[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Painting my motorbike

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 7

File: Before-After.jpg (2MB, 1488x2040px) Image search: [Google]
Before-After.jpg
2MB, 1488x2040px
A while ago I moved from a big city to a small town and I needed something cost efficient and possibly fun way to get around.
It's a Taiwanese CPI sm 50, so the quality of the plastic is not the best and the previous owner had already painted it once.
As I put it away for the first night I made the mistake of running the chain lock over the back plastic panel and the chain's weight made an already present crack on it far worse. There were other flaws already on it as the previous owner seemingly fell with it on it's left side but they covered it up decently. This gave me the final push to do a makeover, I bought quality matte black and matte white acrillyc spraypaint. I plan to remove all the plastic elements this afternoon and sandpaper them doing a patient and even work.
As I was doing a photoshop concept how would it look I fucked up the white balance, so it got a beige tint. As I showed it to my friends they agreed that it would look better in beige than white. After work I'm gonna go to the shop and buy a beige spray as well. As this is a low budget project I plan to buy strong plastic adhesive for the cracked back panel, fill it then do the sandpaper / paint over it instead of hunting for a new piece, it will be as it will be at the end.

Please share your advice and tips, this is my first /diy/ project, I will update the thread as I go in the following 1-2 days.
>>
File: i-7GVDvwV-L.jpg (83KB, 800x451px) Image search: [Google]
i-7GVDvwV-L.jpg
83KB, 800x451px
>>1187567
Painted plastic looks nice for about 2 days.

I would buy a new set of plastics, they're not that expensive and they're easy to replace.
If your'e dead set on cheaping out, use an old soldering iron to plastic-weld the crack back together. Epoxy doesn't hold for long.

If you want something more customized, do a vinyl wrap, >pic related. It'll hold up a lot longer, and as an added bonus it does add some strength to cracks. If you lay it down and fuck up the wrap, the pieces you fucked up can be reprinted.

Even contact paper, laid on and gone over with a heat gun to work out the bubbles and get the adhesive to stick, would look better for longer than paint will.

t. ride and race snowmobile and moto/dualsport.
>>
Painting plastic is 99% prep work 1% painting.

Sand with 600g to rough it up
Coat with primer
Sand with 1000g, making the surface smooth, paint won't hide blemishes.
Light coat of paint
Light coat of paint
Light coat of paint
Buff the paint if you need, probably not necessary if you did good
A few layers of clear to make it last forever.

To be honest, spend a decent amount on clear coat, and not too much on paint. Nothing worse than yellowing or soft clear coat.
>>
File: 20170603_103036.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170603_103036.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>1187570
Yeah, I kinda want to do it the cheap way, but it does not mean I want to rush it or be careless, I had something like >>1187571 said in mind.

Here is the back which is in the worst condition.
>>
>>1187571
OP here again, for drying the paint I plan to leave it for a couple of hours in non-direct sunlight under a garden table under a plastic foil to avoid collecting any dust or pollen, etc. I know it says 20 min to dry but from others experience I think it will work best if I leave 4-5hrs between thin layers to dry.
>>
>>1187567
dont you need a powder coat? I know you can powder coat plastic these days though the technique is a bit different
>>
>>1187609
It's a bit out of my reach, I'm just aiming for the best DIY home result with proper preparation and finish. It can't be much worse than it is now.
>>
>>1187611
its easy to do at home, ive done it for similar sized things (in terms of parts, so like 50cmx50cm). If you dont want to do it yourself you could alwayslook for a shop. If not id imagine after painting youd need a laquer coat
>>
>>1187614
Yes, I'm getting matte lacquer today as well.

I'm still undecided between matte white and matte beige for the primary color...
>>
>>1187615
if its a beige like your op pic tis nice but hit and miss in person. Whites more standard i guess but its your bike.
>>
File: LRM_EXPORT_20170603_141027.jpg (2MB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
LRM_EXPORT_20170603_141027.jpg
2MB, 1536x2048px
Whew lad, poor guy took a beating... At least I got it cheap and the engine and parts are in good condition.
>>
File: 20170603_164128.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170603_164128.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Starting with a simple and geometrically not too complicated piece on the right side of pic related.
>>
File: 20170603_170745.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170603_170745.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>1187676
I have to use smaller grain sandpaper from here I assume to get an even surface.
>>
>>1187678
That piece looks ruined. You aren't polishing a tree stump. Start with ~400 grit, not 40.
>>
>>1187681
Agreed, those gouges are going to show through the paint. He'd need to run some body filler over it and sand it with some 600 wet/dry to restore that to paintable.

OP, stop now, go look up how to paint prep with sandpaper and stop fucking up your panels.
>>
>>1187690
Totally right, my luck is that this panel intended to be black and I have some carbon film lying around at a friend's so I adapted the workflow, now these panels will be carbon textured..
>>
File: 20170603_184351.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170603_184351.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>1187678
>>1187681
>>1187690
>>1187695
Considering what's good for the project and the bike itself I have to continue next week when my friend with the carbon film and grand amounts of more experience in painting will be in town, I doubt the thread will be alive, but about a week from now I will post an update.
>>
>>1187678
Holy fuck dude did you sand that piece with a wire brush or some shit?
>>
Bump for this guy.
>>
>>1187678

Oh geez. Uh, anon you may want to switch to a different choice of paint. Maybe spray on truck bed liner. The texture of it will hide your crimes.

>>1187571
>To be honest, spend a decent amount on clear coat, and not too much on paint. Nothing worse than yellowing or soft clear coat.

This is good advice. It's a lesson that took me a while to learn because I was a penny pincher pinching pennies in suboptimal way.
>>
>>1189564
>spray bed liner

You know, Personally I think that would look pretty good. They can do that stuff in just about every color, I bet there is a place around you that can do a small job like that with a tan spray for a low price. Maybe prep some spots on the frame, hit the underside of the body/fender with same color or black to resist chips.

bed-liner spray would also stiffen up/strengthen the plastic a good bit. Well, it would add a new, tough plastic layer on top, similar result though.
>>
>>1189551
>>1189564
>>1189569
OP here, the pieces will go to my friend's place this weekend, He'll help me recover my fuckup and we'll proceed to properly paint the bike, as soon as we made progress I'll update the thread.
>>
Why?
>>
>>1189748
Because he has lots of fillers, painting tools and a selection of carbon films and other stuff I don't have with me here. I underestimated the preparation and proper tools needed to make this properly, I do not want to fuck up the pieces beyond repair, he's experienced in this so with his help even the side panel I fucked up preparing will look nice.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.