[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /diy/ know about killing weeds?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 8

File: clover-ugly-1416353605.jpg (47KB, 500x328px) Image search: [Google]
clover-ugly-1416353605.jpg
47KB, 500x328px
What does /diy/ know about killing weeds?
>>
battery acid
>>
The problem in that picture isn't the clover, it's the bare patches inbetween. Put some strong grass seed down and cut the lawn before the clover can flower, nobody will notice it isn't all grass.
>>
>>1187401
Boiling water.
>>
>>1187401
Weeds are a social construct, and clover is good to have for a few raisins. Just add some grass seed.
>>
File: n57nn.jpg (27KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
n57nn.jpg
27KB, 400x225px
>>1187401
I pull them out by hand because I've been practicing proper lawn maintenance for a few years and I enjoy birb and the occassional stray fluffer.
>>
Lawn seed used to have clover deliberately added. It nitrifies soil so you don't need to fertilize (assuming you're mulching and not bagging) and attracts pollinators that are good to have if you're gardening at all. (((They))) started telling you clover is a weed because they couldn't get the herbicide they wanted to sell you to not kill it, and a cloverless also makes you dependent on their fertilizer.

Some opt for 100% clover where no foot traffic is expected. It's less tolerant of that than grass, but doesn't need mowing.
>>
>>1187401
>What does /diy/ know about killing weeds?
Don't use casoron on grass. It claims to be only a pre emergent but it still kills the fuck out of established grass.

I kinda want to make a little solar powered robot that slowly drives around and kills weeds. Got me a gps that's good to 0.5cm within 500 meters of a base station. Could spool up a nural net shits on a computer in the house to decide what needs killing and what doesn't. Would be fun but I've been too lazy to actually do it.
>>
>>1187432
The problem is that the white flower look bad. I'd be all for some clover since it grows so well but it just looks meh
>>
>>1187401
weeds are opportunistic and will only take over if you give them a chance. basic maintenance will prevent them.

fertilize the soil (rake in manure), re-seed, and water regularly. trim once the grass is over 3 inches.

The grass grows faster and thicker than the weeds and clover. it will crowd out and kill the weeds. take care of the grass, and it will take care of the weeds.
>>
>>1187462
Looks better than a plain grass lawn.
>>
>>1187472
>(rake in manure)
That's an excellent way to get all sorts of weeds in your grass, your clearly just a fagot larping as someone who knows this stuff, but really you don't know shit about shit.
>>
>>1187484
not sure if trolling or just an idiot.

It doesn't necessarily need to be manure, but some sort of bio material to act as a turf builder. And the worst I've ever got with manure is rogue alfalfa growing in my lawn.

either step up and contribute, or get the fuck out of /diy/
>>
>>1187401
if thats your lawn, then do this:

Spray a selective herbicide (2-4-D) to kill the broadleaf weeds

Fertilize with 19-0-5 fertilizer or as close as you can come

aerate and overseed the lawn with a turf type tall fescue in the early fall

Lime and potassium apps in late fall.

repeat with crabgrass pre-emergent in spring
>>
>>1187401
If that's the lawn you're dealing with then you're not in too bad of shape honestly. You're just dealing with a diminished soil biome.

The house I bought was shit in terms of the lawn. It was worse than what you're sitting on in that picture. Plenty of brown dead plants and green-ish woody type weeds.

Weeds thrive in barren and poor soils. The first step is to enrich the soil to make a better place for grasses and more pleasant plants to grow. Grasses grow faster than weeds and do a relatively good job at competing for resources.

The first step I took was to spread compost from my municipality. $14 for a truckload and I broadcast the entire truckload right on top and started a watering schedule. I didn't water heavily. Just enough to get some soaking in on a regular schedule, and to help wash the compost down.

Once the green started to overtake the compost I stopped watering. That fall I repeated another compost broadcast. After this one I started to see a lot more green and patches of grass developing.

The next spring I broadcast another batch of compost at the start of the grass cycle and it exploded. quite a few weed varieties were getting choked out. And the yard was significantly more resilient to the summer heat compared to neighbors lawns who were using much more water than I was.

That fall and the following spring I repeated more compost and haven't touched it since. The yard isn't a mono-culture uniform magazine photo lawn. It's got all sorts of varieties of plants and leafy greens mixed in with three dominant different varieties of grasses. It's green, lush and vigorous. It stays green in the summer despite me not watering one drop on the front lawn and it looks absolutely unremarkable.

You can clearly see the seasonal procession in the dominant plants and I like that. Each variety specializes in a certain thing and that procession is healthy.
>>
>>1187548
The only thing I do to actively maintain it is to watch how fast the grass is growing. In my area when it takes 8 days for the lawn to "need" to be mowed I do one more final mow down. It's at this point where the clover and some broadleafs are doing more growing than the grass. after that mow I leave the yard alone.

The clover will reach 4-6" and go through it's flowering cycle. The clover itself grows in thick enough to really protect the yard and keeps it from dying back in the heat.

Once the clover seeds and drops, and the second season clover starts to die back at the end of summer I'll mow down again. Some of the broader leafed greens take over along with the young clover. In another month when it starts raining again I'll return to regular mowing.
>>
You should add some dandelion because it's good for eating :D
>>
Undiluted, stale urine is said to be good for weed killer. Diluted it becomes a fertilizer.
>>
File: Hoe.jpg (54KB, 1326x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Hoe.jpg
54KB, 1326x1200px
>>1187401
>>
>>1187432
This. Heard it from my grandfather to always sow half grass/half clover, one depletes nitrogen, the other replenishes it, you always have a green yard. Just cut it sooner, before it flowers, or let the neighborhood kids come make necklaces and bracelets out of it. Laugh at them when they get stung by a bee. A perfectly manicured, nothing but perfect grass yard is boring as fuck, and it screams old retired guy and/or wife that he just can't be around anymore.
>>
You need more than weed killer. It looks like you badly need to aerate, This is esentially stabbing holes into the lawn to combat compact soil. and you will likely have to reseed. The best time to do this is spring and fall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h40MiUFUd2U

You don't need to buy or rent a huge machine I just use a hand held one. I just move it forward and step on it.
>>
>>1187594
the chip analogy is a bad one.
>>
>>1187401
Dig the larger ones out with a knife or other sharp tool.....
Then either burn them with a propane torch or spray them with weed killer or some other chemical of your choice.

A good mix for pathways, drives.... Is bleach and weed killer because the bleach makes is just that little bit shinier.
>>
what is weed though, as long as it is green I am sold.
I used to be pure grass racist/fetishist but that is too much time consuming
>>
Smoke them.
>>
>All my yard is bermuda
>Nothing but bermuda will grow
>My garden is constantly being invaded by this vine grass
>>
>>1188131
>don't know anything about crabgrass because my yard is 90% shade
>didn't know it was a vine grass
>root system can go 6 feet deep
>there's a variety that randomly decides to produce cyanide
Why
>>
Or just plant more clover:
http://sustainableseedco.com/new-zealand-clover.html?gclid=CPS3qIP0pNQCFUFrfgodwmYCOw

This variety is more tolerant of foot traffic and set your mower at a higher setting, so that the lawn is three inches high.
>>
>>1187462

so mow the fuckers down, the shit is heartier than grass.
>>
>>1187484
There are weed seeds literally everywhere you can find them, it doesn't matter what you do. Even tilling and raking the soil down will bring up dormant weed seeds. You want the grass to grow and take over these weeds and build a thatch layer of roots, soil and plant material. This will suffocate everything but the clover and grass because they are incredibly resilient.
>>
ants love to eat weed seeds, you can either pick one or pave that shit
>>
File: DSC05703.jpg (3MB, 2816x2112px) Image search: [Google]
DSC05703.jpg
3MB, 2816x2112px
Do what I do faggots:
Cut the lawn no shorter than 2 1/2. 3" if its hot to keep out crab grass

Use a broadcast application of 2,4D 3 way mix if you lots of weeds.

Fertilizer, moss control/power rake if you have moss then aeration and reseeding

Cut and mulch the clippings, no need to bag them

ProTip I do 6 figures for 7 months of work per year.

Photo plus timestamp is MY current lawn
>>
>>1188337
No.

Leave the cut high enough to shade the soil.

Warm soil helps weed seeds esp crab grass germinate

>>1188175
Clover only works for low traffic areas.

Also you dont want to walk barefoot on cloverfields full of bees

>>1187594

Absolutely aerate your lawn unless you have lots of shallow rock in your like mine
>>
>>1188172
Huh explains the dead deer and squirrels every now and then...
>>
>>1187401
Dude weed lmao
>>
>>1188373
No, I posted a hardy trample resistant variety... very walkable. I have yet to step on a bee.
>>
>>1187401
That evolution gave us everything we need to kill it. Except for the poison, you gotta buy that.
>>
>>1187412
I'd hope not. Clover is the best thing you can have in dirt as it adds nitrogen
>>
>>1187401
Bug sprayer. Fill with deisle. Spray yard. In about 1 week nothing is alive.
>>
>>1187401

"Weeds" is nothing but a marketing term created by people in a boardroom who want you to buy their product (a solution) that kills "weeds" (a manufactured "problem").
>>
File: gettyimages-674732943.jpg (365KB, 620x413px) Image search: [Google]
gettyimages-674732943.jpg
365KB, 620x413px
>>
>>1188833
ummm, no.

Weeds is a term for a plant growing in an undesirable location.
>>
Why not let the better adapted plants take over instead of wasting resources for emotional reasons?
>>
>>1187462
i have lots of clover in my yard, i just mow down the flowers ez pz
>>
Sod over it. Make sure its a good thick root base on the sod and lay right over that crappy lawn. the lack of light and dense roots from the fresh sod will kill all the shit under it. No chem required.
>>
>>1188712

It's the only way to be sure.
>>
Lots of good advice here.

However if you get wild violet, then you might as well just give up and move. Chicago fag here and wild violet will laugh at your puny herbicides. Sure the leaves will turn a wee bit yellow after you saturate it with 24d, but 2 weeks later they will cock slap your lawn even worse.

Thanks to the farmers, these weeds are almost 100% herbicide resistant and their roots are like carrots. They are practically almost designed in an East German lab to destroy healthy lawns.
>>
Around spring, apply a heavy application of nitrogen fertiliser and give it a water-in. The extra nitrogen will cause the grass to grow madly over the next few weeks, while clover/weeds will be in shock from the excess. Don't ever cut the grass shorter than about 40mm, and after you've cut the first time after all the nitrogen fertiliser, walk around and hit any weeds that are still competing with the grass with roundup.

Also buy a mower that doesn't use a catcher, get a mulching mower.
>>
>>1191043
Call me crazy, but I like the purple flowers. They go very nicely with the wild strawberries next to them in my yard. Green can get so boring!
>>
>>1187574
why did you put up a picture of your mother?
>>
>>1187401
I usually set my lawn on fire. That tends to work.
>>
>>1188833
i think this started when people decide that the private area around their house should be comfortable. i for one dont like a field of plantain, thistle, and dandelion to walk through. i would rather have clover and zoysia
>>
>>1188995
Sounds like something THE MAN would say.
>>
File: DSC05709.jpg (3MB, 2816x2112px) Image search: [Google]
DSC05709.jpg
3MB, 2816x2112px
>>1191043
Wild violets, wild strawberries, speedwell can be controlled by tri mix

2,4 D plus Dicamba and Mecoprop

>>1191188
I am a Man, The Weedman.

Proof attached
>>
>>1191200
So you're one of the assholes that killed all the bees...
>>
Weed is a term used by uncreative people who think grass is a good thing.
>>
>>1191347
People who don't own property and don't understand the relationship between the value of property and visual appeal should stay the fuck out of these threads.
>>
>>1191240
Herbicides and Insecticides are two different tyes/

weak b8 m8

>>1191365
amen
>>
>>1187401
Spectracide Potassium Nitrate from Walmart or LOWES, also known as Stump Remover
>>
>>1187401
Threatened bumblefluffs eat that stuff, and you just care about having muh 50's unused patch of land? Pleb-tier desu.
>>
>>1191483
Do you use glyphosate?
>>
>>1191365
Why would I care about the "value" of my property if I'm not intending to sell?
>>
File: IMG_20170525_182132.jpg (4MB, 4208x2368px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170525_182132.jpg
4MB, 4208x2368px
>>1187401
I'd mulch it once, wait and water for at least two/three weeks then mulch again and seed some grass mixture. With the two mulches you force the weed seeds to grow and you will kill them in process sou you will seed grass in weed-seed-free substrate. Then sprinkle a lot of water and fertilizer and there you go.

Pic related
>>
>>1191647
3rd worlder detected.

There's this thing called pride: pride in one's self, pride in one's family, pride in one's home, pride in ones community.

"Value" may not be the dollar amount of the property, but may be the amount of hard work invested into the land and pride one has in his home and property.

but 3rd worlders (including spics and niggers) don't understand this. they just let it all go to hell.
>>
>>1191735
There's no pride in the people who cut their babies foreskin, have the highest divorce rate, kick their children out of their home at 18, and wall up their neighborhood because some developers put up fences to to charge more to bring in suckers like you that think it adds security. For all your projection, you seem to forget 3rd worlders being proud of anything and everything is their most common trait, and take three wild guesses who you sound most similar to.

You just sound like a poorfag trying to pretend any home is an asset, when all you're doing is fighting against literal weeds and probably your neighbors to desperately hold on to equity and maybe stave off your suicide attempt a few years more from the weight of buyer's remorse. That sounds closer to the truth, considering all these abstracts and self affirmation you're pulling to convince yourself and others.

Pride in one's community, this guy says. What a poser. In locations where ,"pride in one's community" matters, they'll have that sorted out before you even moved in and have a maintenance fee included.
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.