[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DVD/VCR conversion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: dvd1.png (413KB, 607x372px) Image search: [Google]
dvd1.png
413KB, 607x372px
I have a VCR/DVD combo unit with a broken DVD player. The device allows you to convert a VHS to a DVD. The dvd player is a PATA/IDE so I should be able replace it with a dvd drive from an old PC and get it working again. But then I had another idea
>>
File: dvd2.png (713KB, 816x459px) Image search: [Google]
dvd2.png
713KB, 816x459px
In theory it should be possible to replace the dvd drive with some other form of digital storage. This would allow me to convert directly to a video file rather than a dvd.
>>
File: sdAdapter.jpg (108KB, 1001x1001px) Image search: [Google]
sdAdapter.jpg
108KB, 1001x1001px
So I found this adapter on ebay that converts an sd card to an IDE device. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Practical-SD-To-3-5-40Pin-Male-IDE-Hard-Disk-Drive-Adapter-Card-3-5-IDE/221669241129?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140620091118%26meid%3Df8dde156dccb4aeeba2466b781306f8e%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D222115686981
>>
does it have an s-video or some other outputs? connect to a tv-card on your pc and encode to x265
>>
File: dvd3.png (627KB, 816x459px) Image search: [Google]
dvd3.png
627KB, 816x459px
What I am now uncertain of is whether the controller on the VCR will be able to use the storage or not. I can format the SD card to UDF (universal disk format) that most DVD drives use. But I am not sure if this will be enough.
>>
>>1183949
>tv-card
It does have s-video. That would probably be much easier and more likely to work. I am really jazzed by the idea of swapping the dvd player for digital storage tho. I wouldn't have to tie up a computer that way.
>>
>>1183953
It would output it as a dvd formatted mpeg2 which is kind of a pain in the ass. I'd be happy if it just worked with a replacement dvd drive. It probably just needs a new belt to eject the tray.
>>
>>1183956
I have messed around with the DVD drive already and its fugged. I think the problem is mechanical, but it is not as simple as a belt. Broken plastic and stuff.
>>
i have something similar made by philips, which contains both a DVD and a HDD. however, you cant replace either one, coz it's like the Xbox, it has to be a specially-made unit coz they want you to pay monopoly prices to replace or upgrade. fucking capitalist nazis!
>>
>>1183964
Its the firmware on the DVD Drive and HDD. On some devices you can change the firmware so it can work, but it can be a pain in the ass.
>>
It absolutely will not be able to write to storage in that way, sorry OP.

Basically when burning to a DVD/CD the drive itself is taking car of a lot of the work, converting and blocking the data stream for writing. What this means is that the data provided TO the drive is, I lack the correct term but, "raw" as such. This is not the form of data that a hard drive requires. The physical connection is the same yes but the use is not, a computer is easily capable of knowing and using any form the interface can handle, a specialized system like that of your device will not.

Without a firmware replacement this will not work, I am sorry.
>>
>>1183964
>coz it's like the Xbox, it has to be a specially-made unit

Mod Xbox, replace with any IDE HDD.
>>
What I'd do to preserve the mammaries is get a cheap capture device and use a better codec than shitty old mpeg-2.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.