[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Car Jack strength

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: Car jack.png (3MB, 1472x1104px) Image search: [Google]
Car jack.png
3MB, 1472x1104px
Crossposting from /o/ just in case

Asking as a car noob that just remembered this sight has a place for mechanical advice stuff; how long can I leave a car on the jack it comes with and have it be reasonably safe. I didn't know auto places closed so early so I've got an Acura MDX with a removed passenger side front wheel sitting on the complimentary car jack.
>>
It'll be fine anon.
source: I work around this stuff everday.
>>
Lower it onto some wooden or concrete blocks that can support its weight. What would you do if the jack slipped and it was sitting on the ground
>>
>>1190461
For fucks sake. Jack stands you dipshit. Jacks of all kinds fail, takes effort to fuck up a jack stand.
>>
>>1190462
Thanks man!
>>
>>1190465
That's a full on jack stand? I honestly didn't know.

>>1190464
Is it really that easy to displace?
>>
>>1190461
>auto places closed so early.
Even if you're in the east coast, Oreilly closes at 2200, 2230 in some places. At worst, get jack stands from Walmart and make sure they're rated for the weight of the car.
>>
>>1190467
Yes, Scissor jacks are widowmakers. A light push and any movement in the suspension will have you buying new rotors.
Can't you just put the tire back on? Or use the spare tire? What work are you doing on that car?
>>
>>1190466
>putting your life/transpo in the hands of some retard on the internet

nigger go buy jackstands for 20 bucks.
>>
>>1190476
Dude, the thing will be fine for 24 hours. He's not crawling under the damn car. I assume he'll get what he needs tomorrow and put the tire back on.
>>
>>1190479
Murphy find a way, man. $20USD isn't a huge deal when it comes to the liability of having a precariously jacked vehicle for an extended period of time.
>>
>>1190466
why not just leave the tire on there and jack it up a little to take some stress off the flat
>>
>>1190461

It's fine to leave it indefinitely, assuming you've got the wheels blocked/parking brake on.

That being said, do NOT get under a car not supported by jack stands or something else that's essentially a solid, stable block (such as rims).
>>
>>1190464
Took your advice and put a cinderblock under the...tire-less wheel thing.
>>
>>1190490
That would be the brake rotor. No, you moron, that's part of what you're trying to protect. Why don't you have your spare tire on it?
>>
>>1190461
Don't ever fucking leave a car on the jack. The safe assumption is that you only use it when jacking the car up or down. Get some jack stands. They're not expensive. You want to risk your life or fuck up your car by cheaping out on $30?
>>
Flat tire?

Just put the wheel back on and put it on the ground. It won't hurt it in the slightest
>>
I use old rims, but on the road I slide the removed wheel under the vehicle as a safety and leave the car on the jack since the vehicle cannot fall through the wheel.

Rims are much more stable than jack stands and you can nest small into large if supporting a tall truck. Many salvage yards store vehicles on bare rims for safety, stability and easy access.
>>
>>1190490
Fucking lol. This is why retards shouldn't work on cars.
>>
File: Y3Yc8ZG[1].jpg (17KB, 637x403px) Image search: [Google]
Y3Yc8ZG[1].jpg
17KB, 637x403px
AND FOR ANY BONGS LOOKING IN:
and wishing they had a pair of axle stands:
http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-workshop/axle-stands/halfords-3-tonne-axle-stands
On offer at the mo less than half price, decent stands, but you probably need to be quick - get cheaper ones for a tenner, but, these are worth another £2, BONGTIP ONLY.
>with apologies for shilling, but, decent price.
>>
>>1191900
you need to put a warning on this i nearly had a fucking heart attack. this cannot be halfords. what is the catch? they are made of butter?
>>
>>1191910
no, these are (surprisingly..) actually ok, check the reviews :)
halfrauds jacks are real shit tho..
besides, they are fucking 12 quid, stop moaning you cunt :)
>>
>>1190490

Next time just place that cinder block or some bricks next to the jack, release the jack so the car seats on the blocks, rise the jack again and now you got that corner supported on two points. It can now be left to rot on your yard
>>
>>1191917
yeah you can just buy them as table legs
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.