[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Im going to make a computer case because Im unhappy with the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: diypc.jpg (401KB, 1500x1360px) Image search: [Google]
diypc.jpg
401KB, 1500x1360px
Im going to make a computer case because Im unhappy with the corsair 300r i have. I know its fairly easy to make one out of wood, but metal, thats something thats thinner, better at disipating heat and is overall nicer looking when powdercoated. How hard is metalwork for one, ive never done it before. And two can i get some layout advice? Im looking at current cases that all follow the same design trend. I dont mind blocking off the pcie and pci slots on my motherboard as long as the top two are available (gpu and wifi card). The main thing im looking at is easy access to hard drives, coolness (cold) and silence. So for hard drives especially Is there a way to have some sort of stable sata+power connector that wont move when a drive is taken out from it, OR is there a way to add a switch between the power and route it to the front near the drive? Also with the gpu, it runs decently loud, so is it possible to mount a different style of cooler to it? Probably using noctua fans i imagine on a 212 or something
>>
>>1186998
Sheet metal brake + spot welder.

Spot welding aluminum requires a good spot welder, so use thin steel.

You could tig weld together thin sheet metal but then you need a good tig welder ($500).

sheet metal brake + thin gauge steel + $100 harbor freight spot welder

Let the tongs cool down before you unclamp them from the metal or it will pop a divot of metal out of the weld and look like garbage.

also let the tongs cool before starting on the next weld, industrial spot welders have water cooled tongs.
>>
>>1186998
>desktop
>wifi
You should focus on getting your shit together so you can stop living with your parents.
>>
>>1186998
>So for hard drives especially Is there a way to have some sort of stable sata+power connector that wont move when a drive is taken out from it

Yes. It's called hot swap bays, good to have with RAID.
>>
>>1186998
>Also with the gpu, it runs decently loud, so is it possible to mount a different style of cooler to it?

Yup. /g/ can tell you all about this.
>>
File: case.png (325KB, 1000x759px) Image search: [Google]
case.png
325KB, 1000x759px
Heres my quality prototype, the pcie things at the back are obviously not shown in proper allignment and the scales a little shit, but can anyone see any issues with this? the bottom six things are where i plan the hard drives to go and you can see the psu to the left of that. Only thing i guess is theres nowhere for a dvd drive, but i cant think of when i last used one. Im not sure where to put the io and usb header but that wont matter too much.

Again this is just a shape prototype
>>
>>1187033
In fact i can see a glaring error with the hard drive palcement. move those to the side not the front
>>
>>1187013
This.

Alternatively you can make your own metal break and clamp it together. Drill holes, rivet gun, take off clamps.

They sell anodized aluminum rivets that look nice.

Soot welder master race for the most part tho
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.