[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What saw for small furniture and little space?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

I'm trying to make some small tables for my apartment instead of buying them. Most of the wood I'll buy will be s4s since I don't have room or money for a planer so a true clean cut is what I'm after.

What kind of saw should I go with?

Circular, Jig, Compound Miter, Portable Table? I don't have room for a full size table saw and would need to move it between my storage room and outside to use. Once I get a house I'll get a table saw but what would be most versatile for now.
>>
>>1188303
bow
>>
>>1188303
festool domino
>>
Hand
>>
Radial arm saw
>>
File: AnimuNowYouListenToMe.jpg (76KB, 448x628px) Image search: [Google]
AnimuNowYouListenToMe.jpg
76KB, 448x628px
>>1188310
>>1188315
>>1188324
>>1188328

Hmm....

Anyway, OP, you want a circular saw. A miter saw is great but you would be limited to only doing crosscuts on stock less than 6"-12" wide, depending on the saw. A circular can do precise cross and rip cuts by using a straight edge as a guide, and can also cut larger sheet material like plywood if you need.
>>
>>1188303
If space is a concern you will want to use hand tools. Also, s4s wood is roughly planed, not finish quality. You will have to sand it a fair amount. A random orbit sander is the best general purpose sander if you only have space/money for one. Unless you plan on hand sanding everything, which is fine too.
>>
>>1188351
Thanks. What do you think of something like the Bosch CS5 7.25" left handed circular saw? It's $115 and comes with a 24t blade I'd likely replace.
>>
>>1188364

Sure that one is supposed to be decent. I have other Bosch tools and they're all well made.
>>
File: f150.jpg (539KB, 2000x1126px) Image search: [Google]
f150.jpg
539KB, 2000x1126px
>>1188361
I already got a 5" random orbit sander from Makita. Also have some wood chisels, drill, pocket hole jig, a variety of clamps, hand miter saw and box that will fit maybe 6" wood, more hand saws, bunch of hand tools.

The next things on my list were a powered saw of some kind, router, jig saw, block plane, jack plane. I figure eventually I will get a nice table saw, sliding miter, and so on but I just wanted to pick the most versatile one to start with.
>>
>>1188303
I lived in an apartment and did this too.

My advice is join a hacker space/ work shop/ tech shop.

If none of those are options. A small chop/miter saw, compound is nice but a sliding dual bevel ia best but large., a track saw (featool if you have cash, or dewalt, ) and a biscuit cutter or domino cutter ( if you have the cash to burn).

If you cant do the track saw get a circular and a edge guide.

Lastly get a Centipede work station and a shrrt of 4x8 x2" blue foam. It will make a perfect, collapsing work station and cutting table.
>>
File: Kariwaku333.jpg (14KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Kariwaku333.jpg
14KB, 600x600px
>>1188303
>true clean cut is what I'm after.
Pic related is all you'll ever need for home use
>>
>>1188535
freaking japan, it is a freaking bread knife
>>
File: sts.jpg (12KB, 179x170px) Image search: [Google]
sts.jpg
12KB, 179x170px
>>1188303
Dude, I've made a desk like these in the pic and I did it with a jigsaw. Maybe YOu need some training, but the bunch of different sawblades offers You a maximum of flexibility. You can saw nice straight and also arcs and circles without need of another tool. Best handling has a model like in the pic and You need small space to store it in Your appartment. Fuck a circular saw, it's not flexible. Buy a solid tool to draw correct right angles, so You will do a good work with the jigsaw
>>
>>1188590
>Fuck a circular saw, it's not flexible.

If all your cuts are straight cuts, this is an advantage, not a disadvantage.

I have nothing against jigsaws but the reason to buy one is curved or circular cuts, or small pocket cuts. It doesn't sound like he's going to need that.
>>
>>1188630
>I have nothing against jigsaws
why? it is wobbly it is nearly impossible to make perfect straight cuts.
It is only good for quick/curved cuts that doesn't require precision
>>
>>1188636

Sure, you can make straight cuts with a good jigsaw. But you do have to be more careful and/or use a good guide. Which was my point -- why bother with jigsaws if you're only going to cut straight cuts?
>>
>>1188303

Since I put in my three wheel bandsaw, my delta unisaw and radial arm saws have seen very little use.

One bandsaw with a big as fuck table will do resaw work, rough stock cuts, and finishing work.

If I had limited space It'd be a bandsaw.

Then puta a belt/disc/shaper combo on one side of a table that flips 180degrees to house a planer.

thas the whole workshop unless you do ALOT of miter cuts. then replace band with a radial arm
>>
>>1188535
This for hand tool.

Otherwise circular saw with a fence.
Your first project should be a track.
>>
>>1188391
What a beautiful truck.
>>
>>1188590
>>1188630
>>1188639
>>1188927
Well anon needs best value for money, so a saw that will let him cut curves also is better value. Also smaller than tablesaw @ space.

Also a jigsaw can plunge cut in the middle of a board or tabletop if he wants to add something like a drop in slate tile breadwarmer.

You would definitely want a guide for it, but that's basically gluing plywood/melamine to a straight board, and riding the jigsaw against the board to get a cutoff line on the plywood. then clamp to tabletop and cut.

Also also, a jigsaw will let him do rounded corners on the tabletop if wanted.

>>1188904
I second a small bandsaw, although I will say I much prefer the 10 inch to the 12" 3 wheel I had. much less of a hassle when I change out the blade. Also, I've heard the blade lasts a lot longer because it flexes less with a bigger radius wheel. If you do, setup a shopvac for dust collection, and run an exhaust hose from it out the window instead of trying to deal with filtration at all.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.