[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I had an argument with my friend on which brand was the best

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 210
Thread images: 25

File: head2head2.jpg (52KB, 480x264px) Image search: [Google]
head2head2.jpg
52KB, 480x264px
I had an argument with my friend on which brand was the best between Makita, DeWalt, Bosh and Milwaukee. We couldn't conclude this so what are your opinions on this guys? (In order 1 to 4)
>>
Borscht.
>>
>>1186870
This thread will turn out really well

>milwaukee>makita>bosch>dewalt
>>
File: 25380_2000x2000.jpg (319KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
25380_2000x2000.jpg
319KB, 2000x2000px
>>1186870
As far as power tools go there isn't a huge difference anymore. I went with Milwaukee for my cordless tools. They seem to have a slight advantage when it comes to batteries, offer a wide range of tools and usually have a nice gimmick or two. They even make some good hand tools. Their tape measures with the neodymium magnetized end hook is great for metal work.
>>
>What's the best Vehicle?
Go read some reviews, this is shill territory.
>Makita BTFO
>How can DeWalt even compete
>Bosch fags on suicide watch
>Only normies use Milwaukee
Don't want it here. Post project or GTFO.
>>
>>1186896
I've got yer pic related. Fuckin fantastic. Never realized how much the air hose got in the way. Dude at work has the snap on one. Almost identical.. light, battery gauge. Only differences- instead of a lever, there's a button; and it has a grease fitting on the head. I got mine for $80. Snap on is $400
>>
>>1186898
>continually reposting the same reddit tier meme in every thread that discusses brands

What happens in project threads?
Do you want people to censor the pictures of their tools too?
>>
File: NoShillingToday.png (2MB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
NoShillingToday.png
2MB, 1000x1000px
>>1186916
>Do you want people to censor the pictures of their tools too?
>>
>>1186870

Its a really really tight race. but if i had to rate them.

1. Milwaukee
2. DeWalt
3 Makita
4 Bosh

The top 3 are used by our repairmen all the time. For hand tools the vast bulk are craftsman (or at least in craftsman boxes) or snap op.

I personally went with DeWalt because my father, brother, father in law and brother in law all have DeWalt 20v tools so i got the same battery platform as they did for the sake of convenience.
>>
>>1186870
Bosch and dewalt
>>
File: makita.png (3KB, 1500x300px) Image search: [Google]
makita.png
3KB, 1500x300px
I like Makita's colors most.
>>
>>1186870
I run Milwaukee Fuel M18 kit at home. Love it.
Got a bunch of DeWalts at work. They're good, but the Mke's feel better balanced in my hand.
Makita/Ryobi are decent. Better price point then MilWalt.
My old Craftsman 19.2V stuff didn't have the power/torque MilWalt has, on par-ish with makita/ryobi.

Other advantages of Milwaukee are the 12v and 18v slots on the charger, can charge one of each in parallel which is nice, vs. having a charger for each. I also like the range of tools they have, though the other brands are closing that gap.
>>
>>1186870
DeWalt
Milwaukee
Makita
Bosch
>>
>>1186870
>>1186871
>>1186878
>>1186934
>>1186936
>>1186969

It's like you have used all these brands extensively! I believe all of you because of this.
>>
The answers depend on you being a murrican or yuropean.
>>
>>1186950
they make them in pink too :^)
>>
>>1186870
>Milwaukee

the best. makita is good too.
>>
>>1186896
>As far as power tools go there isn't a huge difference anymore
This, most established brands' professional lines will do great nowadays. At work we use Hilti and at home I have some Makita machines.
>>
File: 1461235353323.jpg (161KB, 852x1041px) Image search: [Google]
1461235353323.jpg
161KB, 852x1041px
>>1186947
>Hitachi
>Anything else is for faggots
>Makita in the background
>>
>>1186947
Hitachi feels good on my boyclit :3
>>
so good to see proper toolmakers like Hitachi in amongst these constant Milwaukee Chinese shit-shilling threads.
>>
>>1187003
See the cord on it?
>>
General consensus I see is that Bosch/Makita are a step above Milwaukee/DeWalt, but they're all good enough to warrant buying. Milwaukee/DeWalt offer a much wider range of stuff, with Milwaukee more focused towards sparkies and industry, DeWalt is more dead tree carcass focused, as far as tool variety goes. Makita is currently top tier for their hypoid saw(vs the DeWalt and Skil worm drives), and the old crowd favorite for angle grinders, but DeWalt is kinda taking that crown, especially with all their different sizes. Milwaukee's 9Ah battery is the competition for DeWalt's FLEXVOLT line, Milwaukee went for higher current, DeWalt went for higher voltage. Voltage is more efficient, but for the ranges we're talking about, either works, with the advantage to doing the 9Ah battery is that I haven't heard any issues with it not fitting some tools, whereas the FLEXVOLT batteries sometimes don't fit old tools. While there's nothing wrong with other brands of batteries, Milwaukee is king of low temperature batteries. Makita uses the top-tier chucks, Milwaukee/DeWalt use Jacobs chucks(I'm unsure about Bosch). Price generally goes Bosch->Dewalt/Milwaukee->Makita, in order of least to most. Milwaukee 12v system is the undisputed 12v leader. Bosch has an impact wrench with a 1/4 hex socket in it, so it's a driver and wrench in one, which is neat.
>>
>>1186976
I never used milwakee
>>
File: DSC_0083.jpg (2MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0083.jpg
2MB, 2048x1536px
Pic related

Bosch is good too
>>
>>1187009
Hfghgghgv
>>
>>1187030
Milwaukee chucks are (j)acobs but their execution sucks. You can replace the chucks cheap but shouldn't have to. Otherwise I like my Milwaukees. I bought a 28V kit which is great for my use and I've had it well over ten years. Still have one of the original batteries but it's kinda tired. Most people will be happy with 18v tools but I used mine for stuff like clipping cars in auto salvage work. My heavy diyerbro has a bunch of 18v Milwaukee tools and runs them hard. He also likes DeWalt as do I.

My next set will be whatever is most beastly at the time.
>>
File: 1491878062195.jpg (9KB, 271x186px) Image search: [Google]
1491878062195.jpg
9KB, 271x186px
>>1187009
>good to see a budget tool brand being mentioned

Should we be bringing up Porter Cable and Black & Decker too?
>>
The correct answers is Hilti
>>
>>1186870
Go watch some AvE videos and make your own conclusion
>>
>>1187070
So you're saying Hitachi is not only better it is cheaper?
>>
Actually, all drills are quite the same.
Makita have slightly more precise chuck (small radial beating)
Bosch have slightly more reliable gearbox. (In makita gearbox is weak, so after shifting a gear make sure it turned on by running drill without load)
>>
>>1186870
Hitachi
>>
>>1187616
>>1187626
Any experience with larger Hitachi equipment like their hammer/rotary hammer?
>>
>>1186934
I specifically went with Makita so no one would touch my batteries. I remember holding on to a plumbers 18volt dewalt battery for months just to get my battery back because he needed one that was charged. I'm quite happy with my Makita set, I don't even lug my corded sawzall, sds plus, oscillator or angle grinder anymore unless I know that it's gonna be used all day. But I won't shill for Makita because they're all made in China and all cost relatively the same.
>>
>>1187636
Hitachi isn't made in china, but I won't shill for their tools because they look somewhat inferior. But its hard to get comparable stats on them, you really have to have used them all to make proper judgements. Where's that anon with all the brands' drills in rainbow order? I thought he'd turn up here.
>>
>>1187640
Rainbow anon here. I don't have a Hitachi yet(got Bosch recently though!). I see a lot of Hitachi stuff returned for being underpowered though, although I don't see many 18v drills, either sold or returned, so I can't judge those too much.
>>
>>1186870
>>1186870
DeWalt is the only drill that survived when I used to build fire trucks. Stainless steel fucks up drills bad.
>>
>>1187632
No rotary hammer but i have used a hitachi mitre saw. Pretty good, no complaints.
>>
>>1186977
Yuropean here. Milwaukee is catching on here as well.
>>
File: IMG_20170603_131454014.jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170603_131454014.jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
>>1187640
What part of Japan is China in???

I'm happy with the 8½ miter saw though, it's lightweight and has lots of bevel tricks, but there is some play if you push a little harder than you should. But Hitachi cordless tools seem as cheap as Ryobi tools price wise and that scared me away from them. But they are in siding tool catalogs (ABC in Maryland), and they normally don't sell crappy products. I'm sure they're fine but not in top 3
>>
>>1186870
They are all shit. Made in Taiwan at best and china at worst.

Pick a color and stick with it.
>>
>>1187115

Agreed!
>>
>>1187774
I have rhe 12" dual compound and love it
>>
>>1186870
hitachi is literally just a licensed name for the tool line, they have absolutly nothing to do with them other than owning the name hitachi
>>
>>1187780
China makes some good stuff. They also make much more cheap shit, because we keep buying it. It doesn't make their best any worse.
>>
>>1186896
That Milwaukee tape measure is one of my favorite things ever.
>>
I gave my old makita to my mother, she is using it as a mixer
>>
>>1186870
Craftsman
>>
Can't say much about the other three but I have a few dewalts at work i've been using over the past few years and I can say the chucks tend to be shit. Plastic or metal, they can't seem to hold onto a bit if you're drilling anything harder than wood.

I have a Hitachi I use for around the house stuff. It's only a 12v 3/8" chuck model, though for general home repairs it's decent.
>>
Hilti is by far the best. Wouldn't recommend spending the money on those tools unless you are going to be putting them through the paces.
>>
>>1186870
>Makita, DeWalt, Bosh and Milwaukee

DeWalt is a fucking meme. Come standard with shit operation, terrible battery life and low MTBF.

I'd rather Ryobi than dewalt, and that is something I wont debate here because they are both consumer grade or worse.

Bosch is my favorite mid grade brand. The high end shit should be reserved for pros, because you're not adding inches to your dick by owning hilti and snapon tools that you use like an average /diy/er
>>
>>1186870

I think the differences are pretty negligible, but pretty much every sheetrocker and HVAC guy uses dewalt so I guess they're probably the best.
>>
>>1187936
>sheetrocker and HVAC guy uses dewalt

drywall guys like dewalt drivers (corded) because they are very very fast. They still dont last very well, and their other tools are all for shit.
>>
>>1187828
We keep buying it because we produced it there.
>>
>Drills
Makita, because of the fucking awesome batteries
>Everything else (corded)
Metabo angle grinder
Makita circular saw
Makita belt sander
>>
>>1187988
>everything Makita except grinder
u wot
>>
>>1188001
Other people will make fun of me if all my tools match.
>>
>>1186870
Easy. Hitachi

The king is obviously Hilti but thats for millionaires so i wont count that.
>>
I don't suppose anybody has made one of those complete feature comparison charts for cordless drills or grinders yet, have they?
>>
>>1187002
milwaukee doesn't change their fucking batteries' design every day like dewutt does. I like that
>>
>>1187936
real drywall guys use those fucking screw gatts from milwaukee and hilti. using a driver takes longer
>>
>>1187774

It's West Japan.
>>
>>1187019
I use those grinders to core drill, fuck hilti
>>
Makita, Milwaukee, Bosch I that order.

Dewalt absolute pleb tier
>>
Festool.
>>
Just upgraded from NiCad to lithium. Went Milwaukee. Cost was about the same for a 5 tool Makita, Milwaukee or DeWalt. Didn't even consider Bosch. Went Milwaukee for the batteries, the hackzall, and experience with corded Milwaukee tools.
>>
File: SMugArmy.jpg (110KB, 1000x625px) Image search: [Google]
SMugArmy.jpg
110KB, 1000x625px
>>1188297
>>
>Makita

Why?

We got one of dem fancy cluckers with high torque at my job once. I really enjoyed the feel of it. So makita it is. Doesent matter that I didnt try any of the other brands.
>>
>>1187143
Bulk of my cross-brand experience comes from AvE, I've only worked with bosch's green line, makita and a little bit with hitatchi. According to AvE, the chucks on the new Makitas are far superior to most other brands.

In my limited experience, and possibly because I think the color is quite handsome, I'd rank them
>(Hilti)>Makita>DeWalt>Bosch blue>Milwaukee>Bosch green.
>>
>borrow dad's drill
>he gifts me a cheap Black & Decker
>without variable speed
>now I have a useless drill and can't borrow his
>>
>>1186870
We sell Makita, Milwaukee and DeWalt in an area that uses a lot of them in manufacturing. Honestly any of the new ones should be great. We sell more of which company has the best deal generally. Our other store sells more Makita than anything though. They are coming out with new and improved about every six months it seems. We don't sell Bosch cordless anymore.

Personally I would go Milwaukee. They as a company have gone much further customer service wise than any other company for our small hardware. If they provide me with great service I can provide my customers with great service.

Also Milwaukees 5 year tool warranty and repairs guaranteed to be back on the road 5 days after receiving for the win.
>>
>>1189134
>According to AvE, the chucks on the new Makitas are far superior to most other brands.

Interesting, because Milwaukee keyless chucks have been a disappointment for many years. I get great use from their tools otherwise.

>>1189141
Use it for bits appropriate to its speed and add another drill to your collection later. You can never have too many drills.
>>
File: IMAG0379.jpg (926KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0379.jpg
926KB, 1920x1080px
>>1189222
>You can never have too many drills.
>>
>>1189754
I have about the same number, but mine are all corded.
>>
File: IMG_1173.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1173.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>1189754
What's the point of owning so many drills if you barely use them?

>Check out this slut. Don't let the size fool you, she's got it where it counts.
>>
>>1187070
I know it's "cheap" but I've had good luck with some of my B&D tools. I was given an old corded B&D drill that is probably older than me. It has a key chuck and from I can tell it only and has only run forward, which can be inconvenient. But it takes a licken' and keeps on ticken'. I also bought a new orbital sander that was B&D for a large project. One of the screws can loose one the sanding plate and wrecked it but I was given a new one when I returned it to my local hardware store and haven't had and problems yet. Also if I had checked those screws it probably would not have broken.
>>
>>1189141
>have a black & decker from when I was a kid
>keep using it because why replace it if its still working
>only two speed trigger
>no electronic brake
>fucking nicads self discharge in a day
>doesnt last for more than an hour of work
>every time I go to use it I get the classic motor winding down noise of a dead battery
>have to plan around when I need a drill so I can charge it for 12-24 hours in advanced

>finally upgrade to a new 20v drill
>cant get use to variable speed trigger on the drill and full blast everything
>always forget there is a brake on it
>feels like I damaging the tool by letting off the trigger too fast
>feel guilty every time the brake engages

>new 12v "screwdriver" has the same brake
>its brushed
>the huge sparked from the motor every time the brake is used only reinforce the "its fuckign shit up" feeling
>>
>>1189965
>>feels like I damaging the tool by letting off the trigger too fast
i fucking hate this shit why do they do it?
>>
>>1189965
Drills have brakes? Is this just a cordless thing? Because my 20+ year old corded Hitachi with no extra features is showing no signs of breaking, regardless of how long I reef on it for. Maybe simpler is better, assuming you've got no need for variable torque clutches, anaemic hammer action, and all the other bells and whistles.
>>
>>1190001
Its just a new "feature" they are putting on them now. I guess its for precision work so yo dont over tighten something or if you need the drillbit to stop suddenly it will and not just keep on twisting for another second?

Either way, its not related to how much force the tool is going though. It just stops the chuck the millisecond you let off the trigger.
>>
>>1186921
l-lewd
>>
>>1190023
>>1190026
>>1190031
Why deleted?
>>
Milwaukee has good battery life
>>
>>1190038

Because I was wrong about the reverse polarity. Upon further review my understanding is that e-brake systems in power tools all (almost all?) short the motor into a resistor. It shorts the terminals so back current slows the motor, inertia of the motor determining how quickly it can come to a stop.

I'm also not confident on exactly how much this reduces the life of the brushes. Looks like it may be more than I originally assumed.

Anyway, anon need not worry about breaking any critical part of his drills with the brake system. Only thing it's hard on is the brushes.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-06-07-20-04-12-1.png (357KB, 1048x1357px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-06-07-20-04-12-1.png
357KB, 1048x1357px
Opinions on this?
I'm doing a car restoration and many bolts are difficult to get off even with a 5ft breaker bar.
>>
>>1186916
>bitching about anything repetitive in a about cordless tool brand threads
Weve had this same fucking thread over and over non stop since /diy/ was made. This is the last place outside of a shipping container thread that you need to be bitching about repetitiveness.
>>
>>1190076
But since the braking is done essentially through the Lorentz force, I can't see why stopping the motor by evenly putting force on the rotor would put any unusual stress on the brushes at all.
>>
Im looking to get an angle grinder, what brand should i get
>>
>>1190099
Never used that one, but it was either that or the dewalt for me.
The specs are close enough to eachother.
I think the dark red will not look as shitty when it gets old and dirty

Note that the one pictured has the hog ring thing to hold the socket on.
There are two types you'll see, hog ring and pin detent. "they" say that mechanics like the hog ring because its easier than fucking with the pin detent.

Hog rings are stiff as fuck when new, but wear out and have to be replaced. They will wear out to the point where they don't even work anymore. I like then when they are worn out half way, but then youll have to replace it and it goes right back to being too stiff.
I have an impact wrench that was my fathers from the 90s or before that is hog ring. The sockets are always falling off of that thing.

Pin detent will lock in place in a hole in the socket, but the hole is only on one side. It can be a pain in the ass to get the socket off, some people poke the pin out of the hole with something to remove it easier.

Personally I went with a pin detent and just keep the socket put on with the hole not lining up with the pin so it pulls off easier.
>>
>>1190099
My green Ryobi 1/2" impact took off a harmonic balancer bolt torqued to 140lb-ft with very little effort, and made really quick work of a recent rear control arm replacement job getting some rusty old bolts out.

Surely TTI's top-tier is going to be better than their value-line tool that I'm in love with. You'll be hooked as soon as you realize how quickly you can bust the damn thing out and move it freely without the air hoses and compressor constantly spooling up.

I'm surprised NASCAR doesn't use them.
>>
>>1190076
I think you may have replied to me with that.
most of my new stuff is all brushless. I have no clue how the sudden stop in electric affects a brushless motor, but I image each winding will have its own jolt of electricity.

The screwdriver is brushed though and you can see arch being twice as big.
Something AVE pointed out is the ir or uv from the electric damages the plastic if they didnt add anything in there to slow down its degradation.

I hadn't really put much thought into the electrical affect from the sudden stopping. The sound alone has me concerned about the mechanical stuff. It sounds like stopping a dremel or an angle grinder with the wheel lock button. My main concerns were in the wear on the actual brake system (whatever is being jammed in wherever) and the affect it has on the gears.
>>
>>1189985
DeWalt's DCD771's brake is the worst. I think it has an actual mechanical brake, because it sounds TERRIBLE as it brakes. The Porter Cable, Bosch, and Kobalt do it as well, with the Bosch and Kobalt only barely sounding shitty if I really fuck with it trying to catch the brake, and the Porter Cable being easy to get to brake badly, bit again, only if I'm trying. Milwaukee is a dream. >>1189754 is me btw.
>>
>>1190001
>>1189965
I can confirm my DeWalt cordless has a similar brake, it slams stop quite often.

It feels bad you can let off the trigger slower.

>>1190113
The DeWalts are a "kit" where you have a couple/few batteries and they work on the impact as well as the drill (great drill btw), they also have a grease gun and I think a grinder/saw.

If you have tractors or lawn mowers with grease zircs that are hard to get to, the grease gun is pretty neat to have.

here's a vid with the saw in it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJoof1jRfT8
>>
>>1190114
Not him, but I know I am fascinated with impact wrenches busting stuff loose.
This video never gets old for me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmFiFgAtUpM
>>
>>1190121
in low speed the cordless dewalt I have has some serious torque, fucker will spin you
>>
>>1190120
>The DeWalts are a "kit
You can buy the bare tools also. WIth dealt the end of the model number denotes what kit it is and if its just the tool its called a "bare tool" and marked with a B after the model number.

I looked at the other stuff, I want a grease gun but not for that price, $150-200 usd, is that normal for a grease gun? I thought they were closer to $15-50 usd for a normal squeeze one. I have never used a grease gun and dont know how tedious it could be, but I have to stop at this point and ask myself do I really need to automate everything.

The grinders look nice for light work, but Id rather go for the 60v grinder if I go cordless)
They also have a 20v weed eater that is rather tempting. (there are also 40v and 60v ones iirc)
>>
>>1190121
>those rusty FWD axle nuts removed with ease

It takes a lot of power to remove those. They basically hold the wheel bearings together and are torqued to the point that they can't be reused if removed.

I swear, once you have one of these, you'll be kicking yourself for all the effort it could have saved you if you hadn't waited to buy one.
>>
>>1190124
grease gun is mainly for my dad, he's old and those grease zircs are hard to get to.

it's just a lot more convenient while you're laying down under a tractor/mower to press the pump button than squeeze the handle a few times.
>>
>>1190122
low speed isnt a joke.
I had speed 3 still ripping my hand sideways if I didnt pay attention

Speaking of speed, something I dont like about my dewalt is the electronic clutch actually affects the top speed of the drill. If you really want it to go fast, you have to set the number higher.
My old black and decker would wouldnt work any different nomatter what the clutch was set to
>>
>>1190127
i just leave that thing on "drill" the whole time and the button on top only has speeds 1 and 2
>>
>>1190128
I got in the habit of leaving it on the lowest setting and moving up when needed because I used my old drill for alot of electronic work aswell (b&d). The 1 setting on the dewalt is still way to powerful to use on electronics so I'm probably going to get in the habit of leaving it on drill also.
asfor the speed numbers its just a model or generation difference. Some have two others have 3
>>
>>1189754
>porter cable

My old boss had a impact from porter cable, thing ran like a champ. I was surprised.
>>
Used to work for Home Depot, do minor carpentry / handyman BS. I had a run at everything.
Milwaukee > DeWalt > Bosch > Makita > >>>>>>>>>Whatever the fuck HDX horse shit exists.

DESU you can't go wrong with any, but I swear to God HDX shit may contain traces of literal bullshit. I had a fucking HDX tape rule break on me. I have NEVER seen that happen from any other tape rule.
>>
File: nailed-it.jpg (806KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
nailed-it.jpg
806KB, 1080x1920px
>>1190183
I mean, they are the midrange between Black & Decker and DeWalt. They're a damn functional lineup, they just aren't as nice as the ones in yellow. Jesus, that brake though, I don't know why SB&D has such a boner for them.

>mrw I spend half an hour throughout the day figuring out how to convert a video into webms that will be small enough to upload to show you guys the brakes
>>
>>1190189
>and then realize it blocks audio streams and I'm too stupid to proofread and realize I didn't finish my post before submitting
>>
Panasonic/hilti>fuck everything else
>>
>>1190124
don't get the 20th weed eater. it has proven consistent motor failure issues. the 60v hasn't really shown the same issue, so definitely a consideration. personally I'm planning on going with Ego for OPE.
>>
>>1190231
>Ego for OPE
what does this mean?
>>
>>1190311
ego=brand OPE=outdoor power equipment
>>
>>1186870

Binford > everything else
>>
>>1187936
HVAC guy here and only handyman hacks use DeWalt. Ridgid and milwaukee seem to be dominant. I generally prefer Ridgid but Milwaukee makes amazing drills for the tight spaces you often deal with so I have to give it to them as having the best overall drills.
>>
File: big_grin_by_rober_raik-d4cw3lk.png (1MB, 7802x6822px) Image search: [Google]
big_grin_by_rober_raik-d4cw3lk.png
1MB, 7802x6822px
>>1186870
lol are you too poor to pay someone else to do the drilling and screwing?
>>
>>1186870
>▶

i bought a Worx drill and impact set

it the best shit i ever owned
>>
>>1186870
Hilti.
>>
>>1190456
You PAY them? I chase them out of the bedroom with an angle grinder!
>>
Electrician guy here and I generally see milwaukee, dewalt, and hilti. I've seen others but not as often as these three. Bosch seems to be the corded hammer drill favorite. I own dewalt because I got I my first kit on sale and bought extra batteries. Coworkers own Milwaulkee and they make some quality tools but are priced too high. After using the 20vMAX dewalt next to milwaukee 18v, I would say milwaukee is the better designed tool for a cost, dewalt can keep up though.
>>
>>1190456
Thats very brave of you anon, to admit you and your wife are in an open relationship.
Its good to know that you are willing to pay others to satisfy your wife
>>
File: 384728282.jpg (53KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
384728282.jpg
53KB, 1000x1000px
I'm not even joking, ryobi has never let me down
>>
>>1190567
Well what tends to be the problem with Ryobi anyway? Is it lack of features, lack of durability, or lack of power? Because a lot of those are fine if you're doing lightweight stuff, like woodworking as opposed to metalworking. Personally I'd get a full-on name brand just because I could probably have my future children inherit the damn thing, but if it lasts you 5 years I'd say you've made a good purchase. As opposed to the $25 rotary tool with out of centre collets that I broke the brake on in a couple of months.
>>
>>1190684
That B.C. youtube guy says he guestimates most power tools are good for about 300 hours, so you should consider it a failure to have them still working then.
>>
>>1190684
/diy/ used to recommend them all the time.
It's only stopped when some singular faggot started yelling and screaming I'm every single thread about " Home Depot shills" while at the same time shilled for Makita.
It's one of the main reasons these threads have turned to shit as of recent
>>
>>1190567
It's because Ryobi has always been seen as a budget or DIY brand, and people who have paid 2-3x as much for tradebrand tools for home use like to justify their purchases so they don't feel like they have overspent. Granted, they have had their share of shitty tools in the past, but you can say that about most brands.

They started to really pick up their game when they introduced the hypergreen colour scheme for their tools about 5 years ago, and some of their tools such as their cordless nailguns were both first on the market here (aust.) and performed better than the trade brand nailguns.

They now have a 6 year warranty here (4+2 with product registration) on cordless tools (3 years on the battery), and the hardware store they are distributed by (Bunnings) is pretty easy with warranty claims. You can argue all day about how they might be two seconds slower to screw in a 14g x 150mm timber batten screw than a DeWalt, but the $130 I saved would take a lot of screws to recoup that price difference.
>>
>>1190726
Only reason i don't own any Ryobi stuff is Canadian Tire and their deep cut 50%+ sales. So tools i have a use for but don't require convenience features on, like oscillating tool, jigsaw, reciprocating saw, corded drill, i go with the Mastercraft when they decide to sell them for well below $100 Canadian fun bucks.

Another discount tool brand i have recently had good experience with is Wen. Their 3x21 belt sander is great.
>>
>>1186870
The yellow one
My engineering professor was a consultant for them back in the 70s, they overhauled all the parts with new materials to dramatically increase life-cycle performance, really cool stuff. But because of his contract structure they couldn't directly pay him, legally they could had just taken his work for free, but instead they gave him one of everything in the catalog as compensation.
>>
>>1186870
we've gone through 3 DeWalts where i work while the one milwaukee we have is still operating on the battery that came with it years later and we haven't had to replace a thing in it

we're fixing vehicles for an aluminum factory so they're in heavy use drilling sheared bolts out of inch thick steel
>>
Makita at the top, no fucking contest. Milwaukee second the other two are garbage. Walk on any jobsite in Canada where power tools are tested to the extreme, the statistics clearly show whose at the top.
>>
>>1187115
I already wondered when the first one says Hilti
Could it be that Hilti is not very popular in the Usa?
>>
>>1190889
>WillFuckYe
>>
>>1190703
>bitching about shilling a brand from Home Depot
>shills Makita
Fucking what? Lowe's ain't got Makita, not even the hypoid. The faggotry never ceases to amaze.
>>
>>1191120
They sell mostly to contractors as they are quite expensive.
>>
>>1190703
>HD shill faggot complaining about shills - fucking pottery.
kys you cancerous little scrote.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170610-181719.png (278KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170610-181719.png
278KB, 720x1280px
>Makita
Best, they don't always look the best on paper, because they focus on tools that are the most effective for the application

Oh, your angle grinder goes 2000 rpm faster then my Makita? Well I'll sit here happily cutting through ss like butter while yours gets stalled out every 10 seconds.
>Bosch
I like solely because I get really steep employee discounts (not 15% try the exact price Lowe's pays) how can you argue with prices like these? (Pic related normally is $600+)

I really can't find a fault in Bosch tools but I used to think they were overpriced which is no longer a problem
>DeWalt
Had tons of friends that use them, never liked them

They always feel like crap. I think they used to be much cheaper or something because I could never justify spending that much on that quality

>Milwaukee

Used to be my favorite brand but their quality has dropped significantly since a decade back
>>
File: Screenshot_20170610-183047.png (276KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170610-183047.png
276KB, 720x1280px
>>1191337
Just realized that screenshot cut off the item number
>>
It only took a few charges to build an entire shed with my 18V makita tools.

Why would any non-professional even consider going brushless? Srs question.
>>
>>1191344
More efficient, also the Makita brushless are black
>>
>>1191337
>actually paying $450 for a shitty contractors saw

You seriously didnt do this right?
>>
>>1191373
>buying tools for vanity
>>
>>1186870
I have Makita and Bosch tools. Buy DeWalt if you like wobble and Milwaukee if you like your batteries to fall apart. Makita and Bosch might not be the most powerful in many categories but theyre built better in my experience.
>>
>>1191401
You... What? Milwaukee's advantage is their batteries, and my DeWalt wobbles less than the Milwaukee.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170610-231204.png (155KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170610-231204.png
155KB, 720x1280px
>>1191381
No, just clicked on the first thing to show the discounts

Only thing I've gotten was a laser distance measure and pic related during a sale (it was around $100)
>>
>>1191454
abrasive chop saws are quit literally the worst tool in the world. i would rather cut with a hammer.
>>
>>1187030
Sparky here. The shop I'm at almost exclusively uses Milwaukee.
>>
DeWalt. Everything else is sub-tier.
>>
>>1191460
Spoken like someone who's never had to go through a few hundred cuts of schedule 80 pipe in a single afternoon
>>
I've never had to do that, but wouldn't a carbide chop saw be both better and faster for that job?
>>
>>1191474
spoken like someone who has never fabbed anything other than low tolerance fab work.
>>
>>1191478
There is a time and a place for every tool

A cutoff has a very specific place in this world
>>
>>1191463
Seems Milwaukee favors the sparkies, DeWalt favors carpentry.
>>
>MFW the only drill I own is a $20 harbor freight piece of shit.

I can make it grind the gears by holding the chuck with my hand, but hey, twenty fucking dollars and it does everything I need and even came with a shitty flashlight.
>>
>>1191551
Harbor Freight is expanding for a reason, they definitely get the repeat business from people who have bought from them before. If you want a significant upgrade, I've heard nothing but good about their $40ish heavy duty drill.
>>
File: ElHombreDeFamilia.png (443KB, 1898x814px) Image search: [Google]
ElHombreDeFamilia.png
443KB, 1898x814px
Family Guy animators like Makita?
>>
>>1189222
>chucks
Ya, apparently japanese made "Yukiwa Seiko" brand. It looks like the chucks I remember shit used to have back when.
>>
>>1191567
I used their wired tools all day every day
>>
>>1187054
>Black & Decker
>why not DeWalt if you're going to buy your tools at Home Depot

Also, I love my Bosch hammer drill. I got it from my grandfather 10 years ago and it's still running strong. He had owned it for a few years before that as well. The thing is pushing 15 years old, whereas my Ryobi hammer drill shit itself in <2 years.

In regards to the topic of the thread, most of my cordless stuff is DeWalt, and my corded stuff is mostly Ryobi and Hilti, although I do have a Milwaukee sawzall. I've never really used Makita besides borrowing a drill for two minutes from a coworker on occasion, so I can't comment too much on their tools.

But Milwaukee is also good if you're willing to spend that kind of money. DeWalt has always served as a good alternative to Milwaukee for the generally better prices, in my experience.

With that said about the price difference between Milwaukee and DeWalt, I still shell out a little extra for Milwaukee drill bits and drivers. They break or strip less often in my experience. Irwin makes decent drill bits too. My grommet and step bits are all Irwin, and I admittedly abuse the fuck out of them.
>>
>>1191758
>Milwaukee bits
I've heard nothing but great things about their hole saws, and nothing but bad about their impact bits.
>>
>>1191799
The red bits with the bands are good, the silver bits without the bands arent worth the money
>>
Does any decent brand sell a regular old corded drill with a clutch on it?
I own the B&D Matrix corded, its actually taken way more abuse than I thought it would. I bought it new for 17$ on clearance, would never entertain buying another one though.

It would be nice to get a decent one. The only things I can find are off brands or drywall shooters
>>
>>1191490
Not any more. TCT blades have seen to that.
>>
>>1191815
>Using a $50 blade on a $10 project

You're like those kids that waste Cobalt drill bits on pine aren't you?
>>
>>1191823
>Using a £300 saw on a £10 project

If you're going to contradict your own logic at least come up with a better insult. You're either using the saw or you're not.
>>
>>1191825
I'm saying the tungsten blade will wear out before you get it's use out of it you retard

If you are cutting billets of expensive material and you can't waste a single ounce, go for the tungsten blade. But if you are cutting pipe or mild steal you are wasting your money on an expensive blade

Also where the fuck did you pull £300 out of? Your ass?
>>
>>1192051
How would you wear out a blade without getting your use out of it? How do you wear it without using it?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170612-061956.png (528KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170612-061956.png
528KB, 1080x1920px
>>1192051
If you're not a completely ham fisted waste of time you can get enough use out of a blade to make the entire saw pay for itself. Ive had my current makita LC1230 for over 18 months and it's still not had a blade change. £300 is the average price of a decent TCT cut off saw. I have access to two evolution saws, a dewalt and a makita and £300 is a good amount to spend.

Also if you average a price of £170 for an abrasive cut off saw then include the amount if abrasive discs you'll use in a similar period to what a TCT blade would last you'll spend £300 or more easily if you're not just a weekend warrior.

TCT us far superior and as I said if your argument is using any tool for a cheap project why even make a point in the first place ya silly goose.
>>
>>1186870
Makita wins that one, for sure.
>>
>>1191450
https://youtu.be/zYIJcFsShCg
>>
>>1186995
Good for sending with your daughter to college because nobody will steal a pink tool. Oh wait of course they will plus you will have bigger probs to worry about anyway
>>
File: 1496572276291.jpg (44KB, 720x609px) Image search: [Google]
1496572276291.jpg
44KB, 720x609px
>>1186870
DeWalt and Milwuakee
>>
considering one company owns most of those

i'll still choose milwaukee because im an electrician and don't care.
>>
>>1194363
Parent companies largely dont matter in the overall scheme of things
Look at the monopolies on every single product in every single sector
Its crazy
>>
>>1191401
You should be able to change the chuck on the dewalt anyway.

I would be thoroughly surprised if that were not the case with all these cordless drills. They're probably just mounted on a taper shank and you have to knock it out.
>>
>>1194393
>You should be able to change the chuck on the dewalt anyway.
I was able to return it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY7XO5H_6HY#t=212
>>
>>1186870
As someone who's used them all, I really never feel a difference. I've probably had the most issues with Milwaukee though. Hilti are best for shit like hammer drills, demo hammers, and other concrete shit though.

If you're doing big shit then you spend more. IR air impacts are god tier for bolting up shit that's bigger than an inch and a half but I'd never buy one or use one for anything smaller. Same goes for snap on and other unnecessarily expensive brands.
>>
>>1194414
>If you're doing big shit then you spend more. IR air impacts are god tier for bolting up

That would be absolutely relevant if we were not talking about drill drivers surely.
>>
I use Milwaukee every day. Bought a shit load of one brand. Fuck them they get hot and the other medium tier, Dewalt doesn't.

Dewalt is a meme of didn't-finish-high-school construction workers. But really doesn't get hot like Milwaukee. Still mediocre, owned by black and decker shit tier company.

Bosch and Makita area neck and neck. Bosch seems to be the tougher one. Makita looks sexier.

Brushless, bigger batteries... Go that way no matter the brand.
>>
>>1194495
>Bosch and Makita area neck and neck. Bosch seems to be the tougher one. Makita looks sexier.

In my experience making repairs on faulty tools, i give Makita a slight edge on materials and build quality. This varies depending on the tool but Bosch overall has a tendency to cheap out just a bit on stuff that matters for longevity if not necessarily performance. Makita will sometimes cheap out on ancillary functionality, their dust management on saws and sanders for instance, can be poor.
>>
>>1194629
As for Dewalt, i'm convinced their basic tenet of design is good performance, lots of power/torque, when tool is new. This is why dewalt has a tendency to score high on head to head performance tests on new tools. Minimal fucks given about longevity and will break in the most diverse variety of ways. Like with other brands of tools, there tends to be a common point of failure while the rest of the tool holds up well. For Dewalt it could be anything that goes bust.
>>
I use a Stanley cordless drill
>>
I've used them all and they all have their pluses and minuses. Hate to admit it but I have used a Ryobi drill daily for the last 18 yrs. Other that taking it apart and cleaning it, it has served me fine. The batteries suck. Milwaukee are the best but Im a tight ass
>>
Hilti is king, used it at work, and I'm confident there is nothing better.
>>
>>1186870
I've honestly never used a hand tool that can take more abuse than a Bosch. As well as lasting basically forever they are made very well and have a good fit and finish. Makita for me is a close second in built and construction quality while Milwaukee and DeWalt both tend to develop more weak points from torque and vibration over time, this is just due to cuts for lower cost in construction. I must say though as an honorable mention I've been pretty impressed by Porter Cable drills, they're surprisingly good for the price. Lastly just dear god don't buy Ryobi.
>>
>>1194913
>this is just due to cuts for lower cost in construction

>my chinese factory is better than your chinese factory!
>>
>>1194913
I (>>1189754) got a brushed Porter Cable for $20, normally $100 or so, and it impressed the hell outta me. Porter Cable makes some damn nice stuff for their prices. They ain't competing with DeWalt, but they're my go-to for corded when I won't need anything top of the line. Oscillating multitool and random orbital sander, that kinda thing.

Would anyone be interested in seeing a half-assed teardown/BOLTR-esque thing on the drills, since I've got so many available for comparison? I don't have the knowledge or in-depth experience to do anything real deep or informative, and I have NO electrical knowledge, but I can at least bust em apart and let y'all see the innards.
>>
>>1194933
I'd like to see a proper side-by-side comparison of the drills, especially brands that don't get as much spotlight like Hitachi. If you can do a simple teardown and identify what's going to be the first point of failure then that would be a huge help to potential buyers.
>>
>>1194933
>They ain't competing with DeWalt
Of course they aren't. They are owned by the same company. It is like saying Ford doesn't compete with Lincoln. They are sold at different price points specifically with the intent of providing coverage for the entire market. That way they can sell a cheaper tool that won't harm the 'premium' brand name yet still have products that at every price point.

Black & Decker learned that lesson the hard way back in the 80's. They put out a bunch of garbage tools under their own name back then and it irreparably damaged their brand. It caused all of their tools, even the high-end ones that were still rock solid, to become tainted. So, in 1994 they spun up the DeWalt name for their higher end stuff. 10 years later they bought up Porter-Cable to been the mid-tier brand between DeWalt and B&D.
>>
>>1186870
Simple:
1. Milwaukee
2. Makita
3. DeWalt
4. Bosch

POWER GAP
9999999. Ryobi
>>
Check out this channel on YouTube for multi brand comparisons - https://www.youtube.com/user/OZToolTalk

But personally, I'm sticking with Ryobi for cordless and Makita for corded.
>>
>>1194933
Cool idea, and if you have a small Cratex rubber stick you can take advantage and clean your commutators on brushed tools while apart. I rescue many that way then use them for years.
>>
>>1194979
Agreed. But from a design and construction point of view rather than the usual "how many holes can it drill on one battery" type thing. Like take about several different brands and compate their innards next to each other all in the same video.

There was some russian guy who did this in a short vid comparing a bosch grinder vs a makita but ut wasn't a complete disassemble. He just took the bits off tgst are possible to take off without opening the main housing. Showed, see here Bosch uses plastic component while Makita has metal, Makita has a bearing while Bosch just has a bushing in the same location, etc. I really like seeing the difference between the two side to side and would much appreciate that style but more in depth more thorough disassembly.
>>
>>1195200
*take APART and COMPARE
>>
>>1195200
I think the instantaneous "how many holes" is important, but maybe splitting it into "effective battery energy storage" and "power drawn by motor at different power settings", and maybe some classification of power loss due to trigger/switching mechanism. It can be a bit of comparing apples to oranges when you've got a 50V DeWalt in one hand and a glorified electric screwdriver in the other, and most of that comes from the battery.

A simple list of materials used for different pieces would also be a great help, like if the brushes are copper impregnated, how much glass fibre, fan blades metal or plastic, etc.
>>
>>1195564
I believe they're all plastic fans and PA-6 or PA66 and GF30 or GF35, but that would be exactly the type of stuff I'd hope to show, so, neat. I may hafta figure out how to set that up.
>>
>>1195766
I think some corded tools use metal fans, I remember seeing one in a BOLTR once. The DC permanent magnet motors typically have an internal fan.
>>
>>1195958
I don't know about now but old school corded tools commonly used metal fans. I have purchased a fair number of metal bodied drills over the years and pulled them open to service them. Not one has had a plastic fan on it yet.
>>
>>1195977
Those grounded-body tools were a thing of beauty, but modern things like epoxy'd-windings and FET speed control must make them less appealing for modern use.
>>
>>1195958
>>1195977
>>1196074
We'll speak of the devil, look what I just found in a box.
>>
File: IMAG0440.jpg (852KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0440.jpg
852KB, 1080x1920px
>>1196353
Maybe I'll remember the picture this time.
>>
Milwaukee>dewalt>bosch>makita.

I've run a milwakee 18 2speed w/hammer function on a daily basis for 2 yrs now. The weight and balance are good, its powerful, and even drills/drives 2" tapcons, The battery life gets me through most days on 1-2 batteries. I have 6 as I run several tools off the same batteries. The sawzall, hackzall, pin nailer, impact, and skill saw. All which run great and are durable.

Dewalt is good too, but i used to have issues with battery life and universitality.
>>
>>1186870
Milwaukee
>>
>>1196364
Sawzall vs Hackzall, what are the trade-offs?
>>
>>1196372
power is the main difference, plus the sawzall has an adjustable blade shoe thing and i think its easier to remove the blades on the full sized sawzalls.
>>
>>1196951
Oh and Milwaukee just announced a Fuel M18 Hackzall to replace the current model, its supposed to have a big step up in power and they put a lot of work into reducing vibration from cutting which is an important part of the Hackzall's intended one-handed operation.
>>
Bisch have a meme and a pro edition to their tools.

The whole market is a consumer stitch up and price guoge
>>
metabo
>>
>>1197020
ive heard good things about their corded grinders but ive never even seen them carried by US retailers and their cordless tool lineup seems to pale in comparison to the selection and technology from brands like Makita and Milwaukee.
>>
>>1197022
Their grinders are the only thing I would bother with, unless they've got something weird you want. The reviews I've seen don't stack at least the drill/impact up well against everything else. Lowe's can special order them, dunno if prices are competitive.
>>
What's the best manufacturer? TTI, TTTI, TTI, or TTI?
>>
Brand loyalty for such different tools is fucking stupid. Both of you are pants-on-head retarded for drinking the lead-laden Kool-Aid.
>>
>>1197032
Yea except it's not because the batteries usually work with the same brand and they can cost over $100 and that's not including the chargers.
Thread posts: 210
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.