[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Creating a rail for a monitor arm to clamp onto

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: Monitor stand v2.png (44KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Monitor stand v2.png
44KB, 1024x768px
Is there a simple way to figure how wide it should be and how long its forward legs braces should be?

My monitors are too low and I want to raise them higher, but I have a fairly small glass desk, so I can't use any clamps on it and it's too small to put two monitor risers on. So I want to make a freestanding rail for a monitor arm to clamp onto capable of holding up two 24" 16:9 monitors (about 24lb altogether). Full outstretched the monitors will probably be out about 12-16" though I never expect it to be that far after the initial positioning.
>>
>>1185762
You really don't have space for a monitor foot? Where are the monitors now? Are you wanting to gain space?
>>
File: 61YIOF9Q89L._SL1500_.jpg (69KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
61YIOF9Q89L._SL1500_.jpg
69KB, 1500x1500px
>>1185762
I'd get one of these and call it a day.
>>
>>1185771
>desk spontaneously explodes, because it's flawed tempered shit
>everything crashes down
OP should also get a freestanding keyboard tray and keep a blast shield around the desk.
>>
>>1185777
I'll replace it when I move in a few months probably. Going to be getting rid of a lot of furniture I've been hoarding.
>>
>>1185771
this is /diy/ faggot, not /buy/
>>
>>1185762
looks nice and sturdy you can make it bigger and just get the vesa plates and make your own monitor holders
what material do you want to use? if you use steel it will probably hold be his weight if not just put weights on the ends of the feet or add a bitt feet on the back of the frame
also thanks for the nice idea for multiple monitors set up if i woudl screww it to my table paricle board it woudl probably brake
>>
>>1185762
Isn't it going to be pinned between your desk and the wall? How do you imagine it falling forward under that scenario? You could just use a strip of ply screwed to the VESA mount and save yourself a the hassle (and legs under your desk getting in the way of your feet to boot).
>>
>>1185762
There's nothing in your design to keep the thing from falling backwards. Unless it's sitting against a wall (in which case why not just wall mount the monitors?)
>>
>>1186576
It'll be up against the wall, though there is molding along the bottom so maybe it should have a little brace at the back too. Also, the monitors should always pull it forward and down in theory, since they'll be hanging in front. The home is a rental and I don't want to fill them in before I leave and the landlord will probably complain if I leave those support anchors in the dry wall.

>>1186541
It'll be against the wall but not the desk. I don't want metal hitting the edge of a tempered glass desk, or maybe I will put it against the desk and put foam between them, that might be a better idea. Even with plywood I'm not sure tempered glass is cut out for it. And if it breaks it'll destroy everything on top.

>>1186540
The model uses aluminum extrusion CAD models so I might just use that. It's like 35-40 bucks worth of 2040 extrusions that's about 30" high and wide enough for each side to hide under the desk. Cheaper if I go with 2020 for some of the pieces.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.