[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Making a smoker

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_4326.jpg (211KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4326.jpg
211KB, 640x640px
Anyone have a tried and true approaches to making a smoker. I can get a used 55 gallon drum from work for free, and have a fluxcore welder and oxy/propane torch set, as well as many other tools.

I want to go with something quick and ugly because I just went on vacation and need to taste some delious brisket as soon as I can.

I was thinking of just removing the paint from the drum, cutting off the top, adding 2 air valves to the bottom, putting in a basket for wood in the bottom and adding some racks. It will just stand up as the drum is intended to do.

Anyone have an experience?
>>
>>1185634
what was the drum used for?
>>
Smoking causes lung cancer
>>
>>1185644

fortunately the cow was already dead
>>
I hope this drum didn't contain any vaporizing compounds. If so, enjoy the tripe to the morgue like that one highschool kid did.
>>
>>1185655
i kek'd. good one anon.
>>
Drums contained Methyl Carbitol, I planned on filling it up all the way with water, leaving the 2 caps off then cutting it off with a zip cut. Once I'm done there I plan on flap disking the inside and burning the inside with a torch. I've read about the poor kid who blew himself up, very sad the proper precautions weren't take

Now that I've answered your drum questions, anyone have experience with the vents of best places to add a thermometer?
>>
>>1185634
Yup. And most rednecks i know have also. My dad has a trailer mounted propane tank half done and i got 3 in my yard right now.

Drums work but suck dick. They rot out fast.

Try and get some sections of pipeline pipe or big tanks.

Make a little smoke box, make a spot in another tank above it for grilling, use the thickest shit u can get.

You dont want the fire in the same compartment. It turns shit and is a pain to use.

Pipe the fire box into another tank a little to one side and above. Then put the exit smoke pipe on top of the cooking tank on the opposite side of the intake from the fire box. This way hot air and smoke rises and circulates shit to a uniform temperature accross your food. Put dampers on the air intake on the bottom of the side of the fire vox and on top of the cooking box exit vent.

Be sure to get a pan for water and check it often.

And get some flavored wood pellets or chips and toss them in a bucket of water with a weight on them to watter log it. Use it for flavor and to fuck the fire off when it gets too wild.

Youtube is also your friend.
>>
easy way: http://lifehacker.com/5350455/build-a-bbq-smoker-for-under-50

your way: Methyl carbitol has a low toxicity per the MSDS, so you're probably good - I'd give it a couple of rinses with water then with another solvent (acetone/mek), then water again, then a few hours/overnight with the heat source as high as you can get it.

For vents, you'll want baffles. I'm guessing you're going to use a heat box or a hot plate, so a baffle on the bottom and a baffle on the top would do - just sheet metal and one you can rotate to open up and back. I usually cut out 2 quarters of a 6" circle or so on opposite sides and then just put a piece through with a 1/4" bolt or something.

1/4" bolts at 120 or 90 degree separation are good for putting grates on, a standard weber 22.5" grate works pretty well and you can get replacements for different sizes all over. A steel rod and some hooks works for bacon and vertical things.

You'll probably want to put some wire handles on either side of the grates so you can lift them up and out.

You don't need the smoker to be 100% sealed, a little leakage is fine, and then it's all about adjusting the baffles etc.

A dish of water in the bottom is good for keeping your moisture up.

Make sure you use a cable gland for your power cable if you do a hot plate so you don't fray the cord or melt it.

Thermometers, you can do a couple of ways. Easiest is in the lid. Better is on the side, drilled through and secured with plumbers putty or epoxy, at about food level. I have a digital thermometer with the probe on a cord and use that, and it has a magnetic readout and just stick it on the side of the smoker.

Good luck!
>>
I am going to rinse it fully, but should I scorch it inside and out until it's pure metal? I know they rot out fast but I have unlimited access to these barrels so I want to make cool shit like bbq s and whatever else a 55 gallon drum can be.
>>
>>1185634
The word you're looking for is Ugly Drum Smoker.

Most people make a big wood fire in the barrel to get rid of any contaminants.
Then just install a 1" valve at the bottom and one at the top, the basket and racks you mentioned and you're more or less good to go.
>>
>>1185634
yeah ive made one. I used an old brick bbq / pizza stove thing the design was a tower where the woods on the bottom, then theres a metal plate and a hole for the smoke, then a tower with racks for the meat. The old bbq cover was then used for the roof. I still need to cut a hole out for the chimney. Good design because it can still be used for a bbq and pizza oven if needed.
>>
>>1187605
Did you cobble this together, or are there plans to be had on the 'lectric interwebs? I've been thinking about doing something a lot like this, and possibly incorporating a blower into it to use it as a charcoal forge for little things that I need to forge on occasion.
>>
>>1187622
me and my friend made some plans for it. it worked a bit better because 1/3 was built (an old bbq i never used). Id say the bottom section where the fire is is 1m x 0.8m x 60cm (height) with a small hole at the front to put wood in and for oxygen to go in, then covered with a metal plate with a hole in it for smoke to go trhough. tower is then 1.5m high with 2 cut openings (turned into doors) for the meat to go in, both at different heights for different racks. Theres also a little brickthing next to it for wood. on the base of the fire part we put clean sand as a base layer. I dont think it would make a good forge because of the size since ours was pretty big, and even if it was smaller idk
>>
Make something like this

https://www.fagbook.com/kuhlsmoker/videos/967058556742602/
>>
>>1187643
Firebox never right below. Or in same chamber. We tried that. Sucks dick
>>
>>1187625
Thanks Anon.
>>
>>1187643
Thats a grill. He wants a smoker.
>>
File: old pic.jpg (85KB, 1024x613px) Image search: [Google]
old pic.jpg
85KB, 1024x613px
>>1185634
Looks like ass but it works. Can cook half a cow at once. Or one really big hog. Goes through wood like a chipper though.
>>
File: 1485027516449.jpg (57KB, 688x688px) Image search: [Google]
1485027516449.jpg
57KB, 688x688px
I'll just leave this here.
>>
>>1188770
It's a grill and a smoker and stove and a fire pit.
>>
>>1188772
>poisoning yourself with fumes from either the coating on the file cabinet or paint

pls dont do this
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.