[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Valve Ferranti television repair

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_4513.jpg (245KB, 930x760px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4513.jpg
245KB, 930x760px
Hello /diy/
A year ago I picked up this set from a carboot sale.
I have not been able to get much life out of it.
As soon as I power it up it blows its fuse.
I've wired it in series with a 200W light bulb to stop it drawing too much off the mains and all the low voltage side appears to be lighting up happily.

I cannot get a wink out of the high voltage side and needless to say no picture or sound.

Does anyone know where I might find some documentation on the set?
I have spent months searching the net and turned up nothing.
>>
File: IMG_4511.jpg (725KB, 1728x1296px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4511.jpg
725KB, 1728x1296px
>>1184171
>>
What I'd do is try replacing every electrolytic capacitor. Are you able to determine their values?
>>
>>1184171
I don't think you need a specific manual for your tv. Most TVs are designed the same.

Divide and conquer. Maybe it has a power board that you can disconnect and test separately? Maybe this part of the circuit could use some more modern components/design? Perhaps you could guess at the output voltage of the psu by looking at the required voltage of the tubes.

Definitely replace the electrolytics. You can also remove the tubes and test each of them. Generally, I would dissemble it and do a complete overhaul. Replacing wires, reflowing connections, making sure there are no shorts to ground.

There are probably methods of testing the picture tube itself too. If that is shot, there is no point in continuing.
>>
File: 1489238447344.jpg (66KB, 441x573px) Image search: [Google]
1489238447344.jpg
66KB, 441x573px
>>1184196
>replacing every electrolytic capacitor
I had that idea.
Wrap the old paper labels round so it don't look changed too.

What I don't like is electrolytic's go bang when they fail and i'm stressed though the roof ATM and can't be doing with capacitors going bang.

I will be replacing the caps in the telly soon.
Thanks for the input
>>
>>1184219
>testing the picture tube itself too. If that is shot, there is no point in continu
I had this in mind.
Never tested a picture tube on it's own so don't know what to do.
Will try and find the pinout.
>>
Try not to die. Touching the wrong thing in there can kill you, even with it unplugged.
>>
>>1184227
It'salright.
I've poked around the insides of a number of telly's to get them going again. I'm just unsure what to do with this set as i've never worked with valve sets and it's giving me little clue as to what's wrong with it and I have no schematic.

WHO WANTS TO SEE A BIG FAT OLD FLYBACK?
>>
>>1184171
Try and find some old TV dudes. Most of the collectors are focused on older ones than that. You will need an RF modulator to do much with it once you get it going. Lots of that era documentation got thrown out about 10 - 20 years ago but there could be some still out there.

Are you a britbong or what?
>>
>>1184235
>I've poked around the insides of a number of telly's to get them going again.

Be aware this could be a live chassis set. I can't see a mains transformer there. Is there a plastic sleeve between the tuner shaft and the knob? Is the antenna connection going via some high voltage capacitors? If yes this may be the TV equivalent of the all american 5 radio.

Live chassis was a thing in both the valve and sold state eras. I've seen a few come through the door where people replaced the broken antenna socket assembly and removed the mains isolation in the process.
>Live roof antenna
>Just waiting for some poor sucker to get thrown off the roof
>>
>>1184171
>I have spent months searching the net and turned up nothing
>>1184173
First of all, list all the vacuum tubes that TV uses !
Most of the TV schematics back then were the same : just find another TV set which uses the same tubes, no matter it's a Philips or a RCA, and just rewire all that crap from scratch.

>>1184507
>Live chassis set
Also this.
Getting ride of the demodulator stuff, because no analog TV is being broadcasted anymore is OK.
Converting to low-q analog from HD just for the point of viewing some pics in a CRT is pointless as most CRTs will be fine in rendering 480p (or even 720p for some old French tubes) straight from the output of a HDMI2RGB converter
>>
>>1185750
>Getting ride of the demodulator stuff

I'd keep it. If you remove it you then run into the issue of how to get signal into it wile maintaining DC isolation from what looks to be a live chassis. If its that old keep it original. If you just want a CRT monitor get a newer one.

>RF modulator
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.