>
>>1191925
The HF "dual bevel" is not what it sounds like
You have to unbolt and move a bunch of fittings to bevel to the right
Takes a while to make the change
Not worth it you quickly learn
>>
File: comp.jpg (74KB, 912x281px) Image search: [Google]
comp.jpg
74KB, 912x281px
>>1191976
Oh, don't be fooled. The Black and Decker company has done contract work for just about everyone. Take this Snap-On 'Blue Point' electric drill for example. Even your 'premium tools' from a 'trusted name' can secretly be made by Stanley Black and Decker. They continue to make tools for various other brands to this day. These days, they change more than the nameplate, though. Generally, the only way you can tell is by opening the tool and compare parts and such.
>>
>>1191838
Direct tool. They sell reconditioned name brand tools. It's where I buy a lot of my stuff.
>>
>>1191976
>>>1191861 (You)
>>Think Porter Cable vs DeWalt
>Same company owns both
Right. Like Bosch green and Bosch blue. Porter Cable is SB&D's consumer lineup, and DeWalt is their pro lineup.

How does Bostitch hold up? I ended up getting their linesman pliers for my little home repair electrical bag, because I didn't want to spend Knipex prices and didn't like anything in between.
>>
I have a ryobi 10" compound miter saw. Like it.
>>
>>1191830

You're not really giving a fair comparison. Yeah, the 12" blades are about 50% more than a comparable 10" blade. But there's more to it:

A fine finish 12" blade has 80 teeth. A fine finish 10" blade has 60 teeth. You've got 33% more teeth and some higher amount of blade mass in the 12" blade. In particular, since you're spreading the work out across 80 teeth instead of 60 teeth your blade is going to last longer and stay sharper than a smaller blade. It's also got more mass to make cleaner cuts with less chatter once you get it up to speed.
>>
OP here. I stopped in both a Lowe's and a Home Depot today while I was out shopping (those two stores are like a minute away from eachother). I was actually really impressed with the 12" Kobalt they had on display, which is only half the price of the Dewalt DWS780. Actually, the 10" Kobalt for $200 seemed like a really good option as well as it seemed really well built, had all the features I need, and was only 36lbs so much easier to move around/store.

I didn't like the Hitachi only because it uses a vertical hand grip, and the horizontal one the others use is MUCH more ergonomic (also the Hitachi is a monstrous machine, as was the Ridgid).

Not sure what to do here fellas. Do I save several hundred bucks and get the Kobalt, or get the Dewalt that everyone thinks is so great?
>>
>>1190938

I would say buy whatever you want. it isnt like a hyundai vs a BMW. its not like there have been amazing technological advances in Miter saws.

that being said i would look into buying used or maybe refurbished. 600 is a lot for a motor attached to a spinning blade.
>>
>>1192662
I'd get the cheaper one and use some of your savings on a nice blade.
>>
>>1192662
>Not sure what to do here fellas. Do I save several hundred bucks and get the Kobalt, or get the Dewalt that everyone thinks is so great?

I've bought cheap in the past and regretted it so that's why I bit the bullet and got >>1191723

The only other mitre saw I have is a 10 year old makita LS which at the time was mid range. Ive used a few cheap mitre saws and generally thought they were rubbish. After using the 780 I was right.

While be point about spending in a nice blade keeps being made if you're buying a saw of this cost of the blade isn't worth thinking about.
>>
>>1190938

>I need x
>I am hesitant to drop money on it

Sounds to me like you don't need it.
>>
>>1191755

220v is master race but health and safety is cucking that nation.
>>
>>1192821
Well yeah you're right, I don't "need" it. I need food, shelter, and water. I WANT a goddamn kickass miter saw.
>>
>>1191018
Same, although some evening manager at lowes price matched it to an amazon add I brought in so I was pretty happy with the price I paid.
>>
>>1192873
Lowe's will price match competitors, or Amazon stuff actually sold by Amazon, not a 3rd party via Amazon(some folks were taking to making their own dirt cheap listings to get things price matched).
>>
>>1192812
>10 year old makita LS

They still sell that saw and it remains very good. Except for that stupid safety switch on the handle which you should superglue down instantly.
>>
>>1193018
It's still a good saw. It's a little battered and has a few extra mods holding it up but it's used for firewood and rough cut work.
>>
File: Shitty saw.jpg (51KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Shitty saw.jpg
51KB, 500x500px
>>1192061
>Porter Cable
>Stanley Black & Decker consumer lineup

Then what's this shit? You could take a dump in a box, slap a Porter Cable sticker on said box, and it'd still be a better saw than this.
>>
>>1193142
>what's this shit?
>shit
You answered your own question. It's shit. They're selling the cheapest stuff they can as a cash grab. Porter Cable is quality, just not the same level that's required by pros.
>>
File: Capture.png (169KB, 995x262px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
169KB, 995x262px
Just picked this up at Lowe's. They're selling it at $129 today only. Better hurry they're open until 10.
>>
>>1193159
>Porter Cable is quality, just not the same level that's required by pros.

eh, that depends. I find their routers to be suitable for professional work still.
>>
>>1191002
>not something chincy.
>DeWalt

lol

>>1190938
Why haven't you made your own miter box and jig?
>>
File: images.jpg (36KB, 439x236px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
36KB, 439x236px
>>1193184
Their routers are legendary. The started making a nice little 7/8th HP router in the 50's that they continued to manufacture for 60 years, under 4 different owners (independent, Rockwell, Pentair, and Stanley Black & Decker). It only went off the market a few years ago. It was called the Model 100.

That said, they aren't what they used to be. From their founding, all the way up until the 80's or so they were a real craftsman's tool. After the Taiwanese got a hold of them and started making a number of their tools overseas to hit a price point they started going down hill. Last I checked they weren't even making any of their tools in the USA anymore either. While they are still better than a modern B&D tool you know damn well they are now just filling a price point tier in the SB&D catalog. Above B&D but below DeWalt.
>>
>>1193179
well, looks like they extended the sale on this for another day:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-10-in-15-Amp-Single-Bevel-Sliding-Compound-Laser-Miter-Saw/3512785
>>
>>1190938
I have that saw and stand. The stand is ok, but the saw is the best I've ever used.
>>
>>1193260
How do you find the DeWalt for holding a miter setting? From playing around with one in store it looked pretty decent, with metal parts. The complaint I recall seeing with the Kobalt was that trying to set a miter that wasn't in one of the preset detents would often cause it to drift as the lock screw was tightened. It uses a plastic lever to lock into the miter detents.

Don't know how I feel about using plastic parts in that part of the design, but even an expensive saw like a Bosch I looked at did it. The HF saws as I recall used metal. Funny story; back when I was shopping for a miter saw I stopped by a Sears to check their overall fit and quality. All three Craftsman miter saws on display had their miter lock mechansim broken off in some fashion. In a store with zero customers, all the employees were clustered around the service desk chatting. None offered much more than a shrug when asked why their display saws were broken.
>>
>>1193438
Not that guy but I have the saw. I spent a few hours setting up the stops to get them as near perfect as possible, since then once it's set, it's set.
>>
>>1191850
Dewalt 717 m8 basically the same as the op
>>
>>1190938

Not sure about the one you're showing but Dewalt is reliable as fuck. My dad bought one 15 years ago when we purchased a home and I helped him do a ton of projects where that saw was used repeatedly. It still works perfectly fine today.
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.