[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Buying a house. What to look out for.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

I'm buying a house today. The closing is this afternoon. I'll be doing another walk through before that happens. What major things should I look out for that I may not have already thought of?

•Roof Leak stains.
•Backflow stains around bathroom.
•Foundation cracks.
•Doors that face one direction not shutting or being stuck (suggesting foundation subsidence).
•Knowing shut off valves/meters locations.
•Flood plain grade (even though it is on a hill, the driveway may be angled incorrectly for instance causing mini-flooding during a downpour.)

I think those are the most important things.
>>
Neighbors... look at the economic situation of those around the house to get an idea of security measures you Will need to take. How much of your sidewalk/driveway can town construction rip up and destroy. Think about invasive species near the house and distance to different services such as police, fire, medical, school, food and other delivery services. Major things are important but a bunch of small things can really break a good house. I.e. is it worth buying a cheap house but good-looking house if crime rates are ridiculous. Just things that come to my mind. Oh and the heater/ac/boiler
>>
And u might even think about knocking and asking the neighbors what they know. It would be worth an awkward exchange
>>
>>1190659
>>1190660
Good idea. It is a very small town and the house is located literally in the middle of "downtown" with the courthouse, sheriffs dept, jail, 2 lawyer's offices, and magistrate building boxing in the house. It is probably the safest house in the entire town.
>>
In that case yeah the main things will be neighbors and keep asking yourself what you would change. I use that method for buying practically everything. Location sounds good.
>>
>>1190663
I think most of the neighbors are retired people who keep to themselves for the most part. There's a fair amount of yard space for gardening and that activity alone would bring that demographic around really well. That demographic also usually doesn't have loud parties or animals and normally police themselves fairly well through word of mouth.

I'll be putting up a fence to prevent random loose dogs, deer, etc from being a nuisance. That also usually helps with neighbors. This is the 4th house that I'll own, 2nd one that's in a town.
>>
>>1190657
Are you buying it for yourself or are you renting out. If it's for yourself don't buy it if it doesn't have a workshop, fireplace and enough space to garden.
>>
>>1190673
There's plenty of room for all that. Also, a workshop is as easy as buying a shed and placing it where ever it will fit. I don't think a single house in that town doesn't have a fireplace, even if they don't use them anymore.
>>
>>1190676
I come to learn at a very young age that a house is useless without a garden a workshop and a fireplace.
>>
>>1190662
What Zoopla information is the house? Look to see if commercial or mixed or can be turned to either of the former. See if the lot frontage is wide enough to be split
>>
>>1190752
Fuck auto correct

What zoning is the house is what I meant to type in the first sentence
>>
Realtor here. This is what a prepurchase inspection is for. You can still get one after you take ownership.
>>
File: 1161839_stock-photo-house-sold.jpg (71KB, 600x480px) Image search: [Google]
1161839_stock-photo-house-sold.jpg
71KB, 600x480px
OP here.

Last walk through is done. House is now sold. It is actually better than I thought it was during the 1st walk through. It was built in 1900 and has really good construction. However, morons have done stuff like drywall, full carpeting over amazing wood flooring, closing in a porch and turning it into a bathroom (complete with warping faux wood paneling), covering over windows, painting over the ropes for the window weights, and pointing all the gutters towards the foundation (full basement). I think whoever installed the HVAC system used a chainsaw. Thankfully nothing a few thousand and some elbow grease can't fix.

The attic is amazing, fyi. Though the retarded, bubble wrap, insulation needs to go. I'm actually surprised it didn't have drop ceilings. All the high ceilings are nice and the entire thing is as cool as a cucumber inside even though it is hot as balls outside.

The most amazing thing is how quite it is inside, even up in the attic. It is comparable to the house I'm in right now (converted plank barn). That's probably due to the planks construction and yellow pine siding.
>>
>>1190837
post pics
>>
lawns are a fuckton of work unless you pour a bunch of shit on them. if you want your lawn to look good without steroiding it out every year and hurting the environment and getting cancer, prepare to spend a lot of work on it which means at least a week in the fall and a week in the spring.
>>
>>1190949
Sorry, no,

>>1191183
Most of the lawn will be covered in gardens and pet runs. The backyard feels like a cattle field underfoot complete with hoof divots.
>>
>>1190753
I like zoopla more and am wondering why that's in your autocorrect? Wtf is it?
>>
>>1190823
Knowing what to look for will save you some time and hassle. Currently looking and been through about a dozen places. Eliminated 8 of them just by poking around with a flashlight. Went back to one place a 2nd time with my dad and he spotted some major issues(asbestos, water damaged bathroom flood) I missed.

Down to 2 places. Going back next week to look at one and nail down some renovation costs.
>>
>>1190837
>However, morons have done stuff like drywall
Consider yourself lucky, we've been living in our new place for about a month now and still noticing real shitty renovation work. Like whoever the monkey who plastered the kitchen just gave no fucks about smoothing it over or even removing power sockets/switch plates and just plastered around them, worse thing being they didn't go below the kitchen worktop and you can see they didn't even bother removing wallpaper underneath.

We only had the time and budget to just paint white emulsion over the whole thing to make it less shit, but jesus the whole thing needs demoing and redoing.
>>
>>1190837
Wood floor was done bitd because it was cheaper than carpet.
It noisey and cold.
Don't just start pulling carpet up because you think that wood floor is awesome. Research what nyoure getting into first.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.