[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DIY-Etsy horrors

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 19

File: ruined.png (450KB, 846x676px) Image search: [Google]
ruined.png
450KB, 846x676px
Post DIY or Etsy horrors.
>over a century old sewing machine.
>seems to still be in working condition, or easily repaired condition
>cut a hole in the top
>attach $5 lamp fixture

>"The most unique lamp on the market! This lamp was a 1910's Singer Manufacturing Co. G-SERIES Sewing Machine. It has been converted into a working, and beautiful, table lamp."
>>
those are common as hell and already have a suitable hole.
>>
>>1188305
Aw man, that one had perfect decals. What a waste.
>>1188307
Not with pristine Gingerbread decals.
>>
>>1188327
>>1188307
Extremely common here in Scotland where they were manufactured.
>>
>>1188362
They don't do that shit with them tho. Not only is this ugly, retarded af and on Etsy, but, those fuckers weigh a ton - probably cost you same again in shipping.
>>
>>1188362

A G-prefix is not a Scots-made machine. It was made in New Jersey.

Anyway most of the prewar machines were heavily used. This one obviously had little use since the bed decals are completely in-tact. That's the unusual part.

These machines are only valuable if they're in unusually good cosmetic condition. They were made by the tens of millions, but they were made to be workhorses. And they got run hard.

(a 1932 15-91 is my daily driver)
>>
>>1188370
>a 1932 15-91 is my daily driver
My grandmother had a 15-91 her mother bought her back in 1931 when she was 15 years old.

She was a professional seamstress and used it for hours a day, every day, 6 days a week up until the day she died in 2003. I've been using it since.

My daughter is learning how to sew on it and I'm pretty sure this thing is still going to be around when I'm long gone.
>>
>>1188511
They don't make em like they used to, they cant. If shit don't break they will never make another sale again so they design shit to break.
>>
>>1189102
That may be part of it, but to buy a new machine like one of those would likely cost well over $1000 today where you can get an ok modern machine for $65.
Sure it wont last as long, but the average person cant justify spending over $1000 on a sewing machine.
>>
>>1189112
More than $1000? Ha ha ha.... New Singers used to cost more than a car.
>>
File: e_DSC200969.jpg (3MB, 3288x3086px) Image search: [Google]
e_DSC200969.jpg
3MB, 3288x3086px
>>1188368
>probably cost you same again in shipping.
THIS
I've made some bar stools, and I'm trying to sell them on Etsy, but they cost $20-45 to ship, depending on the destination.
>>
>>1188305
I wish mine looked as swank as that one.

>>1189175
Shipping costs don't go up much. They tend to stay within a certain range if you don't mind waiting. The most we've charged was just over $100 for this super heavy, ultra decorative, antique gas stove. We had to build a wood frame and crate for it too. That was shipping from east coast to west coast.

>t. ebay "clerk"
>>
>>1189165
I'm finding conflicting information, but at the time a new Singer would cost about two months wage.
>>
File: rip.png (685KB, 841x694px) Image search: [Google]
rip.png
685KB, 841x694px
>>1188305
They get worse.
>>
>>1188370
I have a similar one with missing parts. Is there a market for them?
>>
>>1189193
That at least is being creative with the shape of the sewing machine. And I'm assuming the dimmer is built into the wheel. So honestly, this doesn't seem to bad especially if the machine was broken in the first place. That being said, OP's pic is downright garbage and ruining a piece of perfectly good machinery.
>>
>>1189193
I hate steampunk shit so much.
>>
>>1189193
This is more creative and uses the machine more effectively but as a thing on its own holy shit is it ugly. It looks like someone stuck an edison bulb in a hair dryer and attached a valve handle they found in a dockyard to the back of it.
>>
>>1189197
Ebay but nobody sews anymore.
>>
>>1188305
>[reee intesifies]
When I worked in custom a/v my boss opened an antiques store upstairs and forced us all to do the manual labor for. She was a greedy bitch. Anyway, she got hold of an antique mass set for catholic preists to travel with. COMPLETE. It was in a wooden box slightly larger than a shoe box lined with purple fabric. Everything fit inside and the cross broke down into three pieces. It was in that store for years till one day somebody came in and wanted the cross only, so she fucking sold it to them. I was mad but she was proud of her profit. Idk what happened to the rest of it.
>>
File: IMG_6223.jpg (64KB, 800x598px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6223.jpg
64KB, 800x598px
>>1189297
Pic related is similar to what she had.
>>
>these old farts getting mad that antiques that would collect dust are being repurposed and loved again

Stay old.
>>
>>1189333
>I'd cut up a pristine 1930 Model A because the headlamps would make a killer bathroom light fixture

>I'd destroy a 1910 LC Tiffany stained glass window because I think one of the fragments would make a nice pendant

>I'd run an uncirculated 1909 VDB through a penny press because I really like that turtle pattern

You're a fag if you don't understand why people are rightfully upset about some dumbass "repurposing" classic items that are in pristine condition, instead of either doing the same thing with actual beater-junk grade items.
>>
>>1189333
>that would collect dust
many people who sew professionally have at lest one of these that they use regularly, even with modern sewing machine technology they're still considered one of the best straight stitch sewing machines of all time.
>>
>>1188305

I can appreciate an antique Singer if all your doing is stitching together a half-assed cosplay, but it cant do serging. Please embrace your plastic injection molded overlord. Thank you.
>>
>>1189478
>but it cant do serging
Well, yeah, only sergers do that. Overlockers like that are single-purpose machines.
>>
>>1189190
>I'm finding conflicting information, but at the time a new Singer would cost about two months wage.
A Singer 101 in 1920 cost $250. A Model T cost $260.
>>
>>1189236
Same category in my mind as "rat rods" soooo many things gave been permanently ruined by retarded hipsters
I was going to do a greentext, but I got too angry to finish it, I like my jimmies unrustled.
>>
>>1189236
Steampunk is fine, great even, when its done right.
This is not done right.
>>
>>1190334
aren't rat rods supposed to be made of stuff that no longer works?
>>
>>1190389
>>1190334
Ratrods were stupid in the first place
>>
>>1190417
I kinda like the idea of welding some pieces of scrap together to form a working chassis and then putting some fuckhuge engine in it.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (267KB, 1118x792px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
267KB, 1118x792px
fucking steampunk jewelry

as I am a watchmaker, my blood boils with anger every fucking time I see stuff like this

>I once saw a similar monstrosity with a vintage vacheron constantin repter movment raped into a steampunk pendant with glued rhinestones
>that movement is worth fucking thousands of dollars even for spares and has taken thousands of hours and insane amount of skills to make
>and then some fucking teenager finds it and fucking glues plastic stuff on it and sells it as steampunk for 50 dollars
>I hope that they all die an agonizing death as punishment for their crimes
>>
>>1190352
This.
>>
>>1190842
That
>>
>>1190841
>buy steampunk shit for 50
>repair/clean easily because professional watchmaker
>sell for thousands
>>
>>1188305
Grandma has one of those. No plastic or electric piece of junk can ever hope to outlast it.
>>
File: 1496883715574.jpg (12KB, 474x473px) Image search: [Google]
1496883715574.jpg
12KB, 474x473px
>>1190352
>>1189236
steampunk is cancer.

>mfw some faggot calls a nixie tube steamcuck
10/10 mad as fuck
>>
File: IMG_0270.jpg (314KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0270.jpg
314KB, 1600x1200px
Melting valuable/rare vinyl records into useless bowls and wall clocks.

Kill them with fire.
>>
>>1190911
REEEEEEE

Why would you do this when every record store in America has easily 200 garbage quality Pat Boone's Christmas records that they'll literally give to you for free. Honestly just print out a label and glue it to the center if the album your bowl is made out of is so important to you.
>>
File: 1307657267-134[1].jpg (30KB, 628x709px) Image search: [Google]
1307657267-134[1].jpg
30KB, 628x709px
>>1190911
>combi crime
I dunno, is melting vinyl not (at least, slightly) toxic? In which case, could be encouraged, esp if using the 'bowls' as ashtrays.
>>
>>1190842
>>1190853
Those
>>
>>1190911
This is normally only done to records that happen to be scratched to shit and also fairly common. I once had a Master of Reality bowl and currently have a Led Zeppelin II clock.

The thing that bothers me is what the fuck do these people do with sleeves.
>>
>>1190974
>once had a Master of Reality bowl and currently have a Led Zeppelin II clock
..post pics of interior?
>dis gon b gud
no, but seriously - wtf anon?
>>
>>1190974
They're usually from thrift store bargain bins so the sleeves are either absolutely ruined or just missing.
>>
>>1190842
>>1190853
>>1190953
These
>>
>>1190841
>I am a watchmaker
thats such a steampunk thing to say
>>
>>1190929
just print out a beatles label and slap it on a Pat Boone's Christmas record and sell it online.

>kicker: beatles music sucks so much their fans wont know the difference and youll get away scot-free
>>
>>1190389
Yes. Rats looked like they did because it was working bits and pieces from othewise ratted, roached, and junked cars. People that take a perfectly fine '33 Ford Coupe and deliberately rat it should be hanged, disemboweled, drawn and quartered. If you happen to have pieces of a dead '33 in your Ratrod, that's different.
>>
>>1189193
Why the hell is it upside down?

>>1190951
That looks pretty cool, and clever too.
>>
File: steampunk gameboy.jpg (2MB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
steampunk gameboy.jpg
2MB, 1536x2048px
>>1189236
>find a typewriter
>tear it apart
>glue the keys to some dumb bullshit
steampunk fags are the worst
>>
>>1191020
-guys are going to hell
>>
>>1190911

My mom did this years ago

Broke my heart
>>
File: goggles.jpg (65KB, 500x379px) Image search: [Google]
goggles.jpg
65KB, 500x379px
>>1191677
THE GEARS
THEY DO NOTHING

This is one of my biggest peeves with steampunk- gluing random gears onto everything. I've seen a handful of things where the gears are functional in some way and that's cool, but even in the context of the general premise of steampunk it's analogous to gluing microchips on everything.

Also people think "steampunks" are some kind of goths even though steampunk is literally a LARP-based 'subculture' that only exists at dumb cons.
>>
>>1190841
This. It's one thing to make something functional in a purposely ornate way, it's another thing entirely to take something functional, engineered to be the way it is, and glue ugly ancillary shit with no purpose on it.
>>
>>1191677
Steampunk at least has some semblance of aesthetic when done right, this looks like absolute fucking garbage though.
>>
>>1189175
NICE CROSSCHAIN SHITLORD
>>
>>1188307
common? shit the chinese are still making them.
>>
>>1189827
no they cost between $11 and $25.
$137 to $278 in todays money
>>
>>1189112
Mfw I'm going to have to drop ~$2000 on a sewing machine and serger/overlocker in the next couple of months. Will have to spend another $1500 on a double needle machine sometime soon too. So much money!
>>
>>1190899
>though nixie tubes are undeniably splendid // they date from long after the age of steam ended
>>
>>1192027
$2000 for a machine and it still wont last as long as an old Singer.
>>
>>1192128
There's an old Singer sitting at my parents' house, flip-table and everything, but the veneer's all peeled to shit and the belt is as perished as the guy who sold it. Are these worth repairing and using? Because getting into textiles is something I've been meaning to do one of these days.
>>
>>1192165
Absolutely, you might want to peak inside and see if it needs cleaning which it likely would but restoration on Singer machines is well documented so it shouldn't be too hard and repainting it with decals is also easy enough to do.

I believe there are ways of turning it into a direct drive machine too instead of belt driven but either way it would be a great machine, a lot of people who sew regularly have an old Singer in their collection since many agree that they're still the best straight stitch machine out there.

Post pictures if you have any.
>>
>>1192165
>Are these worth repairing and using?
If what you care about is cheap, dependable usability, yes.

BTW, nothing wrong with belt-drive, just avoid the really really crappy belts you'll get off eBay that seem like they're made of dried chewing gum and string. I have a couple old Singers in my machine shop, I bought 'em fractional horsepower Bando belts like I'd use on a mill or lathe. They work great, no slipping, dead simple, very little power loss.
>>
File: singer.jpg (100KB, 736x981px) Image search: [Google]
singer.jpg
100KB, 736x981px
>>1192171
Repainting it is probably last on my list of priorities, I'd probably hit it with a wire-wheel and give it a touch of spray-lacquer, but I don't know how that will look with the wood once I've finished it. I really only care about functionality, so I might well stick a lamp-fitting into the top. All jokes aside, I think I'll keep the pedal-power, I get the feeling it will give me better control over my workpiece assuming it isn't underpowered. I hope I can find the keys to the drawers on the side of it. Pic related is the closest I can find to it, except mine has more carvings on it.

>>1192178
Yeah, some sort of machine belt, or even O-ring would make a good belt replacement. The original looks like old leather as opposed to rubber.
>>
>>1192212
>The original looks like old leather as opposed to rubber
It is leather, with a staple to hold the ends together.
>>
>>1192128
Well, $2000 for a walking foot machine and an overlocker, used.
>>
>>1190841
>Glue some gears on it
Tada, steampunk
>>
>>1192212
>Yeah, some sort of machine belt, or even O-ring would make a good belt replacement. The original looks like old leather as opposed to rubber.
Oh, it's a treadle? Didn't realize that. Yeah, the original is a leather belt. You can still get those, they last nearly forever.
I was talking about the early electric machines that weren't direct-drive with a worm gear. They usually had a motor mounted on the back with a small belt going to the hand wheel. Those are the ones I use machine belts on.
>>
File: job.jpg (241KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
job.jpg
241KB, 1920x1080px
>>1190841
also watchmaker, also can't fucking stand steampunk
>>
>>1190841
>>1192844

I went to a Con about 10 years ago with my wife (god we felt old and out of place) and saw the steampunk stuff for the first time, she fell in love with it immediately. I TRIED to like it, I really did. At first it seemed interesting, I love clockwork gadgets and stuff, but it was all the same. Take mundane item, paint it bronze or copper and glue a bunch of gears to it. Or Stick random springs or other crap in it. Zero functionality to any of it, just a thin veneer of old world style. When I talked to my wife about it in front of a booth the large gathering of "steampunk enthusiast" quickly started to lose their shit until we left.
>>
>>1192867
I went to a Con about 10 years ago with my wife (god we felt old and out of place) and saw the anime stuff for the first time, she fell in love with it immediately. I TRIED to like it, I really did. At first it seemed interesting, I love computer animation and stuff, but it was all the same. Take mundane plot, spice it up with fan service, and glue a bunch of uguu eyes to it. Or Stick blood or other edgy crap in it. Zero functionality to any of it, just a thin veneer of cartoony style. When I talked to my wife about it in front of a booth the large gathering of "anime enthusiast" quickly started to lose their shit until we left.
>>
>>1192844
What is your problem guys with steampunk? When it's good made (so without pieces of gears or stupid plastic stuff glued everywhere) it looks absolutely amazing
>>
File: steampunk monitor and keyboard.png (952KB, 1261x596px) Image search: [Google]
steampunk monitor and keyboard.png
952KB, 1261x596px
>>1192867
>Take mundane item, paint it bronze or copper and glue a bunch of gears to it. Or Stick random springs or other crap in it. Zero functionality to any of it, just a thin veneer of old world style.

Not always.
>>
>>1193149
>that pictures
*tips fedora*

It's beyond cringe.
>>
>>1193153
>that post
*tips fedora*

It's beyond cringe.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBPT1pgByqc
>>
>>1193153
That you don't appreciate art doesn't prevent the rest of us from doing so.
>>
>>1192867

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFCuE5rHbPA

Always relevant.
>>
File: scrollsaw.jpg (49KB, 350x454px) Image search: [Google]
scrollsaw.jpg
49KB, 350x454px
>>1193010
It is always based on completely useless nonfunctioning fluff. What makes an actual steam engine or clock or clockwork device beautiful is the form that followed the function, with a little added aesthetic because 100-150 years ago machines were made with a lot of love and it shows.
>>
>>1190911
It's not like you would have ever bought the record so you can enjoy the sound of dust stuck to it. The high bitrate wetted virgin (shut up) recordings you can find if you know where to look are objectively superior.
>>
>>1193269
shitty song structure and the lyrics thoroughly explain he's a boring wanker
>>
File: DeathStarSurfaceCG.jpg (99KB, 630x328px) Image search: [Google]
DeathStarSurfaceCG.jpg
99KB, 630x328px
>>1193328
>It is always based on completely useless nonfunctioning fluff.
You must hate science fiction movies.
>>
>>1189300
As a Catholic who knows the sacramental value of this, I'm fucking mad
Fucking simony man
>>
>>1193337
Greebles have the function of making things look bigger.
>>
File: steampunk.jpg (8KB, 194x259px) Image search: [Google]
steampunk.jpg
8KB, 194x259px
>>1193010
>When it's good made
the problem with steampunk is that it's almost never not just tons of random gears and plastic stuff glued everywhere, assuming it's not just metallic orange paint and calling it a day
>>
>>1190899
EEVlog made a nixie tube subscriber counter to put into his silver play button.
>>
>>1188307
That's no way to talk about your mother.
>>
>>1193010
If you can provide even one picture of steampunk done right I'll be impressed.
>>
>>1192867
Right. I do t hate the concept of steampunk, what pisses me off (grinds my gears, you might say) is how it's invariably done in the most lazy, undiscerning way possible. The premise of steampunk is to imagine a society frozen socially and technologically around the Victorian era but in which engineering progress and innovation continues, right? In such a society people would *use* technology but they wouldn't fetishise it. They wouldn't wear clothes with gear motifs any more than we regularly wear clothes with circuit board patterns. In this society not everyone would wear God damn goggles because - surprise - not everyone would be operating engines personally, least of all the aristocratic ladies who are so overrepresented in the genre. And they certainly wouldn't wear goggles decoratively on a top hat or some such nonsense.

Hipsters piss me off so fucking much. If you're going to indulge yourselves in a geeky fantasy world at least put some fucking effort into it.
>>
File: Abney-Park.jpg (164KB, 1243x671px) Image search: [Google]
Abney-Park.jpg
164KB, 1243x671px
>>1194778
Abney Park is probably the best example of wasteland steampunk because they stuck to the roots of steampunk being a hand crafted thing and because they had a touch of subtlety.

Its kind of sad that their fan base died out since a lot of their fans were the same way but left steampunk when it got over run by people just buying hot topic and ebay tier junk and calling it steampunk.
>>
>>1193149
Yeah but the guy who made all of those died in a car wreck. Used to love datamancer
>>
>>1192844

why do you have all those tiny condoms laid out, clockmakers can't get THAT much action
>>
>>1194825

100% pressed cringe never from concentrate
>>
>>1190841
>I once saw a similar monstrosity with a vintage vacheron constantin repter movment raped into a steampunk pendant with glued rhinestones

dude why didnt you buy it and dip it in acetone to remove the glue and shit? You say pendent so I assume its a wrist watch movement not a pocket. Repeating VC movement? god dammit retard.

god damn i hope this is b8
>>
>>1189193
Ooh God, the Steampunk people are the worst.
One of their crafts is to take old mechanical watch movements and turn them into cuff links and earrings.

God damn you, you fucking punks.
>>
>>1192844
what are the tiny finger condoms for?
>>
>>1190911
Vinyl is shit anyway
>>
File: IMG_0302.jpg (961KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0302.jpg
961KB, 3264x2448px
>>1190980
You can kind of make out the scratches in it. Although in all fairness the clock mechanism broke and it just became a wallet/keys/phone/change bowl after the fact. I did make a point of inspecting the then-clock to see that it was definitely scratched.

I no longer have the Master of Reality bowl because my old house burned down, but it was in the same type of condition.
>>
>>1189102
"Planned Obselesance" i learned that term in middle school and i keep getting reminded of it daily because of that.
>>
>>1190974
>The thing that bothers me is what the fuck do these people do with sleeves.
What DO people do with sleeves? I've seen them glued/tacked to walls, but that's about it. Nothing really that offensive.
>>
>>1195779
Did you learn how to spell it in middle school too?
>>
>>1195759
"I can't quit you baby"

A fitting end for LZ on LP
>>
>>1188305

Why the hate? Seems like an excellent addition to the sewing machine. I would probably have a hole on the side and fitted a calculator to it instead, but the lamp is also a great idea.
>>
>>1193010

>what's wrong with steampunk

kys yourself.
>>
>>1195979
>bonham's squeaky pedal
Thread posts: 107
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.