[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bicycle DIY repair

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: bike.jpg (39KB, 360x480px) Image search: [Google]
bike.jpg
39KB, 360x480px
As far as I see, glue is needed here. But what kind? The frame is aluminium, so I need something that will work for life here...
>>
>frame
It's the 'seatpost' that's broken. Just buy a new one for $9 on amazon.

It's usually made of aluminum, so you'd need to TIG weld it. No TIG welder is going to do that for less than $9 (or 50 for that matter).
>>
>>1188715
JB weld? Remember to sand both surfaces and remove residues with alcohol before applying.
>>
>>1188751
>need to tig weld it.
Shut the fuck up if you have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

>>1188715
That's a press fit inteface that is usually bonded with a two part epoxy. Clean off the residue on both parts of the fitting, get any metal bonding epoxy you want and put it back together.

I own a bike shop and you see this quite regularly on cheaper seat posts. the fit is usually pretty poor between the two and the bond breaking down from rocking/rotational stresses among other things like heat and cold.

We especially see this a lot more during late fall early spring when people are out riding in freezing weather.
>>
>>1188888
So what you are saying is that the epoxy is inadequate. In your expert opinion, would it be better if it was, say... TIG welded?
>>
I have a problem where when I use my front brakes, the fork starts to resonate in a violent manner. First I thought that the front wheel was loose and that was causing it to shake but that doesn't seem to be the problem.

So now I think the problem is in the joint that attaches the fork to the body. I can feel it moving a little bit when I'm standing and pushing against the front wheel. What could cause it to loosen up? I've tried tightening up all the bolts but no luck.
>>
File: IMG_1172.jpg (30KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1172.jpg
30KB, 500x500px
>>1188715
Just raid your mom's closet for pic related and jam it on the frame. It'll be the best ride you ever had.
>>
>>1188715

Just buy a new one. If you fix it, and it fails again, you could end up with a nasty injury. The size should be engraved into it somewhere.
>>
>>1189349
Go ask /n/. They are pretty good at this stuff.
>>
>>1189338
What I'm saying is that cheap bikes and cheaply made posts are just that, cheaply made. There's a 6 year old chinese kid slathering watered down chink epoxy on parts that I can guarantee haven't been degreased or prepped properly.
>>
>>1188715
Just buy a new seatpost
Fall for the carbon meme while you're at it
>>
>>1188715
Fixed it
Much easier than some epoxy glue + cheaper
Will see if it will hold
>>
>>1189599
Hey if it works it work, but if it starts to get lose epoxy is pretty cheap and you can get it at any hardware store.
>>
>>1189412
In other words, epoxy is an inadequate solution to fix OP's seat post? Gotcha. Would welding it be a more permanent fix?
>>
>>1189395
Thanks, I never realized what /n/ was actually about. I'll go and ask them.
>>
>>1188715
that was press fit.

get a new 1 piece post with guts off ebay
>>
>>1188751
>It's usually made of aluminum, so you'd need to TIG weld it.
You don't need a TIG welser, certainly not for the quality of work that /diy/ usually finds acceptable.
SMAW welding aluminum is a different feel from steel, but it works fine. Get some E4043 stick and go to town.
>>
>>1188715
Please a fucking new seatpost.
>>
i find that when these things actually come loose. Its not a bonding fail but a cracked tube. Ive never seen them loose to just glue fail.

(7 years in a bikeshop).
>>
Find a bike co-op. I volunteer at one and we have a box full of donated seatposts. Might run ya 4 dollars.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.