[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cooling

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

File: TCY-8906-03.jpg (74KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
TCY-8906-03.jpg
74KB, 600x600px
Would it be retarded to run a swamp cooler with a dehumidifier? I am in Taiwan, and the air in my room is extremely humid, so that would seem to eliminate the swamp pump option--that's why I am imaging coupling it with a dehumidifier.

I am in a room that's about 80 sq. ft. There's a suspended ceiling with an attic above. The structure is composed of wood/ sheet metal with no insulation to speak of.

I do have a window unit, though it's older and costly to run. With the lack of insulation, any cold air that I run into the apartment is gone within 10 minutes of shutting it off. This is problematic because spending $2-300/ month to cool this fuck hole is wasteful in more way than one.

I am open to DIY solutions (obviously)/ alternative options.

I was also thinking about the coper wire/ fan solution, but I can't imagine that would be more cost effective. (Simply running more energy to the freezer to make ice.)

I also don't really need a wide reach for the cool air in my already small apartment. I just want an area roughly the size of a queen size bed to be continuously cooled to 27°(+/-1°).

Any ideas would be helpful--I was even considering sleeping in a tent and somehow piping AC in. I just want to be able to sleep without waking up in a puddle of sweat and without breaking the bank.
>>
>>1190260
lol no dehumidifier would be able to keep up
>>
>>1190261
I was thinking about putting the dehumidifier on my sink and then putting the swamp at the other side of the room. But I am guessing 80 sq. ft. is too small for any gains. Retarded idea, sorry.
>>
>>1190262
Taipei is currently at 85% humidity--would a swamp cooler lower the temperature in this kind of environment enough to hit my 27° goal?
>>
>>1190264
if they are in the same building it is just the same as putting them next to one another. swamp cooler won't really work at that humidity btw
>>
You realize that a dehumidifier is basically an air conditioner in a box, right? It's going to cost the same (or more) to run, since it's likely going to run constantly. Air conditioners dehumidify the air too. Your problem is better solved with insulation, or a more efficient window unit.
>>
>>1190279
I've done some more reading and I think that you are probably right.

Are there any alternatives to cooling aside from swamp and traditional systems that would work granted my environment?
>>
Isolating and insulating your sleeping area is the best option, then you mount your window air conditioner in the insulated area (make sure to catch the condensate) and vent the heat out into the apartment (keep those windows open).

The more thermal mass inside the insulated space, the more efficient this enterprise will be, once it's reached operating temperature.

My dad did this for a couple years, during a stint as a long-haul trucker. When he came home, he wanted to sleep in a cool cave in complete darkness, no matter what the time, so he built an insulated box around his bed. Then he surrounded it with sound-insulating panels from old office cubicles, and raised his bed on rubber isolators.

Talking about it makes me want to do it...
>>
>>1190285
Often times, poor ventilation can make a room much hotter than the outside air.

Another thing you can do is to take advantage of static pressure inside the apartment and initiate a one-way flow of air through it. If you can rig up a blower fan (squirrel cage) in one window, blowing in, and another window blowing out, you'll eliminate a lot of heat soaking, and your temperature inside will more closely match the outside ambient temp. That will help the efficiency of your fridge and other appliances that will have to work outside the chilled sleeping space.

This may or may not be possible, depending on your floorplan, but if it is, it'll help.

I'm still trying to adapt my old window blower to work in a patio door on my new apartment. It was so nice on cool evenings to just turn off the AC and pump cool, fresh air into the apartment.
>>
>>1190288
On the AC option--I probably can't move it indoors. I may just move my bed under the AC and then build up insulation around it and my bed. I am imaging a clearance of about 3-4 ft. for head space (sitting up in bed). If I am going this route, is foam a sufficient construction material? Maybe I could just cover my structure in thermal blankets?
>>
File: nl1303-t2.gif (34KB, 400x287px) Image search: [Google]
nl1303-t2.gif
34KB, 400x287px
Wikipedia says relative humidity in Taipei is usually about 75%, so if I can get air flowing in the apartment and equalize it to the outside temps (like in the example with two window fans), then I should ideally be able to get my temp down to 81, right?

New question: Is $200 for a swamp cooler too much?
>>
My window is about 4' tall by 5'' wide but not all of that space is usable. I can pop out the sliding panels to use most of the left two quadrants.

Would it make sense to put one fan in the bottom left quadrant blowing in and one on the top left quadrant blowing out? Or would the gains be too minimal to measure?

I need to generate air movement, and ideally match the temperature/ humidity to outside.
>>
>>1190284
wet towel draped over the back of your neck. does wonders, it's the only way to live.
>>
>>1190260
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9Td5uMB_vQ
Quick solution
>>
>>1190501
>>1190500
A wet towel just isn't enough, my man. And I'm not going to kill myself with dry ice.
>>
>>1190260
WTF just get a mini split, oh and get out of Taiwan, it's a shithole.
>>
>>1190260
Nope. All the heat removed from the air through swamp cooling is put right back into it by the humidifier in addition to the heat it generates on its own.
>>
You're not in Colorado. Stop before you waste money on something ineffective and stupid. If it worked, people there would be doing it already.
>>
>>1190540
*dehumidifer
>>
>>1190480
Is there any other outlet for air out of the room to the outside? One fan blowing in will be enough static pressure (if sealed to the window frame, and the right type of fan) to force the air to exhaust out. No need for a second fan.

If there's not enough physical separation between intake and output, you'll get a lot of mixing happening and it'll take a lot more flow to reach ambient temperature/humidity.
>>
>>1190260
>Would it be retarded to run a swamp cooler with a dehumidifier?
Yes. A better (and HVAC-proven) arrangement would be an AC with an evaporative cooler on the (outdoor) heat rejection side.
>>
Aah, just disconnect the pump... My dad often do it
>>
>>1190584
>AC with an evaporative cooler on the (outdoor) heat rejection side.

They already do this with the water slinging window AC now. Enjoy your biological growth and rust.
>>
>>1190260
Just run the dehumidifier. That will improve your comfort level. Even at the same room temp, dier air is more tolerable than damp.

Also, how hot does your (uninsulated) attic get? Some residences can get uncomfortably warm just due to the heat from the attic's solar gain radiating through the ceiling. Consider improving the attic's ventilation, perhaps with a fan.
>>
>>1190288
Can confirm. I had an apartment that got sweltering but if you opened the living room window and the bathroom window it created enough airflow to where the place actually got chilly at night.
>>
>>1190506
Get a big tub, fill it with ice water, put your feet in it. The cool blood will circulate through your body.
>>
>>1190260

A dehumidifier and an AC unit are essentially the same machine, except the AC unit is designed to vent waste heat outside.

Many portable or wall-mount AC units can run in either AC mode or dehumidifier mode.

This is stupid on so many levels.
>>
>>1190260
There is actually a new air conditioner design that is basically what you described, but it uses a recirculating liquid desiccant to dry incoming air before swamp cooling it. The desiccant is then dried back out using the waste heat from the natural gas fuel cell (which also powers the blower) before being pumped back around to begin again.

So just build that.
>>
>>1190992
>a new air conditioner design
What you describe sound more like a dehumidifier than an air-conditioner.

Do you have a link to it?
>>
>>1190992
Dessicant dehumidifers are nothing new. At lower temperatures, they're much more effective than fridge units.
>>
>>1190805
Another trick, kind of situational but if you have a large window across from a bathroom window to where it'll get a good crosswind, you can fill your bath tub with cold water and just leave it for a few hours, it'll kind of have the same effect, sucking up heat from the air. Turns your whole apartment into a swamp cooler
>>
>>1190264
Swamp coolers are for the desert, Joshua Tree, California reporting in. We're it's 19% humidity right now.

Besides, dehumidifier heat the air as it exits. Your apartment would get warmer not cooler.
>>
>>1190260
It won't be of any benefit. Places with high humidity necessitate phase change ac. Even with the minor difference in temperature removing moisture and adding cooler water, you'd use far more energy than a standard ac unit.
>>
>>1190260
Insulate the walls. If you're renting the place, just tape foam board up over the walls and cut holes where needed.
>>
>>1190260
Not with a pump based dehumidifier, it could work with a rechargeable desiccant based dehumidifier though.
>>
>>1191429
Why would such a setup work any differently with a desiccant dehumidifier? Regardless, I think desiccant is out because I have read that the air coming out of them is very hot compared to compressor units.

>>1190778
I am thinking that the attic gets pretty warm, but venting it is not feasible because it's not sealed off from the stairs/ common area. Thanks for the thought though, I will be paying closer attention to that going forward.

For now, I am probably going to go for a single or maybe dual windows fan blowing in.
>>
>>1191442
No, it does not increase heat when operating, but it does require that you heat it to recharge them, you cant do this outdoors or vent it outside.
>>
A good ceiling fan (doesn't have to be expensive, Westinghouse is a solid budget brand), IMO, is much more effective than a desk or pedestal fan.
>>
>>1190260
>Taiwan
I think you mean Chinese Taipei.
>>
>>1190260

Heat is energy.

Swamp cooler uses a little bit of energy to add water to the air and blow it around. Water absorbs quite a bit of energy to undergo liquid>gas phase change. Overall energy slightly higher, but temperature goes down due to how much of it is in the water vapor.

Dehumidifier uses a shitton of energy to remove water from the air, by extracting energy from water vapor (thus turning it back into a liquid and removing it form the air) and dumping it as heat. Overall energy in the room now significantly higher than it was to start with, and, therefore, so is the temperature.

Plus, in order to have a dehumidifier powerful enough to keep up with a swamp cooler, it would have to be far more powerful than an AC unit big enough to just cool the room outright.
>>
>>1190260
Just get a ductless mini-split system you dumb chink
>>
>>1192995
What we need is an

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Atmospheric_condenser
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.