[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Custom Dirt Bike - 25cc BMX

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: basic.jpg (348KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
basic.jpg
348KB, 1280x960px
Hey /diy/, first time poster so sorry if I'm shit at it but here's the situation

I have an old (Yamaha?) 25cc 2 stroke engine from my old weed eater and an old BMX I never use. If you thought "That could make a great dirt bike" you and I will get along great.
So yes, me and my friend are going to try and attach this tiny little engine to a BMX bike. We have a few things worked out (Engine mount, throttle, basic shit) but I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas to make it better. We're going to direct drive it to the rear wheel since it already has a gear and grab a throttle handle from the scrap yard.

We are a bit stumped on how to make some kind of a clutch because as soon as the engine starts, the bike will start moving and that's no good.

>picture is a basic idea of what we have
>>
>>1188983
Centrifugal clutch obviously.
>>
I did something like this but I used a kit, not sure how that will work out but maybe check out bikeberry or other sites/shops based on motorized bicycles for ideas or parts. Even with a kit it was kind of a bitch to get working but they're a lot of fun
>>
>>1188987
Was thinking this. Just wanted to see if an easier (or cooler) way was available. Centrifugal would take a bit of nigger rigging

>>1188988
Trying to do this as cheap as possible. If I don't already own the part, I wanna be able to get it from my local scrap yard. I'm good friends with the manager of the place so I get the VIP
>>
>>1188983
3d print it obviously, make sure you have a shipping container workshop to do it in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rIIJbDkpN8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVVSeKV7f_8

You should ditch the gas motor and just use a treadmill motor instead, powered off an inverter and a shitload of d cell batteries taped down the length of your bike. Get some calculators and rip out the solar panels from them to help power it so the batteries last longer.
>>
>>1188983
>We are a bit stumped on how to make some kind of a clutch because as soon as the engine starts, the bike will start moving and that's no good.
Assuming the weedeater doesn't already have a centrifugal clutch you could use, I'd recommend using a goped-style spindle drive, which simply engages directly from the crank-mounted spindle to the tire tread on top of the wheel. You could then engage and disengage the spindle simply by tilting the motor up and down.
>>
>>1188983
Not gonna lie bro with only 1 gear and with that tiny 25cc engine your bike aint gonna do shit it the dirt. I have a 66cc with 1 gear and it does alright on flat dirt. With multiple gears it would be a dream, and you can do that with a 200 "jackshaft" kit that runs the engine chain to your bike gears (if the bike has gears). This jackshaft is sold by sickbikeparts (sbk) and i wpuld buy anything you want from them and not bike berry or anyone else. The best two stroke engine is the grubee 66cc. Obviously you arnt trying to spend any money but if you wanna do it right check out motoredbikes.com, they got all the info in the world, they even have a sub forum about weed eater engine conversions!
>>
File: vlad_080[1].jpg (180KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
vlad_080[1].jpg
180KB, 1024x768px
>>1188983
>>
>>1189100
the weed eater did not or that would be perfect.
Tilting the motor isn't exactly an option because the motor is mounted to a plate that we welded to the bike. Thanks for the idea tho

>>1189122
>Obviously you arnt trying to spend any money but if you wanna do it right check out motoredbikes.com
Thanks for the input. If I ever try another project like this I'll give it a shot
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.