[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Making a flute

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Bansuri_bamboo_flute_23inch.jpg (130KB, 800x401px) Image search: [Google]
Bansuri_bamboo_flute_23inch.jpg
130KB, 800x401px
So recently I purchased a bansuri through amazon but was slightly dissapointed because the thing doesn't really sound like I was expecting, the tone is way too high and squeaky compared to the solemn sound I was hoping to achieve, instead of purchasing another one I decided it would be easier to make my own since a bansuri is basically a cane flute
Since I want something along the lines of the one here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWWAgCjAQvI I was hoping I could make a decent mimicry of it with a big bamboo cane as long as I get the proportions right, is there anything else I should know about making woodwind instruments before I hop in?
>>
Judging from your style of typing, you are from India... Why don't you buy a traditional one... You'll get free training asking with it...btw people have also made it from pvc
>>
>>1190700
English is a foreign language to me but I'm not from India so buying a traditional one directly from the source is out of the picture
>>
This is relevant to my interests.
>>
OP here

After some investigation I've come up with two theories concerning the reason why my flute sounds like it does

On one hand, the lenght of the flute and the thickness of the wooden walls are lesser than any bamboo cane from which traditional flutes are made of, on the other hand, the finger holes in it seem to be slightly off-centered compared to the blowing hole

I'll try to get the righ materials to make a decent one by myself, if you can add anything else to the thread that'd be greatly appreciated, I'll update in case anything interesting happens
>>
http://rockfreakinsolid.com/2010/03/how-to-make-a-flute-the-project/
>>
>>1192569
It doesn't matter whether the finger holes are centered or not as long as they're in the right place. You'll want to Google that, placement of finger holes for a flute. The tone frequency is all about length and width of the air channel; the timbre is about materials used.
>>
I understand, does that mean that the thickness of the walls is irrelevant or is that one of the factors involved in changing the timbre?
>>
>>1195547
Afaik it does, but not substantially.
Everything has an impact, including type of material used, thickness of the walls, whether its tapering to the end and probably if its straight or not. It has an impact on a timbre to a degree, but if its relatively straight pipe and you calculate and cut holes correctly, it should be fine. Thats why there are so many diy pvc flutes, pvc pipes are uniform and easy to work with, taking over half of guess game out of equation.
>>
>>1195572
This Anon knows his shit. My gut is telling me that what you're asking is a lot like the difference between using walnut or mahogany for a solid body guitar. There will be a slight difference, but almost no one will hear it, and even fewer will care or appreciate it.
>>
Can someone smarter than me post the math?
I tried into math, but results differed from theory GREATLY.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.