[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi guys. One of the steel tubes that go to the front wheel of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

File: images[1].jpg (2KB, 99x93px) Image search: [Google]
images[1].jpg
2KB, 99x93px
Hi guys.
One of the steel tubes that go to the front wheel of my bike broke off while ago.
Is glueing it back together with epoxy a viable solution, or not?
I got some for fixing my sink and I see it says on the box that it can glue metal, so I figured, hey maybe it will work.
>>
>>1186151
Sure, why not, what could go wrong.
>>
>broke welded metal
>wants to know if epoxy will work

I don't see a single flaw with this plan... but you might as well try it since you have the epoxy already.
>>
>>1186155
it can break off again.
I actually rode for 20-30kms with it being broken, so only one of them held the integrity of the bike. It wasn't on purpose, I just didn't notice.
Anyway, the broken one is the lower one, if it matters.
>>
>>1186151
Won't work anon. Not enough surface area.
Though I guess you could put a pin in the tube to add stiffness.

If it is steel, take it to a muffler shop (not one of the shitty chain stores though) or a small repair shop and ask if they can weld it up for you. I've done that with small parts and usually it costs me a six-pack of beer. (I ask what they want then do a beer run while they weld)
Helps if you clean it up first and leave the wheel on so they can get it straight.
>>
File: photo-3.jpg (250KB, 700x467px) Image search: [Google]
photo-3.jpg
250KB, 700x467px
>>1186151
Learn to braze, braze it.
>>
>>1186157
I see your point, but to be fair. this was a bike that I bought on the cheap from some shady guy about 15 years ago.
>>
>>1186163
Hmm.. after reading that..
Rear wheel, lower? If so you don't need to have the wheel on and it would be easier if you took off anything that would be in the way.
>>
File: w9B8O3glxeE[1].jpg (500KB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
w9B8O3glxeE[1].jpg
500KB, 2000x1500px
>>1186166
>>1186163
front, but yeah same deal I can take everything off.
That was actually one of my original plans, get to some place where they do some work on cars and asking if they can fix it for me.
>>
>>1186174
QUALITY WELD
U
A
L
I
T
Y

W
E
L
D
>>
>>1186164
MIG and TIG brazing is pretty but not worth buying the equipment for something disposable like a bicycle.

I second the muffler shop idea. If you can sand off the paint for about 1/2" back from both pieces that would make for a better weld. That frame was MIG welded in the first place.
>>
>>1186176
Yeah I know.
but again
>shady guy
>dirt cheap
Shit the stuff that was on it was probably worth several times more than the bike itself. Not that I new that at the time of purchase, or even maintained it properly
>>
>>1186178
>>1186178
would I need to do anything to the metal that is left from the previous weld?
>>
>>1186187
Just leave it. Tbqh I would just get another bike, unless you can have it welded up for free.
>>
>>1186187
Clean all paint and rust from the surrounding areas.
>>
>>1186174
Hmm.. They should be able to do that without fucking up the bearings, but I'd disassemble rather than risk it.
Take a wire brush and remove all the paint and rust from the end. Get the metal nice and shiny. If you want them to clean it up for you expect to pay more, surface prep is more of a bitch than welding.
>>
>>1186201
>surface prep is more of a bitch than welding.

It's so hard put the wire brush in the drill and hold down the trigger...
>>
>>1186194
Probly not free, but I was hoping to spend not more than the six pack worth of money.
The whole idea of this bike is - dirt cheap shit that works and I wouldn't care if someone stole it.
And as my friend once put it
>nobody would want to dull their cutters to steal that bike
>>
>>1186201
If you didn't give a shit you could just weld through the fucking paint and it would come out better than original.
>>
>>1186201
>>1186204
oh I can do it with a wire brush and a drill, shit, thanks guys, I d rather buy that, then sand paper, that I am probably going to fucking lose somewhere after using it anyway.
>>
File: usethewholestick.jpg (12KB, 236x236px) Image search: [Google]
usethewholestick.jpg
12KB, 236x236px
>>1186204
It is if you are looking for a cheap buzz job.
>>1186206
SMAW, yes, MIG, not so much. Depends on if you want a good job or boogers.
>>
>>1186211
>MIG, not so much
Meh, I've seen people do it. It's not gonna look great, but there's a good chance it will be stronger than the original weld.

It doesn't smell so good either, and people who do that kind of thing seem to have a tendency to set fire to things as well..
>>
>>1186205
Have any welding friends? You could always try to microwave-transformer or car-battery weld it, though I can't guarantee any success.
>>
>>1186151
time to get a car, fatty
>>
>>1186216
Chances of blowing out on a bike frame cheap enough to break in the first place seem high unless he's already got a finely tunable welder.
>>1186211
This should be in the cringe thread.
>>
What brand is the bike so I know to avoid it? That is not an acceptable failure mode.
>>
>>1186151
Are you sure it isn't aluminum? Steel bikes aren't even worth stealing.
>>
>>1186276
>Steel bikes aren't even worth stealing.
Tell that to /n/, they hate anything that isn't a steel fixie with a passion. But I guess it's better than BMX.
>>
File: AnimuConfused.jpg (39KB, 374x347px) Image search: [Google]
AnimuConfused.jpg
39KB, 374x347px
>>1186211

That pic. I don't understand. D-did they cost close their eyes and wave the welder in general direction of the metal?
>>
>>1186275
it's fat shady guy, let's go to my garage on the outskirt of the city, incorporated brand.
all the, what you call it, accessories or whatever (pedals, brakes, switches, gears) were shimano, the only other writing on the bike was COUNTRY MONTANA.
>>1186276
it's heavy as fuck, so I doubt it's aliminium.
>>
>>1186266
traffic in my city sucks donkey balls, man. besides I usually use my bike to get out of city and into less developed parts of the cities
>>
File: JB Brazing Dropout.jpg (287KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
JB Brazing Dropout.jpg
287KB, 1600x1200px
>>1186178
>MIG and TIG brazing

nu!
>>
>>1186178
>bicycle
>disposable
kys urself
>>
>>1186286
one of these joints are leaking, I can't figure out which one, but by god none of them will ever leak again
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.