[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

wasp control

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: dammit.jpg (299KB, 1152x720px) Image search: [Google]
dammit.jpg
299KB, 1152x720px
My deck, where I keep my vegetable garden, is a fucking haven for yellow jackets and paper wasps. sure I can give em a blast of bug spray, but I'm looking for a more hands-off approach. I know a local seller of some carnivorous plants, venus fly traps, pitcher plants and sundews, I'm particularly drawn to the pitcher plant, I just have a good feeling about using that one for wasp control. I did some more research on carnivorous plants, and understand the soil, sun, water and food needs, but there's a few problems. First problem, My well's water is quite hard, and our rainwater storage typically gets filled with hose water to compensate for days that lack rain, I have yet to get it's mineral content analyzed, but I want to avoid committing to this if the maintenance is gonna be more effort than just spraying wasps. Second problem, humidity, I live near the great lakes, but I'm not exactly sure if I can just leave a pitcher plant out on the deck to catch wasps or if I'm gonna need to baby it with a spray bottle or (ugh) keep it in a terrarium, which feeds back into the first problem of Maintenance vs effectiveness.

what advice can you give me about using plants to controls pests? If bug-eating plants are a little too far out of my league, what other methods do I have for summer wasp control that are hands-off?
>>
>>1190321
Here is an easier method, hang up a few beer bottles with a bit of jam or honey or something in the bottom.
The wasps will go in to eat the bait but won't be able to get out because the neck of the bottle is too narrow.
>>
>>1190321
Also plants are better for indoors
>>
Burn everything to the ground and start over.
>>
>>1190321
>paper wasps
>vegetable garden
>>
>>1190321
You almost need to actively try to get stung by a paper wasp. They're good for pest control. Leave them alone until winter when you can safely move the nests elsewhere. More will take their place if you have any old wood. I'm assuming you do since there's paper wasps. Get rid of it or at least put a thick layer of paint on it.
>>
>>1190385
Paper wasp is a general category of wasp, he didn't mean specifically the one type of wasp that is the "paper wasp".
It's all wasps that make nests out of wood pulp.
Where I live, in the eastern US, it's shorthand for Yellowjackets and Bald Faced Hornet (which is a wasp, not a hornet).
Both are very aggressive, especially if they're survivors of a disturbed nest, if they have a large nest to defend/backup, near a wasp that has stung or been squished (dead wasps release pheremones that aggravate other ones nearby, so do angry wasps that are stinging) or near the end of the summer when they are desperate for certain types of food.
They can also react to loud noises, electrical fields, certain scents in soaps or perfumes, and certain colors of clothing.

Bald faced hornets usually like to nest a good 20 feet off the ground, but yellow jackets will go every fucking where.

A few solutions for you:
cultivate hornets, the european hornet (vespa crabro) is very non-aggressive to the point people keep them as pets, they eat other species of insect like other wasps, and they are vital for the production of tasty wines. also endangered in some countries because people kill them. They're scary fuckers though, like 3" long.
option two, don't plant plants that will kill them, plant ones that will make them want to avoid the area. mint is an easy one, it's invasive and will spread easily. Wormwood, eucalyptus, and citronella are also supposed to work.
A lot of essential oils (fancy super concentrated oil) will also repel wasps, such as peppermint oil. so basically mix up, and apply with an eyedropper every month or two.
It won't work to get rid of wasps, it will work to make the next batch not want to build a new nest after you kill the old one.

Seal your deck/planters, wasps nest near where they can scrape exposed, weathered wood for fibers for their nests. Paint works well and is easy, but you can use a deck sealer instead.
>>
>>1190321
how are wasps pests? They only eat fruits not veggies
>>
>>1190398
Also, water. wasps like to nest where they can get water close by, because water is heavy to carry back to the nest. They don't need a ton, basically follow the same protocols as mosquito control, get rid of anything that can hold a shallow amount of water (bottlecaps, trays, empty plastic pots), get rid of any ledges that slowly slope into larger pools of water (make sure your birdbath has a steep edge, you don't want to make it easy for them to find a place to stand and drink from, you want one that is awkward for them to do so without falling it, at best), etc. It sounds like you want to put some window screen overtop of your rainwater storage as well.

Most carnivorous plants are a pain, and need to be kept damp. a lot of pitcher plants can just be watered by filling up the pitcher with water though, look into specific varieties.

Soda bottle/beer bottle wasp traps are pretty easy to do and work well to kill off the scouts that will attract new nests. they can also slowly starve a nest if placed nearby because every trip out the workers don't come back.
meat works well as a bait depending on the time of year, and unscented dish soap and water at the bottom.
I've also seen a variation, where someone used a tupperware tray filled most of the way up with soapy water, and a board across it with catfood smeared on the bottom. the wasps would try to get at the catfood and fall in the water, soap means the water goes right into their lungs because no surface tension, so they can't swim out.
a soapy spray bottle is also a good way to kill wasps (flying around, not nests) that usually won't make them aggressive.
Another good way to kill wasps is with a vacuum cleaner. people make filter traps for the wasps, and hook them up between two vacuum hoses, with the wasp entrance on one side and the vacuum cleaner on the other. leave it running for a few hours, the wasps fly away and get sucked in on the way back, can kill the nest with no fight.
>>
>have friendly paper wasps on balcony, because old wood landscaping stuff next to garage has been neglected too long
>condo HOA sends memo asking to report any "hornet" nests
>incorrectly specific reeeeeeee
>do nothing
>continue enjoying my wasps
>>
File: wasp_genocide.png (166KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
wasp_genocide.png
166KB, 1366x768px
>obligatory
>>
>>1190408
i too have wasps that do nothing. free wasp honey cant complain
>>
>>1190414
>Honda lawnmower
>260cc
is that like a blade attachment for your civic?
>>
Microwave them.

https://youtu.be/D1lIi7YmkwE
>>
>>1190321
I hate them, i pumped Liters of chlorine and Hydrogen cyanide in a wall to kill them but it killed only 10%??? More to kill 15-20peps and this shit survive ^^
>>
>>1190990
>free wasp honey

wasps don't collect honey you twat
>>
>>1191363

Dude you've never tried wasp honey before?
>>
>>1191363
>he doesn't know
>>
>2017
>not matthiaswandeling the shit out of these wasps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk52XA4rFpw
>>
>>1191064
Honda generators power many mowers available these days.
>>
>>1191341
DUDE !
This is SICK
>>
>>1191363
Find a wasp nest and sniff it.
>>
How do I keep paper wasps from nesting on my balcony? Is there something I can apply to all their favorite anchoring spots? They'll be around this building as long as some old wood landscaping shit is neglected.

Should I let them keep coming since they're fun to watch and eat other bugs?
>>
>>1192053
>Although wasps feed on insects, and are sometimes purposely introduced by farmers to protect crops as a natural form of pest control, they are also prey for certain bugs. These include the praying mantis, robber flies, dragonflies, centipedes, hover flies, beetles and moths.
If you can't introduce a natural predator I would try hanging imitation predators or imitation predator nests.
>>
>>1192053
>>1193098
http://www.miraclegro.com/smg/goART3/Howto/what-attracts-dragonflies-to-your-garden%3F-miracle-gro/27700052?locale=en_US
>>
>>1191077
That guy has an entire selection of videos of just killing those little shits. He's the hero we need.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.