[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Building a raft

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: fishing boat.png (55KB, 828x498px) Image search: [Google]
fishing boat.png
55KB, 828x498px
I am going to build a fishing raft out of blue foam from an old dock and wood to build a deck. We are going to put a trolling motor on the back. Use is for fishing mainly. I have a canoe but its very tipsy. I can the materials laying around. So its much cheaper than buying a boat. I have a rough idea. was wondering what you guys think? sort of like a deck boat or a patoon boat.
>>
Deck mainly because it gives you more room to walk around on and use for other things like a boat house
>>
>>1190368
yeah man thats what I was thinking maybe put like a propane little camping barbecue. for cooking food on. im just gonna use foam shape it and then use liek old skids and use them for deck boards
>>
Id be carfull with fires on a raft tho like get stones and shit for underneath it
>>
Also intredsted in the end results if you dont mind posting them
>>
I think we already know the answer is to just gather plastic, put it in a fishing net, put a deck on it.
>>
if you really want to do the portable camping stove on it, bolt it on so it doesn't slide around and become an even bigger firehazard.
pain in the dick to cook shit though if its not 100% steady while you're cooking though since whatever is on top of it can still slide off

you could also just attach two pontoons to your existing canoe to make it not tipsy
>>
>>1190356
>blue foam from an old dock
Check the local laws and regulations for whatever body of water you plan to be on. I used to live out on a TVA lake for a while, and they don't allow any kind of styrofoam floats on new construction. If they catch it, they can dish out some pretty hefty fines and order you to demolish the whole thing.
>>
>>1190356
deck boat is better, it gives you more room to do stuff, and the only advantage a pontoon boat gives is speed. If you guys just want to hang out ala Tom Sawyer and Nigger Jim, go for the raft.
>>
>>1190356
Use barrels as pontoons fill with spray foam so even if the get a cut, they can't take on water.
>>
I spent most of my childhood summers building stuff like in your pic. In the later years our designs became more and more boat like with a single hull. Big square rafts like in your pic dont manuver well, even with a motor. You can make a hell of a floating dock like that though.
>>
Can we get a pic of how much stuff you got to work with?
>>
>>1190356
Just Make a outriger stabilizer for your canoe...
>>
>>1190643
in california waterways and lakes you need to register anything with a motor but if you use oars or sculling oar or 3to1 trolling hand powered motor you are good AT any size and if you put a sail on it then it needs to be under 8 feet or you gotta register only california and no 2 stroke in certain reservoirs
>>
File: ultraskiff360.png (279KB, 531x302px) Image search: [Google]
ultraskiff360.png
279KB, 531x302px
>>1190356 something you could easily make with the purple insulation foam and some 2x4s
>>
>>1191040
exactly part of my point. Laws and regulations can vary VASTLY depending on watersheds, Federally regulated waters, and state by state. and you really shouldn't just assume it's cool and fine to build some fucking scrap barge.

I know TVA lakes are one of the stricter jurisdictions to play seaman, so it might be a bit unfair to use this as an example, but they have people who patrol up and down the lakes all day, and are intimately familiar with every inch of shore, and all the regular boats. Additionally, they photograph every registered dock every year, and will rek your shit if you make any unpermited changes other than demolishing old shit.

Additional funfact: on Boone Lake specifically, they have not issued permits for house boats for the past 40 years. If you happen to own one, even if it's tiny as fuck at totally rotted out, you can sell it for 100k easily, just for the grandfathered-in permit. there are construction companies there that specialize in total rebuilds, one wall at a time, so that it legally counts as a remodel, not a total rebuild
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UWElJ2O8as
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.