[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mesothelioma

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: drywall-panels.jpg (23KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
drywall-panels.jpg
23KB, 400x400px
So I put in a new air conditioner in an old building I live in(built in the late 40s) ,knocked a bunch of old drywall out and fiberglass without a mask in a hurry. Whats the chance of inhaling asbestos with old drywall?, am I gonna die 20 years early because I inhaled some old dust from the 1940s?
>>
Now I'm worried about stuff behind the hole I just kicked in my place, built in 1969. Does asbestos ever look like pink fiberglass? Why bother with insulation between a condo's bedroom and living room? There's one thermostat for piped heat, and only one wall air conditioner is allowed, for external uniformity.
>>
File: you_are_already_dead-nhmb4.jpg (27KB, 640x432px) Image search: [Google]
you_are_already_dead-nhmb4.jpg
27KB, 640x432px
>>1187586
100%
>>
File: o.jpg (64KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
o.jpg
64KB, 750x1000px
>>1187590
From what I understand asbestos was only used around heating ducts in old wall heaters(not my pic) to a ceiling, i don't know if it's in old drywall/insulation, that's why I made this thread. The stuff that I pulled out of the wall was fiberglass/old newspaper from the 40s.
>>
>>1187597
>So how do you know if there’s asbestos in your drywall?

If your home or work site was built from the 1950s through the 1980s, there is a very strong likelihood that asbestos is in the drywall. It was added to drywall to make it more noise absorbent, improve fire resistant capabilities and to make the drywall stronger. Even once it was no longer in common usage for new home and commercial construction, the drywall already in place was still there and still contains the toxic fiber.

oh well, I guess I fucked up.
>>
>>1187586
What's the point of worrying that now, after the exposure? Think it before you start.

It is highly unlikely to get any observable effect from a single, relatively small exposure. If it causes something, somewhat impaired lung capacity would be your best bet.
>>
>>1187603
I just wanted an opinion,because every bit of info is hit and miss, I was taught to man up about stuff like this from my father being a landlord...lead pipes, asbestos, lead paint, all this stuff is bullshit to him because my grandfather lived with it and lived to be 83.
>>
>>1187612
>taught to be a cheap fuck and a retard from a slumlord

How surprising
>>
>>1187612
It is a well-known fact that asbestos is harmful. You know, kinda like smoking: smoking regularly will damage your health and you might even get cancer. Even then, smoking one cigarette or even a pack does very little damage and panicking after inhaling a bit of smoke is silly. On the other hand, pointlessly exposing yourself to that shit isn't smart either.

> grandfather lived with it and lived to be 83.
It took decades of research to to get a decent picture of the hazards associated with inhaling asbestos. Same with lead. Everyone knew full well that lead is a poison in large quantities, but showing that even small amounts mattered required a lot of research. Large part of that research involved statistical analysis of large amounts of data, which wasn't possible earlier.

To put it differently: if the effects had been so obvious that your grandfather's age would be a valid argument, lead and asbestos would've been banned ages ago.
>>
I wouldn't stress about it too much. The people who got mesothelioma worked with in in factories chronically and had no understanding of the dangers becuase the producers of it knew before hand and hid the dangers. If your concerned I would hire an inspector to test your home air quality.
Remeber asbestos itself is just a silica mineral. It's not chemically poisonous/carcenogenic like lead or PCBs. It's the fibers you need to look out for.

if it's drywall asbestos then it's going to be bonded to the plaster or gypsum board where it's not going to be a huge hazard. It's the insulation and flaky shit you need to be worried about.

Case in point there was a controversy with asbestos in crayons as an emusifier. Becuase it was basically bonded with the crayon wax there is no way you could've harmed yourself becuase I couldn't flake or splinter. It was still taken out because of the notaritiy of asbestos.
>>
>>1187597
You understand wrong.
>>
>>1187586

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure you need some pretty serious contact to get mesothelioma, otherwise carpenters and plumbers and other tradesmen would be dropping like flies.

That said, any time you're busting shit out in old buildings you should wear a mask.
>>
Well I crawled through an attic space filled with the stuff back in the 80's as a kid and I don't have cancer. A friend wanted to check it out and me being a dumbass at the time agreed. Ended up spying on some chick in the bathtub. Shit was pretty cash!
>>
>>1187586

If you smoke, I would consider quitting immediately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU6v3RRzxCU

Smoking anytime after you have had an exposure to Asbestos will significantly increase your chances of getting Asbestosis.

Consider talking to your Doctor if you need help quiting.

GOOD LUCK.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.